PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eric Warfield Signing: Yeah Or Nay???

Status
Not open for further replies.

corndogg_3

Rookie
Reaction score
What do y'all think of the Warfield signing? I think that it's a solid pick-up. He's a great athlete, and a great person too. Being from Cornhusker Nation, I have followed him. He was a 7th round (216th overall) pick, as a safety. He played safety for the 'Skers and then moved on as the Nickel for the Chiefs. He evolved into a great corner over his years in the league. A lot of pressure was put on him to be the #1 corner, because of his large contract. I see Warfield as more of a #2 corner. And a damn good one at that. As mentioned in previous posts, he has the flexibility to play S, NB, or CB. I think that he will be a great asset to the Pats. The biggest problem he had in KC was the expectations were set a little high. Then when he had problems with injuries and off the field, the fans kind of turned against him. That was the biggest problem. It is hard to give everything you have for a program, when the fans BOO you during the starting line-ups. I do not see this happening in New England. I think that he has a huge heart, and will be great for the Pats. And I expect him to move into the starting line-ups, probably as the #2, early in the season. What do y'all think?

Gotta understand we were kind of burnt (like toast) last year by the Starks FA signing and others. Many of us have reverted to the 'wait and see and hope for the best' mode. Your guy is interesting, I think it's a good signing, but I ain't getting excited about nobody till I see 'em on the field. :)

corndogg_3 said:
.... he has the flexibility to play S, NB, or CB....

That is the trademark value to the team for BB & Pioli in this choice. Flexibility and veteran experience. Good signing to all outward appearances and will be observed closely during Training Camp.:cool:

Yay or Nay? My reaction is "eh."

Signing Warfield is just about the best move we can make at this point. He's a solid player, adds some size, nice versatility. Honestly, I prefer him at this stage to Law or Woodson. But I have a hard time getting excited about signing a 2nd tier corner given our recent history.

My reaction is Yeah.
I like this signing for one basic reason. EXPERIENCE. We have a lot of young DBs on this team. We all saw what happened when Rodney went down, and I hope I don't see it again. There was no one back there to take command. If not for Artrell Hawkins who knows if they would have ever settled things down in the secondary. We now have good depth, and a decent mix of youth and experience.
Hopefully the curse that the Colts put on our secondary has been lifted, and these guys can stay healthy. :D

Last edited:
a qualified yeah, dependent on the numbers, he is coming to a team that is very much the focal point of many beat writers..who wait for Belichick to make a mistake, the wrath will probably be more directed at Bill rather than Warfield...

I see it as a good signing. It is different than Starks because we did not lose anything to get him. No $$$ anouncement as of yet, but I am confident BB spent well. My hope is another Rodney. Eric is 30 and has gas still in the tank. I hope he explodes in our system at whatever position he plays.

I like it...........if you look over his stats it sceams out "CONSISTENCY" each and every season.

Last edited:
Nay

Dont like the signing at all. The NE pass defense was near the bottom of the league last year. IMO. its going to take alot more than Eric Warfield to bring it out of the sewer.

I do hope BB targets a DB @ 21.

He is not a great athlete he is an average player at best. The Pats are Doomed this season I feel for you guys.:eek:

Think of this, the Patriots still won 10 (really 11 games they tanked Phins game) with the likes of Antrell Hawkins, Mike Stone, rookie Ellis Hobbs, Asante Samuels, Eugene Wilson rookie James Sanders, Hank Poteat, and 1 year player Guss Scott. As soon as Belichick took over the Defensive line coaching from the NOW JETS HEAD COACH MANGINI the Patriots ran off about 6-7 wins before really losing to Denver in which the defense played great but got stiffed on bad calls. Your going to tell me Warfield isnt an upgrade over any of those guys?

Do you remember all those fade passes the Patriots couldn't defend?

Last edited:
Wow, another 30 year old corner with coverage issues. When is the parade?

I say NAY.

I like it the signing. Of course I'm a Husker fan so I could be a little biased but I really do think it will work out. It's the typical Belichick/Pioli signing. An older guy who isn't spectacular by any means. I think he will still make a great CB and wouldn't be surprised to see him play some FS if Wilson gets banged up. There's another option I didn't consider. Move Warfield to FS then move Wilson back to CB. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Again Otis my Man

Otis Smith Part II

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Gotta understand we were kind of burnt (like toast) last year by the Starks FA signing and others.

hey goober--Starks was a trade, not a FA signing

personally I like the Warfield move--DEPTH and TRAINING CAMP FODDER...

I think it was a good move. We need the experience at CB.

need veteran DBs back there

atlpatsfan said:
I think it was a good move. We need the experience at CB.
i like it for the same reason. to my knowledge none of our CBs - Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, & Poteat has ever played with a vet other than Rodney. it'll be good in that respect, and also Warfield has some size.
but i really, really worry about those multiple DUIs. i have experience with folks trying to put the booze down, and it is really hard. heck, he may not be able to get a drivers license in MA.

JETSFAN said:
He is not a great athlete he is an average player at best. The Pats are Doomed this season I feel for you guys.:eek:

Get off the board trash troll

ilduce06410 said:
i like it for the same reason. to my knowledge none of our CBs - Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, & Poteat has ever played with a vet other than Rodney. it'll be good in that respect, and also Warfield has some size.
but i really, really worry about those multiple DUIs. i have experience with folks trying to put the booze down, and it is really hard. heck, he may not be able to get a drivers license in MA.
I am a bit concerned about that..but I also understand he does a lot of community and charity work...he may have turned the corner so to speak on that. I agree it's a good signing..Edub will make a difference..a GOOD difference here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down