Not open for further replies.
BelichickFan said:
And he fixed his problem.

I don't care, the number speak for themselves :
(fumble %)

Faulk : Career : 2.3%, 2005 : 3%
Dillon : Career : 1%, 2005 : 0.4%
Barber : Career : 1.7%, 2005 : 0.2%

I'm not denying the fumble%, but like I said, you use Faulk as a spot player and you get productive results. Use him as a feature back, and it becomes diminishing returns. When the Dillon struggled in 2005, and Antwain Smith was ineffective in 2002-2003, BB started using Faulk in more featured roles. This is where the fumbling problem occured. When the running game is working, BB/Weis have, in the past, used Kevin effectively as a 1st-down grabber while minimizing the fumble risks to an acceptable level. It's almost paradoxial; the less you use Faulk, the more productive he is.

Last edited:
Brady-To-Branch said:
I'm not denying the fumble%, but like I said, you use Faulk as a spot player and you get productive results. Use him as a feature back, and it becomes diminishing returns.
I don't have the time, energy or desire to look it up but I'd be curious if Faulk has a consistent fumble percent by carry throughout his career or if he fumbles more after X number of carries. If the latter is true, I agree with you. OTOH, if the number say he fumbles as much in his 1-5 touches as compared to his 10-15 touches in a game then we know he will fumble, it's just a matter of when.

I wonder if those numbers are available anywhere.

Box_O_Rocks said:
And before the Maroney for third down back crowd takes the floor, part of Faulk's big play skill set is his blitz pick-up, he is one of the better backs in the league at identifying the blitz, getting himself in the right position, and cleanly blocking the blitzer. Not to denigrate Maroney, but until he consistently demonstrates his ability in all three aspects of a third down back's job (receiving, blocking, running), he isn't Faulk's equal or better in that role.

Early in his career, Faulk blocked like a paper doll. BB coached him up to were he his today, a tough and smart blocker in blitz pick up.

Physically, Maroney has a head start over Faulk when he was a rookie, so I don't doubt he'll be a fine blocker sooner rather than later.

That said, I agree, Faulk is still my #1 choice for 3rd-down back. However, his age, contract status, and recent foot problems might be factors in determining his role in 2006.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I will add my vote for having Kevin attend the Tiki Barber Fumbleitis Rehabilitation Clinic. I sincerely hope Kevin spends every minute of his off-season workouts carrying a football in the approved Tiki tuck.
We all would like that but he's not a second year player. He's been around a long time now, and nothing changes (although he was better with fumbles in 2004 but, again, not in 2005).

Brady-To-Branch said:
Early in his career, Faulk blocked like a paper doll. BB coached him up to were he his today, a tough and smart blocker in blitz pick up.

Physically, Maroney has a head start over Faulk when he was a rookie, so I don't doubt he'll be a fine blocker sooner rather than later.

That said, I agree, Faulk is still my #1 choice for 3rd-down back. However, his age, contract status, and recent foot problems might be factors in determining his role in 2006.
Agreed, Maroney has the tools, he just needs to develop them. I can see BB carrying four RB/FBs this year as Maroney develops his blocking and receiving skills. It also touches on Tunescribe's thread pondering Maroney beating out Dillon; I'd suspect he splits more time with Faulk this season to exercise his receiving and blocking skills, 2007 is when he becomes Cory's nightmare.

BelichickFan said:
We all would like that but he's not a second year player. He's been around a long time now, and nothing changes (although he was better with fumbles in 2004 but, again, not in 2005).
Yep, he's got the gray hairs and the laugh lines, but fumbles or no, going into Training Camp, he is still the best bet for the crunch time utility back role until BB finds a work-around or a suitable replacement. Some days you just have to take the bad with the good. :(

The numbers are hard to work out but I came to similar numbers for Faulk:

Career 21 fumbles, 1047 touches= 2.0%

League avg 14,700 Rushes and 10000 complete passes:378 fum ~ 1.5%.
(2005) This does not include PR and KR which I expect results in more fumbles and is 207 of Faulk's touches.

Other factors:

a) League wise many are in a dome (dry ball)(eg. MFaulk, EJames ~1%)
b) NE weather
c) Big backs have a lot of 3rd and 1-2 yds, lock up the ball and push.
d) the 3rd and long back is often in a higher speed impact in the open trying to reach the sticks.
e) I expect more fumbles after completed passes than a handoff,

WE all see what we expect, and what the media tell us is the case. I don't think Kevin Faulk's fumble rate is that bad given the situations he has played in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3