PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eli over Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the media and talking heads just can't look past the last games. They are saying Brady was outplayed by Flacco. They were both 22-36 with Flacco getting a few more yards. They both led their teams on 5 scoring drives, 2 touchdown and 3 field goal attempts. It doesn't make a difference to me if the ball is run in or thrown in, it still counts. The only difference I see is that Brady threw 2 picks to Flacco's one. You woud also have to admit that Brady's level of difficulty was far greater by playing the Raven's defense.
I don't want take anything away from Eli, but he didn't exactly have a great game either, at least not enough to say he is the best QB in the SB. He did throw 26 incompletions. After the score was tied when the giants received a gift from the 49ers ST, Manning had the ball for 5 drives and did nothing with it. Three times in regulation and twice in OT he couldn't move his offence to get the winning score. The article seems to give a lot of credence to the fact that Eli threw for 15 fourth quarter TDs. That means in 16 games in the first three quarters he only threw 14 tds. That's less than one per game in the first 3 quarters. I guess Brady prefers to throw for his TDs earlier in the game. See how easily you can manipulate numbers to back any argument.

Could you imagine Brady going against this (Patriots) defense? With our bad secondary, anyone should light them up.

7 TDs, 643 yards and 0 INTs ;)

Last edited:
In the NFL, it's

Brady
Rodgers
Brees
Roethlisberger
Rivers

And then there's the rest. Some might even question Rivers on that list. Eli doesn't make the cut, sorry.

In the NFL, it's

Brady
Rodgers
Brees
Roethlisberger
Rivers

And then there's the rest. Some might even question Rivers on that list. Eli doesn't make the cut, sorry.

I can agree with this. If Eli has another season like this season, he's definately on that list though.

Um, no. Had Marino, Favre and Unitas led the league in INT's their whole career and no other category, I'd take issue. But those guys have won league MVP's and numerous other awards something Eli hasn't even come close to doing...except Super Bowl MVP once.

i notice u left farve out of this conversation ;)

and this is where Eli ranked in INTs during his career:

2011: 7th
2010: 1st
2009: 11th
2008: 20th
2007: 1st

always high but doesn't always lead the league at all. Unitas threw in the 20s for interceptions 5 times in his career. Dan Marino lead the league in picks 1 time but always was around the top 5

Unitas lead the league 3 times and if not for George Blanda throwing 42 INTs in one year, he would of lead the league 4 times.

But again, what an effective way to make your point by just totally dismissing the biggest name that would of made my point: Brett Farve

I will say this.. if Brady does indeed win his 4th then yes he goes down as GOAT.. but if Eli takes Brady and Bill down again... how do you label Eli?? Patriot killer and owns Brady?

I would label him an enigma. If he retired the next day, he would have a mediocre at best career outside of two outstanding playoff runs. You can't even consider either season great. He is someone that has never been considered a top player and has been constantly criticized by his own fanbase. If Eli wins, which he has a very good chance to do, he is the ultimate hot streak quarterback the league has probably ever seen.

lol stop. First off impossible one handed catch? You do realize these guys ARE professionals right?

That play wasn't off the helmet vs the PAck, it wasn't just a toss up hail mary, it was a scripted deep ball. The ball dropped directly to Nicks, that was more of a beautiful ball by Eli than anything. The element of surprise because the defenders infront of him were waiting for an underneath route.

And so let me get this straight... its lucky that we stripped that kid Williams at the end of the game, but it was talent for u guys to knock the ball out of Evans hands on that "Drop" in the endzone?

In the face! IN THE FACE! Try again. :D

The luck wasn't in the strip; the luck was an idiot PR who'd already cost his team a TD was dumb enough to run through traffic with it.

And on that catch in the first game (Ballard?) was falling down and made a one-armed grab while the ball was moving away from him. He couldn't do it again if you gave him 50 tries.

Don't you think a Hall of Fame quarterback should at least have SOME statistically good years? Maybe at least some MVP consideration? I mean it has to be something besides just two SBs, doesn't it? Manning's best statistical year was 2009. He was 11th in passer rating that year. Hes only made the pro bowl twice in eight years. Is there anything other than the potential for SB in his favor?

And by the way, I don't think Rothlisberger is in either. Its the Hall of Fame, not the hall of very good.

besides interceptions, how has Eli not had good years? The Dude ALWAYS throws TDs....

if it was always about stats only, then Troy Aikman would not be in the hall of fame

Good point. If Aikman's in, then anyone can get in.

Aikman deserves it. There is something to be said about multiple SB wins. They shouldn't be the only consideration, but he wasn't a bystander on those SB runs.

Stats are great for measuring QB's, but certainly, there are a few other factors. Postseason success is one.

Umm, the article being referenced that started this thread is titled "NY Giants quarterback Eli Manning is not only in Tom Brady's 'elite' class, he is a superior player this season." How is that not saying Eli had a better season? That's what's being debated...

ahh my bad missed that. Just read the title, posted my thoughts and have been responding since.

I think a small case can be made seeing how Eli has stepped up when our backs were against the wall, but u guys didn't have ur backs against the wall cuz Brady did his thing.

I think its ridiculous to say Eli had a better year

I do think its VERY realistic to say that i don't think any QB has an advantage over the other going into this game

ahh my bad missed that. Just read the title, posted my thoughts and have been responding since.

I think a small case can be made seeing how Eli has stepped up when our backs were against the wall, but u guys didn't have ur backs against the wall cuz Brady did his thing.

I think its ridiculous to say Eli had a better year

I do think its VERY realistic to say that i don't think any QB has an advantage over the other going into this game

But they both are playing differing defenses. I think everything else being equal (including defenses and offensive weapons), anybody who picks Eli over Brady is crazy.

Aikman deserves it. There is something to be said about multiple SB wins. They shouldn't be the only consideration, but he wasn't a bystander on those SB runs.

Stats are great for measuring QB's, but certainly, there are a few other factors. Postseason success is one.

Troy Aikman

The only reason he's in is because of 1) the rings, and 2) the HOFers he played with. He pretty much was a bystander.

Hey, Namath's only in the HOF because of his guarantee. His numbers were awful.

I change my mind. Eli's going in.

In THIS SB, furious with the media and seeking revenge for what his defense and o-line did in 2007... I'm hands down choosing Thomas Brady!

Eli throws something in the air hoping someone will catch it which explains his 25 INTs this year. SB 42, he threw some garbage out there and by luck Tyree caught the ball. It's not like Eli was so extra clutch and threw the perfect catch and knew it would be caught, it was pure utter LUCK! When it was caught, momentum was on his side and the Pats D got old and rusty, which led to E throwing the TD against a wide open Burress.

Not once while watching that travesty take place did I think "WOW, this boy is clutch and a HOFer!" I could only think about how the defense let the Pats down. Sure Eli will make the HOF any QB with a ring ('cept Dilfer) will likely make the HOF. But does that mean his name should be mentioned in the same sentence as Brady? NOPE!

Had the niners won that game, the media would be overrating Alex Smith and putting him in the same category as Brady as well. They already tried it with Tebow. It's just typical media who is tired of seeing Brady's success, I mean, he only makes the superbowl it seems every 2 years. I couldn't blame em', I guess if I didn't love Brady so... I would be hating too.

I think the Giants ST did a good job of knocking the ball away. Williams was holding the ball away from his body and the tackler niticed this and went to bat the ball away. Good ST play. The first turnover was a little more lucky, but I blame Williams for not trying to go for the ball once it hit his knee. The Giants were alert enough to keep playing until you hear the whistle.

On Moore's knockaway of the ball, if it was Ed Reed who made the exact same play it would have been called a great defensive play on his part and not a drop.

we def got lucky on that ball grazing his knee. I will never dispute that

I just take exception by saying the second fumble was a lucky thing. IF it was then you have to consider the play Moore made as lucky too.

Personally, I think they were both good defensive plays, not luck. I totally agree with your assessment if Reed made the play.

IF 49ers STs had those plays happen to them where they got those two turnovers, the talking heads that were making the point all week about how San Frans special teams were going to dominate us, would of been a talking point. But since it happened to us, we were lucky (which on the first we were).

Its just the way it is.

2011 Matthew Stafford > 2011 Eli Manning
2011 Matt Schaub > 2011 Eli Manning

Anyone who thinks that Eli is playing better than Brady apparently didn't watch the NFCCG. Brady had a bad day on Sunday, but Eli wasn't really much better. The Giants won on the strength of ST turnovers. That's it- their offense wasn't moving the ball with any real effectiveness.

These people also seem to forget that Brady is two weeks removed from setting touchdown records for a playoff game.

Last edited:
I would label him an enigma. If he retired the next day, he would have a mediocre at best career outside of two outstanding playoff runs. You can't even consider either season great. He is someone that has never been considered a top player and has been constantly criticized by his own fanbase. If Eli wins, which he has a very good chance to do, he is the ultimate hot streak quarterback the league has probably ever seen.

LOL enigma huh?? priceless

2 (maybe) superbowl rings, 27579 yards, 185 TDs, 129 INTs after 8 seasons puts him in the HOF? Really?

I have some pretty impressive Tecmo Superbowl numbers; I want you on my voting committee. :D

are u suggesting that people with similiar stats of INTs aren't in the HOF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back