PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman offered 3-year deal, he opts to test free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Julian Edelman - New England Patriots - 2014 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

The Sacramento Bee reports the Patriots are "trying hard" to re-sign free agent Julian Edelman, and that the Browns remain interested.

The slot man is currently visiting the 49ers. We'd imagine the Browns' "interest" will disappear once the Bengals officially decline to match Andrew Hawkins' offer sheet. Per reporter Matt Barrows, Edelman's decision is expected to come down to money. That's understandable considering how little of it, relatively speaking, Edelman has made to this point in his career.

Adam Schefter reports that the Ravens signed Steve Smith. One less option for Edelman. He will likely re-sign by Monday at this point unless he just sits out there hoping someone will jump in. The closer we get to the draft, the less he will make though doing that.

Well now Edelman is easily my favorite option based on what's left out there, although I'm still not cool with JUST him on a long term contract.

If Edelman does fall through, what are the chances we trade up in the draft?

Well now Edelman is easily my favorite option based on what's left out there, although I'm still not cool with JUST him on a long term contract.

If Edelman does fall through, what are the chances we trade up in the draft?

Trade up in the draft for what, specifically? A TE?

I couldn't imagine Belichick deciding to bring yet another young, green, raw, rookie prospect in at WR, thus making 4; especially with a move UP in the first round.

Even the position of TE, which makes a lot of sense, should be deep enough to be able to wait until round 2 or 3, especially if DL is the way he wants to go.

Trade up in the draft for what, specifically? A TE?

I couldn't imagine Belichick deciding to bring yet another young, green, raw, rookie prospect in at WR, thus making 4; especially with a move UP in the first round.

Even the position of TE, which makes a lot of sense, should be deep enough to be able to wait until round 2 or 3, especially if DL is the way he wants to go.

Are we really levitating our diamonds in the rough to the same category as guys like Mike Evans and Sammy Watkins?

I have high hopes, but...come on.

Are we really levitating our diamonds in the rough to the same category as guys like Mike Evans and Sammy Watkins?

For Sammy Watkins? ill quote you - COME ON DUDE. Hes a top 5 pick !

I suspect that Edelman will end up choosing between SF and NE.

Adam Schefter reports that the Ravens signed Steve Smith. One less option for Edelman. He will likely re-sign by Monday at this point unless he just sits out there hoping someone will jump in. The closer we get to the draft, the less he will make though doing that.

Ravens are still interested in Edelman, even after this signing.

Worst case scenario: Edelman signs elsewhere. Patriots need at least another reliable WR (a #1 WR).

What is the backup plan?

I don't understand your thoughts here.

I'm not levitating anyone or anything. I'd actually be happy if ONE of the three rookie WRs worked out. I'm just doubting that Belichick targets the position of WR by moving up in the first round, especially since it would make it a total of 4 raw kids who really don't know a damn thing. That was addressed last year. It'd seem like a waste of resources, wouldn't it?

Both of the guys you are speaking of will be long gone by #10, so there's no way in my opinion that he'd remotely consider giving up the farm to move up that high. He didn't even do it for a sure thing DE like JJ Watt, so I highly doubt he does it at a position that has never been taken in the first round; especially only a year after he addressed it with 3 guys.

In other words, adding yet another project for Tom Brady really isn't addressing anything or solving our problems, although you could make an exception for a guy like Watkins--but he'll be so long gone by #4 or #5, it isn't even funny.

My bet is any team but NE. Belichick is too big a hardass to modify his initial offer one iota.

I'd guess you may be right.

The problem in my opinion is that even if we sign Edelman, we're still not properly addressing the position or situation.

However if Edelman isn't retained, it just makes it even more of a cluster.

Ravens are still interested in Edelman, even after this signing.

Worst case scenario: Edelman signs elsewhere. Patriots need at least another reliable WR (a #1 WR).

What is the backup plan?

No backup plan at all. The chances of getting a decent WR is beginning
to die out with each signing. The best option is waiting in California for
true negotiations to begin. Not take it or leave it!

Posters believe that we should sign Edelman and another downfield receiver. Perhaps, Belichick think that if Edelman comes back, the wide receiver corps will be fine.

I expect that we would have a potent passing offense with Edelman back, the kids improving, and some health from Gronk and Vereen. We might even draft or sign a TE.

I also expect that we would have a potent offense with the addition of a wide receiver other than Edelman.

I'd guess you may be right.

The problem in my opinion is that even if we sign Edelman, we're still not properly addressing the position or situation.

However if Edelman isn't retained, it just makes it even more of a cluster.

Although I love Minitron, I think at this point he is expendable. I'm ok with Amendola on the slot and focusing in big targets.

Past history indicates that Amendola will get injured in game one
and be hobbled the rest of the year.

Posters believe that we should sign Edelman and another downfield receiver. Perhaps, Belichick think that if Edelman comes back, the wide receiver corps will be fine.

I expect that we would have a potent passing offense with Edelman back, the kids improving, and some health from Gronk and Vereen. We might even draft or sign a TE.

I also expect that we would have a potent offense with the addition of a wide receiver other than Edelman.

They still need to bring in some additional competition.

There's a reason that Belichick personally reached to out Steve Smith and told him that they were very interested.

I'm guessing that he's still waiting for the market to thin out to make those usual kinds of signings, however.

They've got to be better than last years crop of duds.

Another thing I wouldn't be so sure of is the thought of the "kids improving." I think the law of averages alone suggests that one may be able to have a nice leap, but there's also a decent chance that only 2/3 make it on the roster just as well. Thompkins could easily be the odd man out there if we improve our competition sufficiently.

I don't know how long it will take JEII to make a decison. But picking through schefter's statement on the situation, he will at the very least have the information necessary to do so very soon.

I really hated the Amendola signing from the start. Everyone knew of his injury history, yet foolishly people dismiss it as "WHEN HE IS HEALTHY he is very good".

That by itself is a stupid statement, IMO. Patriots are stuck with him for another year. And yes, odds are that he will miss at least couple of games, due to some other injury...

As of now, we have hobbled WRs (Amendola, Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce).

Can we PLEASE sign a decent WR that is healthy?

And past history indicates Edelman will get injured too.

This is true. The draft is looking good for WR, FA has a few good names, so I'm not surprised teams are in no hurry.

Only the Jets acted like they HAD to lock one up right away and apparently believe they should build their offense around Decker who only ever really looked decent with Peyton Manning throwing him passes. A clear answer to dealing with our recent acquisition, Revis. It's all strategy.

:confused:

Not true, he had a nice year with Tebow throwing him the ball. I think people are selling Decker a little short. Not a great player but, a quality wide out. Broncos are going to miss him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents