PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Finding a gem in the WR free agency list (more realistic options)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As has already been pointed out, the Steve Smith who is a free agent is not the Steve Smith who's been playing for Carolina. He's the Steve Smith who's been playing for the Rams, formerly of the Giants and Eagles. He hasn't been the same since he had microfracture surgery on his knee.

Well then Im confused Deus because jsull87 was refering to CAR.

---Louis Murphy (CAR)
---Johnnie Knox (CHI) EDIT: may not be a FA due to remaining on PUP for the 2012 season like M.Pryor
---Josh Cribbs (CLE)
---M.Massaquoi (CLE)
---Donnie Avery (IND)
---Devery Henderson (NO)
---Ramses Barden (NYG)
---Dominic Hixon (NYG)
---Jerome Simpson (MIN)
---Brian Hartline (MIA)
---Ted Ginn (SF)
---Brandon Gibson (STL)
---Steve Smith (CAR)
---Derek Hagan (OAK)
---Legadu Nannee (FA)

We can also assume that these following WR free agents will command too much money or are RFA's, so they would not fall into this category of middle/lower tiered:

---Greg Jennings
---Mike Wallace
---Dwayne Bowe
---Danny Amendola
---Victor Cruz (RFA)
---Emanuel Sanders (RFA)

did I miss something?

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for going back in forth with me. I learn a lot that way.

did I miss something?

Pherein--

That is my mistake, and I humbly apologize. jsull87 was quoting my original post with that list, as it was in my bolding and format from page one.

Unfortunately, I made the rookie mistake of grouping Steve Smith with the (CAR) team. When I saw the name "Steve Smith" I must have immediately went back to last offseason when he was a free agent. I also did not remember that there was another S.Smith in the league.

I tried to edit my post, but unfortunately the time period had elapsed to do so. Now we're stuck with Steve Smith followers, and it's...all...my...fault :cool:

Just to clarify the site was indeed correct, and Steve Smith is a free agent, it just isn't the Steve Smith that about 99% of us were thinking of.

Sorry again.

did I miss something?

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for going back in forth with me. I learn a lot that way.

Someone mistakenly thought it was the Panthers' Steve Smith (Supa just posted that it was him), and that mistake's carried throughout the thread. It's obviously not a big deal, but it has thrown some people off. Smith from the Panthers just signed an extension not long ago. Here's a report on it for verification, if anyone is interested:

Steve Smith signs three-year contract extension with Panthers - NFL.com

VictorCruz would be the perfect fast, jump-ball, vertical threat.

I'd pay him 10m/yr easy. But that's me.

If Welker leaves, Hartline would be much better option than Edelman.
Cruz is also an RFA and definitely getting a first round tender.

Although I will say that giving up a first and a big contract for Cruz would be infinitely better than doing the same for Wallace a year ago.

On paper, Harvin is the guy that BB & McD would kill for. I don't see how that ever pans out, unfortunately.

I think Hartline would be a stud with brady throwing to him....the guy had 1000 yards with Ryan Tanehill throwing the ball.

He wants $5 mill a year. not gonna happen

I'm all for bringing in Titus Young for a minimum contract to fight in camp, he'd make a good #3/4 WR. I assume he won't get many looks being a nucklehead. He's only 23, he can still grow up, it's his only choice at this point.

I'm all for bringing in Titus Young for a minimum contract to fight in camp, he'd make a good #3/4 WR. I assume he won't get many looks being a nucklehead. He's only 23, he can still grow up, it's his only choice at this point.

Ugh, after seeing the Superbowl I'm reluctantly inclined to agree. What do you have to lose?

Ugh, after seeing the Superbowl I'm reluctantly inclined to agree. What do you have to lose?

After seeing what the cost would be, I'm wavering on the "He's a bad guy, so no..." position I'd come to.

Young’s 2013 base salary is scheduled to be $555,000.

His contract, which lasts through 2014, also includes an offseason workout bonus of $50,000 and a training-camp reporting bonus of $184,666.

Lions waste no time in parting ways with Titus Young | ProFootballTalk

It's not much money for a potentially excellent return. I'm just not sure he'd survive the beating Mankins would serve up when Mr. Young inevitably lost his mind and did something really stupid.

titus young is like that 28 year old who was successful early on but has a DUI every other weekend now and got caught up in the wrong crowd

Titus Young is exactly what this team does NOT need on offense.

He's undersized and weak. Just like every other WR we have.

Lions waste no time in parting ways with Titus Young | ProFootballTalk

It's not much money for a potentially excellent return.

I think that's really what it comes down to for me in this situation.

Early on I felt the opposite, but after seeing some of the struggles throwing the ball downfield with regularity and also seeing the kind of big plays that won the whole thing, I've changed my mind to..."what the hell."

It's a low risk/high reward type signing. If the team gets bad vibes from him in minis or TC, they can easily let him walk.

Maybe DET just really sucks? If anyone could possibly get through to him it'd be Belichick, and even if it just worked for a year it's much better than nothing.

I'm guessing that with a viable downfield threat and now a decent running game, this offense could be virtually unstoppable.

I'm not nearly as worried about his actual potential or talent as much as I am whether or not he could pick up the offense and stay in line.

He could very well be an upgrade as any one of a number of the WR positions from 3-5.

No one else has that kind of talent and speed on this team currently at that position. EDIT: (Someone else just posted that he had a 4.53 40 yd dash, so I overestimated his speed...although that doesn't seem right to me)

DOUBLE EDIT: (I was right the first time. He doesn't run anywhere close to a 4.53...He runs a 4.43, big difference)

The cost and low risk are enough to warrant a chance. If it doesn't work out there isn't much harm done at all. If it does, a 600,000 or 700,000 salary and high round draft pick (without having to even use one) would solve a lot of issues.

He's certainly not 'the answer', but if he works out he's excellent depth.

He's certainly not 'the answer', but if he works out he's excellent depth.

until he sucker punches someone on the practice field or yells at the WR coaches

until he sucker punches someone on the practice field or yells at the WR coaches

In which case they would make the choice to let him go at minimal risk or cost.

Of course 99% of us made the decision early on that we wouldn't want him here, but there are differences between talent and possible character issues. I think everyone needs to be evaluated differently and individually. If that wasn't the case then we'd likely be without Hernandez, Mallett, and even the 2007 signing of Moss, not to mention someone like R.Harrison to a lesser extent. On top of that we may not have won the 2004 Lombardi since Cory Dillon may have never made it to Foxborough.

If Belichick decided to take a flier on a high round pick who doesn't cost much to improve the WR position then I could hardly blame him. That said, I doubt it will happen.

It's the lack of a significant downfield threat combined with the cost and gamble that bringing in another player brings that makes us even think twice about a guy like this to begin with.

Are we switching from midget CBs to midget WRs? Is that the plan? The midget CB strategy was a disaster, this would be too.

Young 5'11' / 174
Welker 5'9' / 185
lloyd 6'0' / 188
edelman 5'10' / 198

yuck. is it too much to ask for a 6' 2" 220lb WR that could actually fight off a CB?

Are we switching from midget CBs to midget WRs? Is that the plan? The midget CB strategy was a disaster, this would be too.

Young 5'11' / 174
Welker 5'9' / 185
lloyd 6'0' / 188
edelman 5'10' / 198

yuck. is it too much to ask for a 6' 2" 220lb WR that could actually fight off a CB?

Please.... Kindly list all those 6'2" 220lb WRs that can actually fight off CBs who will be available this offseason....

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back