PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman offered 3-year deal, he opts to test free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, Denver doesn't need Edelman because they have their slot receiver in Welker who will likely play for 1-2 years).

Then perhaps, New England doesn't need Edelman because we have Amendola (who we have under contract for 4 years)

I really don't see the difference.

Edelman would need to be more than a slot receiver and punt returner if he signed for EITHER Denver or New England.

Why would the Broncos go after Edelman? They have Welker....and he isn't done...

Edelman may have played this wrong. The Browns are out. The Ravens may be out if they get Smith. He may be out of suitors and by the time he goes back to the Pats, the offer may be lower after the Pats have signed Revis and if they sign another player or two.

I'd rather see the Patriots be out because they got Smith than the Ravens.

Meeting with SF tomorrow

His hometown team

Translation: Nobody has offered him a big contract yet

Julian Edelman - New England Patriots - 2014 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Free agent Julian Edelman will visit the 49ers on Friday.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the 49ers are also interested in Hakeem Nicks. The Niners have slow-played the market, but are one of the more receiver-needy teams in the league. Edelman would represent a true slot threat that hasn't really been present during the Jim Harbaugh era. Provided the money is right, it would be a good signing for a team in the toughest division in football.

Ummm.. what about Wes Welker's past season makes you think he is done?

Yah. He isn't done and the Donks would be foolish to give JE his pay day. That offense is set w/o Decker. Pay up for a Welker prototype and #4 target?! JE to the 49ers is very possible. Hope we reel in Smith or Sanders if that is the case.

It is starting to look like the Patriots played this right and their offer is in the ballpark for him. He may get more elsewhere but if it's close it certainly makes more sense for him to stay in NE where he is already completely integrated into the offense.

He may get more elsewhere but if it's close it certainly makes more sense for him to stay in NE where he is already completely integrated into the offense.

That would make sense, but it's not the way these deals play out. Once a player feels "disrespected", he'll take the same deal from another team "that really wants me" rather than the same money from his original team. They always say it's just business, but it's personal by the time they get to free agency.

That would make sense, but it's not the way these deals play out. Once a player feels "disrespected", he'll take the same deal from another team "that really wants me" rather than the same money from his original team. They always say it's just business, but it's personal by the time they get to free agency.

If Browns do get Hawkins, Edelman will have 1 less "serious" suitors.

49ers? That is a very good possibility, since Niners need a true slot WR, and Edelman heads back "home"...

Patriots still need a trust-worthy WR, regardless.

If Browns do get Hawkins, Edelman will have 1 less "serious" suitors.

49ers? That is a very good possibility, since Niners need a true slot WR, and Edelman heads back "home"...

Patriots still need a trust-worthy WR, regardless.

Do not think Bengals will match offer sheet for Hawkins.

The longer this drags out, the lower Edelman's value is on the open market.

Hopefully he comes home a little wiser.

Depends upon the player and their perspective. Some will certainly look at it that way but others see that their best chance for success and production is with a slightly lower bidder, and recognize their real worth goes up more by taking a little less up front. If I were Edelman I would rather be in NE than the other suitors that have been named. SF is defintely a winner but imo he would get lost in that offense and have litle market value when his deal is up, whereas he could continue to put up serious numbers if he stays in NE and that would make him more over the long run.

Do not think Bengals will match offer sheet for Hawkins.

The longer this drags out, the lower Edelman's value is on the open market.

Hopefully he comes home a little wiser.

I would kind of think that if Bengals lose Hawkins to the Browns, who are taking him since they couldn't land Edelman, would the Bengals replace him, or try to, with Edelman?

I would kind of think that if Bengals lose Hawkins to the Browns, who are taking him since they couldn't land Edelman, would the Bengals replace him, or try to, with Edelman?
Very well could I was thinking the same thing also look at Carolina they desperately need to sign some receivers, there's plenty of suitors out there for him. I just hope he returns here for a fair price because he's familiar with New England.

Hah. Some team will offer Edelman exactly the same deal as the Pats, but with an extra year at $100 million (not guaranteed) and Edelman will feel the "respect".... and be bent out of shape that the Pats "disrespected" him by not insulting him with a bogus year on the contract.

I've gotta give it to Revis. That contract he signed with the Pats is so clearly the result of both sides sitting down, putting their cards on the table, and coming up with a deal that gives them both what they want: one year with an opportunity to walk at the end of that year or extend if they are both happy.

Very astute. It's possible that every time Edelman hears a report like Hawkins to the Browns, he gets a little anxious and quietly curses New England for putting him through this.

I want him back, but I think the odds get longer as he goes from team to team, in a weird way.

Heard that Manny Sanders was talking to New England. They don't need him in for a visit likely, since they went through that last year.

I want Edelman, but I'm thinking Smith goes to Baltimore and we get Sanders.

There is no indication that he feels 'disrespected'. Go out, try the market. I'm beginning to accept that my binkie is gone but it's going to be about money and fit, not any acrimony to the club.

If the Pats 'didn't really want him', they wouldn't have offered him a 3 year contract.

I wish I could claim some big insight. It's just that I've been listening to these idiot players for two days on NFL Network:

"So, tell us... why did you choose Oakland?"

"Man, when I got here, they showed me "respect". I just want to play for a team that really wants me..."

-------------

These guys are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. The vast majority of them can barely string two coherent sentences together in a row. It's got to be very frustrating to a guy like Belichick, but he's smart enough to know that there are plenty of fish in the sea. If one gets away, you just go get the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents