PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Finding a gem in the WR free agency list (more realistic options)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed and im not even drunk cause then its 100 times worse.

So you're saying you inexplicably put Twitter hashtags in your messageboard post...while sober?

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Indeed and im not even drunk cause then its 100 times worse.

One thing you may not have fully considered is that the offense likely benefits in more ways than what you give credit to, in terms of having Wes Welker here.

There are many aspects such as QB protection, the overall play of the offensive line on both runs/passes and the tendency to hide a weakness, the potential extension of Brady's career by allowing him to get the ball out quicker, and the opposing DC who must plan his scheme around trying to double Welker every week which allows other mismatches to be taken advantage of.

Something to think about, that's all.

Eff yea cause #hashtags are serious business brother

Hashtags can be serious business when used properly, which is only on the platform for which they are intended, otherwise known as twitter.

Thanks for stating why we shouldnt keep Welker we cant win the big game with him. Its superbowl or bust for us die hard pats fans. Give me a David Given type guy over welker anyday. If anyone doesnt agree they need to be drug tested. If Wes wasnt a system WR why didnt he put up huge numbers in miami?

This is such a stupid post, but it did make me laugh, so thanks for that.

"us die hard pats fans' remember what this team was like before success. You obviously have no clue about any of that. Yeah, replace Welker with a 'David Given type guy'. What the hell does that mean anyway? Replace Welker with a receiver that has a better defense?

Brady/Welker has been a team since 2007. That's 6 seasons.

2007 - SB
2008 - Brady gone, no playoffs
2009 - Welker gone, blowout
2010 - Blown game to Jets
2011 - SB
2012 - AFCCG

So, in the 4 "healthy" years, they've gotten to 2 Super Bowls and been within 3 minutes or so of winning each one despite major injury issues, gotten to 3 AFC title games, had an undefeated regular season and gone 14-2 in their only truly 'bad' playoff year.

Anyone who wants to break that up should be drug tested.

I'll likely fail that test, though my point remains that financial considerations might unfortunately
supercede football considerations.

I'll likely fail that test, though my point remains that financial considerations might unfortunately
supercede football considerations.

but what have you seen from welker that makes you think they should dump or will dump him. And don't say age. This guys will still produce 100+ catches this year even at 1 year older

but what have you seen from welker that makes you think they should dump or will dump him. And don't say age. This guys will still produce 100+ catches this year even at 1 year older

I think Captain Stone's point is only that the financial implications of keeping Welker may unfortunately not allow him to stay here, not necessarily that he doesn't want him here due to his personal disappointment.

I may be misreading him however, so if that's the case then I apologize.

But at 10 mill, it is bye to Vollmer and Talib.

I believe Welker is slowing down, this is what I see, not read in a stat line. Every player has to go at some time and if Welker goes this year to keep Vollmer and Talib I am ok with it.

I would not mind seeing Gibson here and Endleman back. Welker IMO will not be here for the final (3?) years of Brady's career anyway, and I rather move now and keep the other Vollmer and Talib.

There is also a lot of talk on Ravens boards that Jacoby Jones may need to be cut.

I'd love to add a physical WR like Emanuel Sanders or Boldin to this team.

But at 10 mill, it is bye to Vollmer and Talib.

I believe Welker is slowing down, this is what I see, not read in a stat line. Every player has to go at some time and if Welker goes this year to keep Vollmer and Talib I am ok with it.

I would not mind seeing Gibson here and Endleman back. Welker IMO will not be here for the final (3?) years of Brady's career anyway, and I rather move now and keep the other Vollmer and Talib.

There is also a lot of talk on Ravens boards that Jacoby Jones may need to be cut.

He would be a great acquisition - you've got your deep threat and returner all in one.

He would be a great acquisition - you've got your deep threat and returner all in one.

He's not that great of a deep player despite his highlight catches this year

Maybe not, but he's still better than anyone we have now.

And as Supafly stated to B-to-M, it's not a matter of dumping Welker, it's just a matter of
being able to afford him while at the same time having enough cap flexability to address
all of our other needs, including re-signing Vollmer & Talib (or a reasonable facsimile thereof).

It's possible, but it's still hard to get much of a read on how the Ravens plan to handle some of these pacts.

Jones said today that he wants to retire there, so a restructure or even pay cut may be more in the works than cutting him.

I suppose it will have a lot to do with how they handle Boldin. This quote was from today, courtesy of Mike Florio and PFT:

“I want to retire here,” Jones said during an appearance Wednesday, via the Baltimore Sun.

But the man who landed on the cover of Sports Illustrated and who could have been named Super Bowl XLVII MVP realizes he’s a “role player” in Baltimore. He soon could be playing the role of reducing his cap number for 2013.

While some have speculated that Jones could be cut (really?), the more likely reality is that Jones will receive a contract extension that would give him security while also creating cap space in the coming league year. He’s due to receive a $1 million roster bonus in March, along with a $3 million base salary."

Jones is not the answer. Great returner and recipient of two very, very, timely fortunate blown coverages.

Hearing the Bills won't retain Donald Jones, whos restricted but yet won't be retained. Add him to the list of bargain FA's at WR worth taking a look at??

Hearing the Bills won't retain Donald Jones, whos restricted but yet won't be retained. Add him to the list of bargain FA's at WR worth taking a look at??

Not quite what most of us had in mind, although we did have another Youngstown guy work out in the past for awhile. His name was David Givens (born there).

Belichick lived there himself growing up and recently donated over 50k to one of their local high schools for equipment, so the Y-town connection is interesting, although I'm certainly not claiming that I'd give anything to that, just thought I'd bring it up.

As far as actual talent though, my fear would be that Donald Jones just wouldn't draw many looks from Brady, although he does have some viable 4.46 speed to work with. At 6'0", he isn't quite as small as some of the other WRs, but he also isn't big enough where that aspect would come into play much.

If Belichick decides to bring him in for a look to fill out and improve the bottom spots of the WR corps, then I personally wouldn't have much of a problem with it. I just don't see how he'd be much more of anything than a WR4 or WR5, which would make him the 6th/7th/8th option (depending upon how you would rank the RB options on the pass).

He may provide more youth and speed than Branch of course at that lower end WR slot, but then again we'd lose that all important chemistry that the 2 of them shared. Then again, we're going to lose that no matter what anyway.

Jones is not the answer. Great returner and recipient of two very, very, timely fortunate blown coverages.

He is something that we don't have and it could be a combo win as it would mean he is not a raven.

He could be reworked but from what I gather he would be lower on the list of guys to sign. 1 being Ellebre, 2- mckennie, 3, reed, The 4mill they would save is more than they would in any other move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back