PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eli over Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin Negandhi and Ryen Russillo went off on Eli vs Tom,
the former arguing for Eli, showing his general Philly guy antagonism for the Pats.
Best laugh lines:
"I don't think Brady can move at all".
"Right now Eli can be mentioned in the same breath as Brady,
based on what I have seen in the last five weeks".

Rusillo "So you are taking Brady? You are out of your mind."

That is here, the first segment: ESPN Radio Daily: 1/23
ESPN Radio Daily: 1/23 - ESPN

The next segment is Amani Toomer, Colin Cowherd on Eli.
Colin, "In a big game, in lousy weather, Eli may be better than Peyton. I know
that sounds ridiculous, can't you start making that claim now?"
Toomer: "of course you can... If he wins, he will have 2 super bowls, and 2 is more than one"

Okay, I may have paraphrased the last part.
So, this easy math enables us to conclude Jim Plunkett (with 2 SB wins)
is also better than Payton, and Trent Dilfer is superior to Dan Marino.

See, this stuff doesn't have to be so hard!
;)

In THIS SB, furious with the media and seeking revenge for what his defense and o-line did in 2007... I'm hands down choosing Thomas Brady!

Eli throws something in the air hoping someone will catch it which explains his 25 INTs this year. SB 42, he threw some garbage out there and by luck Tyree caught the ball. It's not like Eli was so extra clutch and threw the perfect catch and knew it would be caught, it was pure utter LUCK! When it was caught, momentum was on his side and the Pats D got old and rusty, which led to E throwing the TD against a wide open Burress.

Not once while watching that travesty take place did I think "WOW, this boy is clutch and a HOFer!" I could only think about how the defense let the Pats down. Sure Eli will make the HOF any QB with a ring ('cept Dilfer) will likely make the HOF. But does that mean his name should be mentioned in the same sentence as Brady? NOPE!

Had the niners won that game, the media would be overrating Alex Smith and putting him in the same category as Brady as well. They already tried it with Tebow. It's just typical media who is tired of seeing Brady's success, I mean, he only makes the superbowl it seems every 2 years. I couldn't blame em', I guess if I didn't love Brady so... I would be hating too.

I don't hate TB at all. He's the greatest, and worthy of the highest respect.

But you really do him & other QB's a disservice when you diminish what Eli has done, as you did above. If Brady made the throw for the helmet catch, it would be part of his clutch legend here. That 2-minute drive Eli led in general was as clutch for a newbie in the SB as anything since Brady & the Rams.

And you could characterize some of the plays that went TB's way in the early SB years in much the same way as you did the helmet catch.

In the NFL, it's

Brady
Rodgers
Brees
Roethlisberger
Rivers

And then there's the rest. Some might even question Rivers on that list. Eli doesn't make the cut, sorry.

lol, rivers

me?

because im talking football and refuting points and responding to people?

whatever helps you sleep pal

Lol I think you've been fine. Just giving your input and thoughts from your perspective.

we def got lucky on that ball grazing his knee. I will never dispute that

I just take exception by saying the second fumble was a lucky thing. IF it was then you have to consider the play Moore made as lucky too.

Personally, I think they were both good defensive plays, not luck. I totally agree with your assessment if Reed made the play.

IF 49ers STs had those plays happen to them where they got those two turnovers, the talking heads that were making the point all week about how San Frans special teams were going to dominate us, would of been a talking point. But since it happened to us, we were lucky (which on the first we were).

Its just the way it is.

I think that the extent to which it was lucky was that Ginn was hurt, so the 49ers had a guy returning punts who clearly had no business returning them. That said, that's a) on the 49ers for not having another guy on the roster who can reliably field a punt, and b) to the Giants' credit for having players who exploited Williams' terrible technique in order to cause a fumble.

FWIW, I would also agree that there's a degree of luck in Evans/Moore, since, if Evans had gone to the ground like you're supposed to in that situation, Moore wouldn't have had a chance to knock the ball away. In both cases, one team had a player who didn't do what he was supposed to do, and the other had a player with the awareness and fundamental soundness to exploit that fact.

In the face! IN THE FACE! Try again. :D

The luck wasn't in the strip; the luck was an idiot PR who'd already cost his team a TD was dumb enough to run through traffic with it.

And on that catch in the first game (Ballard?) was falling down and made a one-armed grab while the ball was moving away from him. He couldn't do it again if you gave him 50 tries.

can't view youtube at work

to suggest he shouldn't of returned it is whats idiotic. You should put the blame on Harbough for keeping him in after he made such a mistake.

And Ballard has actually made a couple of catches like that this year, so its not as far fetched as you believe it is

besides interceptions, how has Eli not had good years? The Dude ALWAYS throws TDs....

if it was always about stats only, then Troy Aikman would not be in the hall of fame

Who said it was ALL about stats? I asked if it should be something other than two superbowl wins? Even with Aikman there was plenty of debate as to whether he deserved to be in the hall. In the case of Aikman he led a truly dominant team on a great four year run. He was often in the top five in passer rating during that time and was widely regarded as a top QB. I don't see how you can even compare his case to Aikman's.

That's worse than say......failing to even qualify for the playoffs because of complete 09/10 collapses?

Explain that logic.

i absolutely agree.. but it wasn't th eoffense that let us down in 09 and 10 - it was our defense

I don't think it's crazy at all to think Eli can be better than his brother. Eli has far more guts than I ever saw in Peyton. He makes his teams feel for him and the guy is a fighter. Something Peyton never really had.

Peyton had the more athletic body, maybe the better build, but I'm not sure if he's smarter than his little brother. Eli adapts a lot quicker than Peyton and throws a very pretty and accurate deep ball.

Just like Brady, his accomplishments speak for himself. I don't think Eli ever had the type of team his brother did until perhaps now. They didn't build the team around Eli. They first made Eli play within their system. Kind of like Brady. Brady didn't get surrounded with what he needed until 2007. I think Eli's just now beginning to peak.

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks that Eli is playing better than Brady apparently didn't watch the NFCCG. Brady had a bad day on Sunday, but Eli wasn't really much better. The Giants won on the strength of ST turnovers. That's it- their offense wasn't moving the ball with any real effectiveness.

These people also seem to forget that Brady is two weeks removed from setting touchdown records for a playoff game.

you do realize that your going to be facing 3 top tier wideouts on turf with a secondary that from one point to the next has had everyone from Edelman to Belechicks son playing back there.. and Tom is gonna be getting pash rush pressure sped up on the turf from BOTH sides of the DL you can homer it all you want but,, the last team the Pats wanted to see in Indy was the Giants

lol, rivers

Rivers has clearly been a top tier QB in recent years. He's clearly been vastly superior to Eli, too. Now, whether you think he slipped out of that group this year or not is where my comment about people questioning Rivers on that list comes from, but he's certainly higher up on the list than Manning, unless you're going with just this year.

If you're doing that, you can put Eli below the likes of Stafford and Schaub.

If you truly want to know who is better then ask the 32 head coaches. I bet 90% would take Brady...if not 100%.

This argument is silly. Brady has played with only one awesome WR (Moss) and one awesome RB (Dillon for one year) in his entire career.

Brady is #1 all time and by a wide margin.

you do realize that your going to be facing 3 top tier wideouts on turf with a secondary that from one point to the next has had everyone from Edelman to Belechicks son playing back there.

You do realize that the Giants are going to be facing 2 top tier TE's and a top tier WR on turf?

you do realize that your going to be facing 3 top tier wideouts on turf with a secondary that from one point to the next has had everyone from Edelman to Belechicks son playing back there.. and Tom is gonna be getting pash rush pressure sped up on the turf from BOTH sides of the DL you can homer it all you want but,, the last team the Pats wanted to see in Indy was the Giants

Come on, now. Not even getting past your first few words, Manningham is not a top tier WR.

Last edited:
If you truly want to know who is better then ask the 32 head coaches. I bet 90% would take Brady...if not 100%.

This argument is silly. Brady has played with only one awesome WR (Moss) and one awesome RB (Dillon for one year) in his entire career.

They had Dillon from 2004-2006.

are u suggesting that people with similiar stats of INTs aren't in the HOF?

There are guys with high pick numbers who negated that by great TD numbers (Favre). There are guys like Aikman and Namath who shouldn't be in the HOF. I'm just arguing with your contention that Eli will have done enough to get into the HOF after eight years of mostly pedestrian numbers. At least let's see what the rest of his career holds.

this is a "prisoner of the moment" centric society we live in, After the Denver postseason game ppl were calling Brady the best qb in the nfl , then he plays one so-so game against a tough baltimore defense which had allowed only 11 TDs to opponents the whole season (thats less than one per game) and suddenly Eli becomes better than Brady lol

Last edited:

Yes we know how much is stacked against the Patriots. Believe you me. At least I know.

Which is why your loud mouthed team is going down:D You're not getting this one! Eli's awesome, but the rest of that Giants team does not execute on the same level as he does and that was apparent against the 49ers. Even Cruz.

You all done messed up with all that trash talking. Should have kept quite before the 49ers game. Weren't so eager to talk before facing the Jets, were you?

I hope you realize Eli's and Bradshaw is also going against Vince Willfork. And he's hot right now too. He's mad now...
images

He's coming for you...we're unleashing him. We ain't skurred of the pass rush, because unlike Alex Smith and Eli we don't try to throw deep on every pass play. We only need a split second to get the ball out.

Last edited:
But they both are playing differing defenses. I think everything else being equal (including defenses and offensive weapons), anybody who picks Eli over Brady is crazy.

i dont think the differences are as significant as you are suggesting...

I mean we played each others division and i'd say the defense in both our divisions are at an equal plane. If anything i'd give the nod to the NFC East. The Jets weren't anything special this year defensively.

so you guys then played Colts, Steelers (without Harrison), Chiefs, Chargers, Raiders, Den

vs

Rams, Cards, Seahawks, San Fran, Saints, GB

LOL! How so? When you compare his numbers to those of his brother and Brady or heck even Rothlesberger he doesn't get in. He's only led the league in INT's and in no other categories his whole career.

Look, Eli's good. Very good, even but there's no way he gets into Canton.

2 SBs is guarantee of HOF. If guys like plunkett or griese get in then eli should too with another SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes