PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman offered 3-year deal, he opts to test free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if that offer mentioned here is true, it was a very decent offer.

I'm inclined to think that if he chose to test the market it's because his agent was getting at least one better offer.

Michael Giardi ‏@MikeGiardi 11m
One issue for Edelman, much like Talib he's found the market softer than expected. #PatriotsTalk

They also remove the last security blanket Brady had - Its year 2 - use the youn guns we have on the roster. I for one is happy with this move :singing:

he gets hurt pretty much every year BUT last year...can't say i am surprised if the pats move on quickley

People seem to forget that the Pats HAVE paid guys.

...and every time a player leaves, there's the accusation that the Pats "wouldn't pay him," regardless of the actual situation.

that is true...Edelman tested the market last year and then re-signed with the pats..

the only thing is, you would think Edelman would know his value from the legal tampering period. The whole point of that is that players find out their value on the open market.

That it why it seems like he will probably be one. He already had the chance to find out how much other teams are willing to pay him.

Yet they have paid guys like Matt Light, Logan Mankins, Tom Brady, Sebastian Vollmer, Mike Vrabel, and even Ty Law and Asante Samuel. Not to mention Rodney Harrison and Rosie Colvin.

People seem to forget that the Pats HAVE paid guys. In fact, the Pats have been at or near the cap just about every year since Belichick got here. Which means they ARE paying guys..

What the Pats don't generally do is OVER-PAY for the players the fans want because fans typically want the "Big Splash" where as BB knows that he's got to build a TEAM and that means top to bottom. 60-70 players..

They better make a "Big Splash" at WR because we currently have NOTHING there. I am not holding my breath on what we currently have.:rolleyes:

If you all remember last year, the Pats made a better offer than the one that Welker accepted, his agent overestimated the market.

So are the Patriots supposed to wait for Edelman to test the market, or move one?? I suspect they will move on...

Then Felger, Borges and the rest of the contrarians will start their predictable behavior...

You state that as if it's a fact. Welker had to achieve escalators to surpass the Broncos offer. Did it have more upside? yes, but that doesn't make it better. I think most people agree that the Pats could have extended themselves a little more in that situation.

They better make a "Big Splash" at WR because we currently have NOTHING there. I am not holding my breath on what we currently have.:rolleyes:

Yeah man, i wouldn't hold my breath either, I mean we were only top 5 last year, pathetic, if you aint first your last!

:bricks:

That's telling 'em. Hold BB accountable, gaddangit.

James Christensen @NEPatriotsDraft

People calling Amendola injury-prone and acting like Edelman is invulnerable just doesn't make sense.

Agree with this. Edelman is still a huge injury risk

...and every time a player leaves, there's the accusation that the Pats "wouldn't pay him," regardless of the actual situation.

The only guys I wish they kept were Samuel and Vinatieri

Not to pick on you, but Vinatieri is a perfect example. As I recall, he declined to even field an offer from the Patriots because he wanted to extend his career in a dome. But the communal memory is "the Pats were too cheap to keep him."

What a surprise, they try to lowball another player. He deserves Amendola's contract.

Interesting tweets here...

https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi

Edelman didn't like the deadline? Hmm, this could be Welker, part deux.

Both he adn Talib found the market softer than they expected?

You state that as if it's a fact. Welker had to achieve escalators to surpass the Broncos offer. Did it have more upside? yes, but that doesn't make it better. I think most people agree that the Pats could have extended themselves a little more in that situation.

Well then here's a fact. Late in the 2011 season, the Pats offered Welker a two-year deal that would have given him about half a million more than the 2012 franchise tender plus last year with the Broncos did.

So what if Edelman gets no offers higher than what he got from NE? I'd bet NE would lower their offer if he comes back to them.

Agree with this. Edelman is still a huge injury risk

That's true. If you credit Amendola for not dressing early in his first season because he was an undrafted free agent, Amendola has been healthy for more complete seasons than Edelman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents