PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eli over Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By your interceptions theory, i guess that means you take issue with Dan Marino, Brett Farve, and Johnny Unitus being in the hall of fame.

Um, no. Had Marino, Favre and Unitas led the league in INT's their whole career and no other category, I'd take issue. But those guys have won league MVP's and numerous other awards something Eli hasn't even come close to doing...except Super Bowl MVP once.

Last edited:
Just so I know for the future are there any other Manning qb's that can be compared to Brady around you know mayby another son a nephew a grand kid :bricks:

so then is Brady really that great winning those s uperbowls or does the fact that the NE defense was a top 5 defense keep getting overshadowed?

Was Brady that great or did he need Randy Moss to blow up his numbers in 07?

listen, i have no problem with you taking that opinion, just keep it consistent.

STOP RIGHT there Meyer....until 2007 that's the First Time Brady Played with a True Number 1 WR *Moss*. Other than that year and this with Gronk and Welker Brady never had Elite Talents early on, he did it with smoke and mirrors. Lets not lose sight of that which proves Brady's Greatness.

Last edited:
I think the media and talking heads just can't look past the last games. They are saying Brady was outplayed by Flacco. They were both 22-36 with Flacco getting a few more yards. They both led their teams on 5 scoring drives, 2 touchdown and 3 field goal attempts. It doesn't make a difference to me if the ball is run in or thrown in, it still counts. The only difference I see is that Brady threw 2 picks to Flacco's one. You woud also have to admit that Brady's level of difficulty was far greater by playing the Raven's defense.

I don't want take anything away from Eli, but he didn't exactly have a great game either, at least not enough to say he is the best QB in the SB. He did throw 26 incompletions. After the score was tied when the giants received a gift from the 49ers ST, Manning had the ball for 5 drives and did nothing with it. Three times in regulation and twice in OT he couldn't move his offence to get the winning score. The article seems to give a lot of credence to the fact that Eli threw for 15 fourth quarter TDs. That means in 16 games in the first three quarters he only threw 14 tds. That's less than one per game in the first 3 quarters. I guess Brady prefers to throw for his TDs earlier in the game. See how easily you can manipulate numbers to back any argument.

This!

And Brady threw 11 4th Quarter TDs. Not that many less

Let's see: an impossible one-handed catch during the last drive against the Pats this year; an off-the-helmet catch in the endzone against the Packers to end the half; SF defenders knocking the hell out of each other to lose a sure pick ... twice; a ball grazing a pr's knee for a turnover leading to a TD; same p/r running without ever securing it and coughing it up in on the 29 in OT.

That's just off the top of my head, and since week 8.

I like Eli. He's definitely improved his game, and he's a much better playoff QB then his brother. But he's literally the luckiest QB I've ever seen. If there's a big break to be had, it goes his way.

lol stop. First off impossible one handed catch? You do realize these guys ARE professionals right?

That play wasn't off the helmet vs the PAck, it wasn't just a toss up hail mary, it was a scripted deep ball. The ball dropped directly to Nicks, that was more of a beautiful ball by Eli than anything. The element of surprise because the defenders infront of him were waiting for an underneath route.

last time I checked the special teams had nothing to do with Eli getting lucky with his WRs.

And so let me get this straight... its lucky that we stripped that kid Williams at the end of the game, but it was talent for u guys to knock the ball out of Evans hands on that "Drop" in the endzone?

i have no clue what u just said lol

being sarcastic. I'm sure you heard from lots of 49er fans that the first game they beat you in was evidence they'd beat you in the playoffs just as we heard the same rationale on how we'd lose each game in the playoffs this year. They in fact "proved" it using it so I just thought I'd post the results they "proved":p

Brady is as motivated as a human can possibly be for this game.

I doubt that the "Eli might be better than Brady" debate is going to give him that extra edge...

so then is Brady really that great winning those s uperbowls or does the fact that the NE defense was a top 5 defense keep getting overshadowed?

Was Brady that great or did he need Randy Moss to blow up his numbers in 07?

listen, i have no problem with you taking that opinion, just keep it consistent.

Yes he is great. He beat those defenses and our defense beat those offenses. Your Giants didn't look so good when your defense was getting beat by other QBs did they? We all saw how bad things were when our defense couldn't stop any QB.
Brady doesn't need Moss to be Great. He already was before Moss got here and he still is. Whatever. I'm done with this friggin arguement. I'm tired of it. Went through this same crap when Tebow came to town. I'm not in the mood to go through it again.

Last edited:
I can't believe Giants fans are even arguing Manning had a better season (or even close to as good a season). The Patriots and Giants both got equally lucky in winning the championship games. Brady had one of the greatest seasons a quarterback has ever had this year, but was overshadowed by what Brees and Rodgers had. Yeah the Patriots lost 3 straight playoff games, but how many have the Giants won since they won the 2007 Super Bowl (not including this year)? Well they made the playoffs in 2008 and lost to Philly 23-11. So because they made the playoffs one less time in that time period, they were more successful? Doesn't make sense to me.

Nothing in Eli's season makes me think he is a better QB or had a better year than Brady.

he def had a better season, who is debating that?

But to say that its a hands down decision, either way, or who you would want in one game in the superbowl isn't realistic.

The same people were taking Tebow over Brady a few short weeks ago. This should work out pretty much the same.

If the Patriots win the SB then Brady becomes the GOAT, period, as well as the winningest QB in postseason history. Eli has won big games and played well in the clutch but the comparison is clearly off.

so if Eli wins and Brady doesn't... does your opinion change?

Stop comparing Tebow to Eli, thats just as ridiculous as when people were comparing Tebow to Brady. Nobody except bronco fans, jesus freaks, and people trying to write stories in the media believed that

So let me get this straight.. Tom Brady, who you are calling the best QB of all time and hands down canton (which I agree) and Eli and Roth isn't?

Well your wrong on both accounts. Ben is DEF in and if Eli gets in hes absoultely in as well...

I just did the numbers. Compare Elis career to this point to Bradys stats vs the same amount of games it reads like this (mind u i said if we win this superbowl)

Eli - 2 superbowl rings, 27579 yards, 185 TDs, 121 INTs
Brady - 3 Superbowl rings, 28096 yards, 211 YDs, 90 INTs

now your compaing greatest (Arguably) to another HOF caliber player. Your out of your mind if you think eli isn't getting in.

By your interceptions theory, i guess that means you take issue with Dan Marino, Brett Farve, and Johnny Unitus being in the hall of fame.

Then add in the other things about Eli - with the ironman streak going and having the most road wins of all time in the playoffs. If Eli wins, hes in the hall of fame. Don't kid yourself

Don't you think a Hall of Fame quarterback should at least have SOME statistically good years? Maybe at least some MVP consideration? I mean it has to be something besides just two SBs, doesn't it? Manning's best statistical year was 2009. He was 11th in passer rating that year. Hes only made the pro bowl twice in eight years. Is there anything other than the potential for SB in his favor?

And by the way, I don't think Rothlisberger is in either. Its the Hall of Fame, not the hall of very good.

I think the media and talking heads just can't look past the last games. They are saying Brady was outplayed by Flacco. They were both 22-36 with Flacco getting a few more yards. They both led their teams on 5 scoring drives, 2 touchdown and 3 field goal attempts. It doesn't make a difference to me if the ball is run in or thrown in, it still counts. The only difference I see is that Brady threw 2 picks to Flacco's one. You woud also have to admit that Brady's level of difficulty was far greater by playing the Raven's defense.

I don't want take anything away from Eli, but he didn't exactly have a great game either, at least not enough to say he is the best QB in the SB. He did throw 26 incompletions. After the score was tied when the giants received a gift from the 49ers ST, Manning had the ball for 5 drives and did nothing with it. Three times in regulation and twice in OT he couldn't move his offence to get the winning score. The article seems to give a lot of credence to the fact that Eli threw for 15 fourth quarter TDs. That means in 16 games in the first three quarters he only threw 14 tds. That's less than one per game in the first 3 quarters. I guess Brady prefers to throw for his TDs earlier in the game. See how easily you can manipulate numbers to back any argument.

like i said before, u guys are taking this as some sort of insult to Brady and its not. Its a compliment to Eli

he def had a better season, who is debating that?

But to say that its a hands down decision, either way, or who you would want in one game in the superbowl isn't realistic.

Umm, the article being referenced that started this thread is titled "NY Giants quarterback Eli Manning is not only in Tom Brady's 'elite' class, he is a superior player this season." How is that not saying Eli had a better season? That's what's being debated...

I will say this.. if Brady does indeed win his 4th then yes he goes down as GOAT.. but if Eli takes Brady and Bill down again... how do you label Eli?? Patriot killer and owns Brady?

love the begging for attention

So let me get this straight.. Tom Brady, who you are calling the best QB of all time and hands down canton (which I agree) and Eli and Roth isn't?

Well your wrong on both accounts. Ben is DEF in and if Eli gets in hes absoultely in as well...

I just did the numbers. Compare Elis career to this point to Bradys stats vs the same amount of games it reads like this (mind u i said if we win this superbowl)

Eli - 2 superbowl rings, 27579 yards, 185 TDs, 121 INTs
Brady - 3 Superbowl rings, 28096 yards, 211 YDs, 90 INTs

now your compaing greatest (Arguably) to another HOF caliber player. Your out of your mind if you think eli isn't getting in.

Then add in the other things about Eli - with the ironman streak going and having the most road wins of all time in the playoffs. If Eli wins, hes in the hall of fame. Don't kid yourself

I'm glad someone made this thread because this has been bothering me for the last couple of days. All over WEEI I've been hearing that Manning is now in the "Elite" class with Rodgers, Brees, Brady and Peyton (INJURY). Eli is not in the Elite class of QBs!

I think to classify someone as an Elite QB, they need to have at least a few seasons of elite quality performance and Eli has not had that. He has a career passer rating of 82.1, which is average. The elite QBs have had over a 100.0 passer rating this season and he short. The elite QBs throw for well over 30 TDs which he did not reach this season. Eli threw 25 interceptions last year, does anyone remember that?

I heard an analyst yesterday going on about how Eli throws for a ton of yards and averages over 300 a game which makes him an elite QB. Look at Matthew Stafford... He threw for more yards this season and he is not even close to being considered an elite QB. This only proves that today in the NFL, the QBs have the advantage.

Eli is a good QB and has definitely improved on his fundamentals but he needs to put up a couple more seasons of high quality play before he can sit in the elite class. And if I recall, the Giants barely even made the playoffs this year. Eli may have a ring but so doesn't Trent Dilfer.

Last edited:
lol stop. First off impossible one handed catch? You do realize these guys ARE professionals right?

That play wasn't off the helmet vs the PAck, it wasn't just a toss up hail mary, it was a scripted deep ball. The ball dropped directly to Nicks, that was more of a beautiful ball by Eli than anything. The element of surprise because the defenders infront of him were waiting for an underneath route.

last time I checked the special teams had nothing to do with Eli getting lucky with his WRs.

And so let me get this straight... its lucky that we stripped that kid Williams at the end of the game, but it was talent for u guys to knock the ball out of Evans hands on that "Drop" in the endzone?

I think the Giants ST did a good job of knocking the ball away. Williams was holding the ball away from his body and the tackler niticed this and went to bat the ball away. Good ST play. The first turnover was a little more lucky, but I blame Williams for not trying to go for the ball once it hit his knee. The Giants were alert enough to keep playing until you hear the whistle.

On Moore's knockaway of the ball, if it was Ed Reed who made the exact same play it would have been called a great defensive play on his part and not a drop.

I will say this.. if Brady does indeed win his 4th then yes he goes down as GOAT.. but if Eli takes Brady and Bill down again... how do you label Eli?? Patriot killer and owns Brady?

good......say that then

2 (maybe) superbowl rings, 27579 yards, 185 TDs, 129 INTs after 8 seasons puts him in the HOF? Really?

I have some pretty impressive Tecmo Superbowl numbers; I want you on my voting committee. :D

2 (maybe) superbowl rings, 27579 yards, 185 TDs, 129 INTs after 8 seasons puts him in the HOF? Really?

I have some pretty impressive Tecmo Superbowl numbers; I want you on my voting committee. :D

probably does.....do you know any multiple SB winning QB's not in the SB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes