PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Finding a gem in the WR free agency list (more realistic options)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can he retire when he just had a monster postseason?

Honestyly, I know next to nothing about these guys but they are all better than Branch. I suspect we will see some JAG soup (Stallworth, Branch, Gaffney) and maybe one of the guys on this list plus a draft pick. As usual with any Patriots offseason, prepare to be under whelmed...

Honestyly, I know next to nothing about these guys but they are all better than Branch. I suspect we will see some JAG soup (Stallworth, Branch, Gaffney) and maybe one of the guys on this list plus a draft pick. As usual with any Patriots offseason, prepare to be under whelmed...

They've come pretty close to getting the whole thing done lately, and obviously the injury to Gronk was extremely harmful to the cause too, so I'm personally not as worried about the receiver positon as some are.

Branch will almost certainly not be back, I couldn't see how he really could at this point.

If we are able to keep Welker, select a draft pick, possibly take someone off of this list and/or develop the 6'5" Holmes at all, it could still be an improvement from last year...which was an improvement from the year before with Llyod replacing Branch.

I agree that many should temper their expectations though, because they are often too high, particularly at this position.

Da Bears have officially released Johnny Knox, so he can now be re-added to the list
of available WRs; and in his case, he can be signed immediately.

Edit: just read Kevin Seifert's entry in espn's NFCN blog. Doesn't look like Knox is playing
any time soon, if ever.

Huh? What hasn't worked? Devin McCourty at safety paired up with any number of top tier free agent safeties that come at a position that is somewhat affordable for a top notch player?

I didn't remember that happening yet...

As far as the CB position goes, it HAS worked, just not to the degree that we'd have liked it to.

I can think of two names off the top of my head that worked just fine...McCourty and Dennard. They are also our top 2 secondary players moving forward.

Yes, I'd much rather go top notch FA at safety which is much more cost efficient and deeper, then overpay at the position of FA CB. That only leaves one other way to get another cornerback....you tell me what it is?

Sup, Wait a minute...What? Cousin you don't believe that. BB is just not good at DB's and WR's. He makes better FA pick ups and trades.

In the last five years we have drafted what ten DB's and two WR. MCourty is a CB who couldn't make it there and is an O.K. Safety. Dennard might be the only decent pick.

I beg BB not to go for a WR or DB. Wasted picks.
DW Toys

DW Toys

PatsFans, Early 2010:
"Belichick can't draft TEs. I hope he never tries again."

McCourty is a CB who couldn't make it there and is an O.K. Safety. Dennard might be the only decent pick.

DW Toys

I'm not going to dispute the fact that as of right now, he has made better FA signings at those positions, but when you factor in the overall success/failure rate itself in the draft, it is also somewhat overblown.

ALL of McCourty, Dennard, and Wilson should have promising futures in this secondary.

Let's look at the 3 just last year alone:

--McCourty: 5 INT, 2 Forced Fumbles, and 13 passes defended (1 TD scored)

--Wilson: 4 INT, 2 Fumbles recovered, and 6 passes defended

--Dennard: 3 INT, 1 Forced Fumble, and 7 passes defended (1 TD scored)

Are you serious?

Those look like pretty decent numbers to go on, and with any kind of stability in the secondary at all, these guys should be able to take another step forward.

You can't hit on the picks if you don't attempt to take them, and I see it the opposite that you do. I actually hope that Belichick continues to address those positions until he gets it right. It's the only real way to build a good team in the salary cap era. We can make the occasional FA acquisition here and there for stability to build around, but it's impossible to be able to afford those kinds of players, especially when the salary cap has remained flat for a few years now.

As far as Devin McCourty goes, we will have to disagree. I saw someone who had absolutely pathetically horrible safety play last season, which is an enormous part of the problem.

If you don't think McCourty has any value, just watch after the 2014 season when he's a free agent...Anyone who has those kinds of natural talents and versatility to play both positions effectively is very rare. McCourty's great rookie season was almost equaled this past year in a statistical rate, so I disagree about him not being very good.

DW Toys

If he doesn't address those positions, there'd be almost no way of improving upon them.

They certainly won't be able to pay the market price (not that Belichick would do that anyway) at the position of CB in free agency, at least not more than every few years or so with a middle tiered free agent in the mold of Leigh Bodden or something.

I'm hoping for at least one higher round pick for the secondary this year. Belichick is a smart enough guy to change up his approach if he feels that is what needs to be done, and only he would know that.

Keep the faith, DW Toys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey