PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dwight Freeney thinks that owners colluded to keep free agent prices down

BradyFTW!

Goodell sucks
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Dwight Freeney of San Diego Chargers hints at collusion - ESPN

Chargers linebacker Dwight Freeney has a reason why he believes NFL free agency was a bit slower than normal.

"I basically think the owners got together and decided not to spend the cash on free agents," Freeney told CBSSports.com. "I definitely think that's part of it. I think the owners made a pact. There's only 32 of them and none of them broke ranks. I think they all decided not to spend money."

Freeney's feelings about collusion do not break new ground. In April, the NFLPA expressed concern about the possibility, prompting an email from executive director DeMaurice Smith to player agents asking them to report any improper dealings with NFL teams.

At some point, you kinda have to wonder if these guys understand what a 'flat cap'--the one that their own representatives negotiated in the last CBA--entails. Because, if they did, why would they be even a little bit surprised to see this happen?

It's supply-demand, and the supply of past-their-prime veterans is awfully high, while the demand--in available dollars--is significantly lower than in past years. Plus everyone knows that another side effect of the cap squeeze is that useful veterans will be released during roster cutdowns, so everyone's waiting on that. It's all common sense, really, and every time some guy puts out statements like this, I have to question his intelligence.

Which isn't to say that the league doesn't collude. The salary cap, at its core, is a form of collusion. Which is why it makes even less sense that Freeney's blaming a super-secret form of double-collusion for the fact that nobody wanted to pay a one-dimensional player who's on the back nine of his career premium starter money.

At some point, you kinda have to wonder if these guys understand what a 'flat cap'--the one that their own representatives negotiated in the last CBA--entails. Because, if they did, why would they be even a little bit surprised to see this happen?

It's supply-demand, and the supply of past-their-prime veterans is awfully high, while the demand--in available dollars--is significantly lower than in past years. Plus everyone knows that another side effect of the cap squeeze is that useful veterans will be released during roster cutdowns, so everyone's waiting on that. It's all common sense, really, and every time some guy puts out statements like this, I have to question his intelligence.

Which isn't to say that the league doesn't collude. The salary cap, at its core, is a form of collusion. Which is why it makes even less sense that Freeney's blaming a super-secret form of double-collusion for the fact that nobody wanted to pay a one-dimensional player who's on the back nine of his career premium starter money.
Yes, and it was a factor in the offers Wes received, as well. Some around here want to compare what Ocho Cinco was paid here with what Wes was offered. There is no correlation.

Pretty understandable that the veteran free agents over 30 would feel this way but they will never be able to prove it. While i don't think there was any formal agreement between owners I think that the disconnection between performance and pay certainly makes it appear that they had some form of agreement. Owners are treating free agency like a second draft, and paying for potential performance over proven performance, so guys like mike Wallace are making huge money while guys like Welker are getting a fraction of their worth in relation to production. The owners have structured the system completely to their benefit and the players signed off on it, that's ultimately their problem. The rookie salary cap keeps the top end down and the overall cap staying put kept the market down on the whole, and it's the guys over 30 who are going to bear the brunt of it from here on out. Players are going to have to get their big money on their second deals because very few of them are going to get big contracts after they turn 30.

They did get together and decide to keep free agent costs down but Freeney and company agreed to it when they signed on the dotted line.

Pretty understandable that the veteran free agents over 30 would feel this way but they will never be able to prove it. While i don't think there was any formal agreement between owners I think that the disconnection between performance and pay certainly makes it appear that they had some form of agreement. Owners are treating free agency like a second draft, and paying for potential performance over proven performance, so guys like mike Wallace are making huge money while guys like Welker are getting a fraction of their worth in relation to production. The owners have structured the system completely to their benefit and the players signed off on it, that's ultimately their problem. The rookie salary cap keeps the top end down and the overall cap staying put kept the market down on the whole, and it's the guys over 30 who are going to bear the brunt of it from here on out. Players are going to have to get their big money on their second deals because very few of them are going to get big contracts after they turn 30.

You can only pay as much as you can afford. Most teams are up to the cap limit. Many teams had to cut guys just to get under the cap.

the only teams that can afford him for what he wants to be paid are teams in the basement of the nfl.

Freeney should blame the Patriots and Steelers for winning half of the last decade's championships. Now all 32 teams have wisened up and the losers are big name FA scrubs like him.

I assume that you're referring to something other than the salary cap here? If so, how is that pretty clear? There's a lot of useful players and not a lot of money out there- given that, why would you expect anything else to happen?

This isn't going anywhere. They owners colluded in the uncapped year, publicly, and the NFLPA stood silent while the Cowboys and Redskins got screwed for not going along with it. The NFLPA had its chance to roast the owners on a spit and they blew it. They signed a lousy CBA, instead.

Individual players are getting screwed all over the place, but the players as a group can start the blame game by looking in the nearest mirror.

This isn't going anywhere. They owners colluded in the uncapped year, publicly, and the NFLPA stood silent while the Cowboys and Redskins got screwed for not going along with it. The NFLPA had its chance to roast the owners on a spit and they blew it. They signed a lousy CBA, instead.

Individual players are getting screwed all over the place, but the players as a group can start the blame game by looking in the nearest mirror.

Individual players are also making off like bandits. Erik Walden got 4 years 16 million. ERIK WALDEN for goodness' sake. Its just that teams are allocating their resources differently and the established 'veterans' who expect to get paid for the number of Pro Bowls they've been to don't like it.

Individual players are also making off like bandits. Erik Walden got 4 years 16 million. ERIK WALDEN for goodness' sake. Its just that teams are allocating their resources differently and the established 'veterans' who expect to get paid for the number of Pro Bowls they've been to don't like it.

There are always teams in the league who are willing to grossly overpay on a player or two. That's not league specific, either, for that matter. The truth is, though, that this is about the players being stupid enough to sign a CBA that gave them a lower cap number than they'd had in the previous CBA, despite the NFL making money hand over fist. Smith surviving this debacle is a modern miracle.

I guess they forgot to tell the Browns
  • Paul Kruger: 5 years, $40 MM
  • Dez Bryant: 5 years, $34 MM

I guess they forgot to tell the Browns
  • Paul Kruger: 5 years, $40 MM
  • Dez Bryant: 5 years, $34 MM

But those are young players on the upswing. Not old croaks who don't want to get their hands dirty like Freeney.

All I gathered from this article is that Dwight Freeney is an arrogant twat.

Of course you are going to get paid less when you are past your prime and are old. Teams are looking to be the best they can be and they can't do that by paying everyone top dollar contracts so as to be nice to them.

Why? Because no one wanted to pay for washed up talent like him?

I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with any of the following;

1. Age.
2. Declining production.
3. Smaller than expected cap increases.
4. Smart GM business.
5. Schematic fit.

If there were true collusion to hold salaries down, what the ##$#@!$ happened with WRs last year?

Dwight Freeney thinks??

Freeney's blaming a super-secret form of double-collusion...

Super-Secret Double-Collusion, eh?

animalhousewomer.jpg

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back