PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eric Warfield Signing: Yeah Or Nay???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't hate the depth they are creating. Besides, he couldn't be any worse than Poole and Starks. Well, I sure as hell hope not anyway.

Jacky Roberts said:
Wow, another 30 year old corner with coverage issues. When is the parade?

I say NAY.

Wow, our resident pessimist chimes in again.

Did you have the same reaction when they signed OTIS?

Last edited:
b72s said:
Otis Smith Part II

This is exactly what I was thinking. Only, who is the 'Ty Law' portion of the duo?

I have extremely high hopes for Ellis Hobbs. I think he's a starting caliber player. I think he will start, the other position for me is up in the air. I am low on Samuel as he took over the 'please burn me' sign on his back after Starks went down.

Gay is a question mark in my eyes. Who knows where he fits in. Poteat is Poteat. Scott is a guy that I thought was playing well before he got injured last season.

I think between Scott, Hobbs, Samuel and Warfield that we will find two starting CBs. I like our depth at these positions now, but I just hope that we can field two or three guys that won't give up 15 catches a game.

Brownfan80 said:
This is exactly what I was thinking. Only, who is the 'Ty Law' portion of the duo?

I have extremely high hopes for Ellis Hobbs. I think he's a starting caliber player. I think he will start, the other position for me is up in the air. I am low on Samuel as he took over the 'please burn me' sign on his back after Starks went down.

Gay is a question mark in my eyes. Who knows where he fits in. Poteat is Poteat. Scott is a guy that I thought was playing well before he got injured last season.

I think between Scott, Hobbs, Samuel and Warfield that we will find two starting CBs. I like our depth at these positions now, but I just hope that we can field two or three guys that won't give up 15 catches a game.

I agree with you, but I hope that whoever starts from that group is not made of GLASS. Over the last two years, it seemed like we had the most fragile secondary in the league.

I've heard that he's had some off-the-field issues (with drugs, etc). Can anyone confirm this?

I'm all for signing any guy that can help us out. Hopefully, he will. I'm glad they got a veteran, and maybe they'll get a good rookie to bring along in the draft. Wasn't Hobbs a later-round pick, too?

Nay

I get my share of AFCW games (especially when the Raiders are blacked out) and although Warfield has gotten better over the years, I'm not impressed by the guy. He plays things in front of him well, but has trouble covering deep...think Terrell Buckley. Decent nickel, dime or backup safety, but if injuries force him to play CB...yikes.

Regards,
Chris

JETSFAN said:
He is not a great athlete he is an average player at best. The Pats are Doomed this season I feel for you guys.:eek:

Pats could go 5-11 and still finish ahead of the Jets next year. Jets might be the worst team in football.

I think it all depends on what everyone is expecting out of the guy. If you are looking for a solid vet who could would hard and help our team than I say yeah. If we are looking for someone to come in and start than nay.

re

milwaukeebeers44 said:
I've heard that he's had some off-the-field issues (with drugs, etc). Can anyone confirm this?

He's had 3 DUI's. It's not like we have always had angels on the team. Remember Ty Law and his ecstasy pills (I mean his relatives' pills *cough*)?

This will not be a problem...if you read anything about him, he is AA and dealing with it.

Dank Franklin said:
Can't hate the depth they are creating. Besides, he couldn't be any worse than Poole and Starks. Well, I sure as hell hope not anyway.

I believe he's 2 years younger than Starks and 4 years younger than Poole, so this (barely) fits into our youth movement!

I can give you some perspective as a Chiefs fan. I think overall it was a good pickup by the Pats, especially considering the cost. But I think the original poster is looking through rose covered glasses when reminiscing about Warfield’s past.

Warfield was many in a long line of safeties drafted and then converted to CB by the Chiefs. He struggled immensely his first few years and was benched by Cunningham as his play was so inconsistent. Later, he was forced into more playing time when Hasty was let go for cap reasons, and he continued to struggle. Warfield has average speed and can play decent man coverage, but struggles in zone coverage. KC Fans booed him because of his play, not his DUIs. And knowing the fans in NE, they would have booed his play as well. The reference to injuries is interesting, as it was never a real issue for Warfield. The last 3 years, he has struggled with chronic back problems, but he plays and missed only 1 game due to injury the last 5 years. The Chiefs were extremely patient with Warfield and he began to develop into a decent CB. Warfield struggles with a lapse of concentration during the game creating inconsistent play. You will watch a play or 2 quarters where Warfield will shut down a top 10 WR and think that he finally has developed, and then watch him blow coverage and give up a 70 yard TD. The big plays given up by the Chiefs last year were on Warfield. For instance, Both TDs against Buffalo were on Warfield, beaten in man coverage on both plays, the first TD should have been intercepted as the ball was underthrown allowing Warfield to catch up to the WR, but Warfield mistimed the jump and the WR came down with the ball. The 70+ yard TD against Miami was against Warfield, with safety help deep and in prevent coverage, he got turned around downfield by the WR and blew the coverage.

Again, Warfield did improve and eventually signed a decent contract for good $$, but nowhere near the money of an elite CB, yet a significant number of fans had a hard time forgetting his poor play in the past. I hope Warfield does well with NE. He has talent and experience. A definite strength IMO, would be his tackling, he is a very solid tackler for a CB, he hits with power and can deliver a shot. Not a real ball hawk, will miss interceptions through his hands, but will play the ball effectively and make some plays/INT's/TDs.

I was surprised the Chiefs cut him because it wasn’t a money issue, they never asked him to restructure, it was a performance issue. IMO, if Battle didn’t suffer the Achilles injury last year in training camp, Warfield would have been cut then.

Off the field, Warfield is a legendary partier, and is only one transgression away from a 1-year long NFL suspension. His problems have been drinking related, I am not aware of any drug issues. Hopefully that is beyond him.

Sorry for the long rant.

Could be Better?

Brownfan80 said:
I think between Scott, Hobbs, Samuel and Warfield that we will find two starting CBs.

Scott - cut by the Steelers (and not for $ reasons)

Hobbs - Go to the dictionary, look up "diminutive"

Samuel - Decent player but his best role is really as a nickel back.

Warfield - One drink away from "away"

Hardly throws fear into the hearts of TO, Moulds etc eh? Where is the "not on my side of the field" player? Don't you think we could use one? I know that BB can spin straw into gold with his schemes (especially if his players are very experienced vets), but I think we could use a Cromartie, Hill, or even a Marshall back there to help out. In the meantime, I'll keep Warfield in my prayers. Being a drunk sucks.

Yeah it was, but you have to start somewhere. I think E.W. will fit in well, and provide the much needed experience. He's not going to win games by himself, but I think that he will improve the secondary, which is a good start.

MAChiefs said:
I can give you some perspective as a Chiefs fan. I think overall it was a good pickup by the Pats, especially considering the cost. But I think the original poster is looking through rose covered glasses when reminiscing about Warfield’s past.

Warfield was many in a long line of safeties drafted and then converted to CB by the Chiefs. He struggled immensely his first few years and was benched by Cunningham as his play was so inconsistent. Later, he was forced into more playing time when Hasty was let go for cap reasons, and he continued to struggle. Warfield has average speed and can play decent man coverage, but struggles in zone coverage. KC Fans booed him because of his play, not his DUIs. And knowing the fans in NE, they would have booed his play as well. The reference to injuries is interesting, as it was never a real issue for Warfield. The last 3 years, he has struggled with chronic back problems, but he plays and missed only 1 game due to injury the last 5 years. The Chiefs were extremely patient with Warfield and he began to develop into a decent CB. Warfield struggles with a lapse of concentration during the game creating inconsistent play. You will watch a play or 2 quarters where Warfield will shut down a top 10 WR and think that he finally has developed, and then watch him blow coverage and give up a 70 yard TD. The big plays given up by the Chiefs last year were on Warfield. For instance, Both TDs against Buffalo were on Warfield, beaten in man coverage on both plays, the first TD should have been intercepted as the ball was underthrown allowing Warfield to catch up to the WR, but Warfield mistimed the jump and the WR came down with the ball. The 70+ yard TD against Miami was against Warfield, with safety help deep and in prevent coverage, he got turned around downfield by the WR and blew the coverage.

Again, Warfield did improve and eventually signed a decent contract for good $$, but nowhere near the money of an elite CB, yet a significant number of fans had a hard time forgetting his poor play in the past. I hope Warfield does well with NE. He has talent and experience. A definite strength IMO, would be his tackling, he is a very solid tackler for a CB, he hits with power and can deliver a shot. Not a real ball hawk, will miss interceptions through his hands, but will play the ball effectively and make some plays/INT's/TDs.

I was surprised the Chiefs cut him because it wasn’t a money issue, they never asked him to restructure, it was a performance issue. IMO, if Battle didn’t suffer the Achilles injury last year in training camp, Warfield would have been cut then.

Off the field, Warfield is a legendary partier, and is only one transgression away from a 1-year long NFL suspension. His problems have been drinking related, I am not aware of any drug issues. Hopefully that is beyond him.

Sorry for the long rant.

If E.W. was so terrible then why did K.C. sign him to such a long contract, I think it was 5 or 7 years (not sure)? Apparently there was a lot of potential somewhere, and I do not see Mr. Gunther, just handing out a long term contract to anybody. And I am pretty sure that the Chiefs releasing him was not entirely performance based. Yeah, he did get burned here and there, but who on the Chiefs team could've done better. The DUI's had a lot to do with it. Because he played consistently over past seasons, well until his suspension. I just think that he will fit into the system well in N.E., he has size, versatility, you named his weaknesses but they can be somewhat remedied with a good scheme (BB is the King at that). And honestly the "partying" and what not might be over??? Who knows??? People change, maybe he got himself a serious girlfriend or some sort of hobby. I mean after all he is not the first 'famous' person to turn to booze or drugs, and then turn the corner. I just think that Warfield will fit in N.E. better than he did in K.C., and I hope K.C. the best this next year, I'll be rooting with ya as long as you aren't playing the Pats. Hope to see you in the AFC 'ship.

Still better in N.E.!!!

MAChiefs said:

Sorry for the long rant.

If E.W. was so terrible then why did K.C. sign him to such a long contract, I think it was 5 or 7 years (not sure)? Apparently there was a lot of potential somewhere, and I do not see Mr. Gunther, just handing out a long term contract to anybody. And I am pretty sure that the Chiefs releasing him was not entirely performance based. Yeah, he did get burned here and there, but who on the Chiefs team could've done better. The DUI's had a lot to do with it. Because he played consistently over past seasons, well until his suspension. About the Booing's. The fans should have said "You suck!!!" or "Find a new job!!!" when they booed him, not "You are nothing but an alcoholic" "Go drink some more" "AA classes start on Tuesday". That just makes me think that the fans were booing his off-the-field behavior, more than his play, but I could be wrong. As far as the injuries comment goes.... just because he played does not mean that he wasn't bothered by it. He played several games with those "chronic back problems", and actually I think he left a couple games early because of it (I guarantee several series'). I just think that he will fit into the system well in N.E., he has size, versatility, you named his weaknesses but they can be somewhat remedied with a good scheme (BB is the King at that). And honestly the "partying" and what not might be over??? Who knows??? People change, maybe he got himself a serious girlfriend or some sort of hobby. I mean after all he is not the first 'famous' person to turn to booze or drugs, and then turn the corner. I just think that Warfield will fit in N.E. better than he did in K.C., and I hope K.C. the best this next year, I'll be rooting with ya as long as you aren't playing the Pats. Hope to see you in the AFC 'ship.

Last edited:
corndogg_3 said:
Yeah it was, but you have to start somewhere. I think E.W. will fit in well, and provide the much needed experience. He's not going to win games by himself, but I think that he will improve the secondary, which is a good start.

E.W. already fits in well in our secondary. I like Wilson.

As long as he isn't suspended again, history says he has a real good chance to stay on the field and play at an adequate level. For a team that has had to play Troy Brown at CB a significant amount the past two years, this is a very good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes