PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don't See The Patriots Re-signing Sebastian Vollmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gronk isn't facing nearly the amount of chronic issues SeaBass is

I don't know how you know this. You have access to detailed comparative medical assessments of each player's known back problems? Gronk's rumored hip problems this season, likely a typical result of ankle or back problems causing a secondary problem?

My GUESS is that Mankins is suffering from a rash of problems stemming from his knee injury where he came back too quickly, ignored the "pain" elsewhere trying to "play thru it" and caused secondary severe problems that are chronic. My guess.

Yeah, I think the health works against the Pats. If you're a GM that needs a good season to keep your job, why not offer him big bucks and hope he stays healthy. Best case scenario, he stays healthy and you look like a genius. Worst case scenario, you get fired and don't have to deal with the consequences of that bad contract.

Wow...Ray....talk about Apples and Oranges here........

In college, Gronk lost a year because of back surgery, Vollmer lost a year because of back surgery.

According to Pojo he had a minor procedure this year.

Report: Vollmer had minor back surgery | Patriots Blog | providencejournal.com | The Providence Journal

Now I'm not saying I know the extent of this, or other back injuries, but does anyone here? If you've got more than that, please let me know.

Lots of talk in the news that Willie McGinest should retire due to nagging back injuries back in the nineties.

Last edited:
Oddly, I think his back issue may make it more likely the Patriots will re-sign him.

That's not odd at all. It's a completely fair assumption.

I don't know how you know this. You have access to detailed comparative medical assessments of each player's known back problems? Gronk's rumored hip problems this season, likely a typical result of ankle or back problems causing a secondary problem?

My GUESS is that Mankins is suffering from a rash of problems stemming from his knee injury where he came back too quickly, ignored the "pain" elsewhere trying to "play thru it" and caused secondary severe problems that are chronic. My guess.

Is Gronk missing multiple weeks and in and out of the lineup to the same injury he's had since college?

Gronk's back hasn't held him out of the game in the Pros yet, neither has the hip people make a lot of.

Vollmer is questionable seemingly every week. Other guys get injured, but it's different issues with clear healing timelines.

Vollmer's injuring the same back over and over...

Last edited:
Is Gronk missing multiple weeks and in and out of the lineup to the same injury he's had since college?

Gronk's back hasn't held him out of the game in the Pros yet, neither has the hip people make a lot of.

Vollmer is questionable seemingly every week. Other guys get injured, but it's different issues with clear healing timelines.

Vollmer's injuring the same back over and over...

You generally don't injure the same back over and over, you have flareups, or maybe irritation from the minor procedure he had this offseason.

Unless you know more than the rest of us, you don't know more than the rest of us.

Vollmer started all 13 games Junior and Senior years after his back operation 6 years ago.

Last edited:
I think he stays.

#1. When healthy he has generally played very well this year, as good as his great sophomore year.

#2. His back will tend to scare off other teams, big offers.

#3. The Pats don't have to worry about $ for Chung, because they won't resign him (I.E. more out there for others like Vollmer)

Also I like Cannon, but not sure he can handle RT, RG always seemed like his long term home to me, despite what BB says.

You generally don't injure the same back over and over, you have flareups, or maybe irritation from the minor procedure he had this offseason.

Unless you know more than the rest of us, you don't know more than the rest of us.

Vollmer started all 13 games Junior and Senior years after his back operation 6 years ago.

Now you're playing word games.

Vollmer is having trouble staying on the field due to problems with a body part that traditionally is difficult to heal and easily irritated.

Last edited:
Now you're playing word games.

Vollmer is having trouble staying on the field due to problems with a body part that traditionally is difficult to heal and easily irritated.

Like many NFL players, he has a bad back and has played through it for years. Gronkowskis bad back didn't magically go away either. Will he have a flareup in 2-4 years? I don't know and neither do you.

The Patriots know more than either of us, are likely still not sure, but their knowledge will influence their contract posture, not the presumptions of board posters.

Like many NFL players, he has a bad back and has played through it for years. Gronkowskis bad back didn't magically go away either. Will he have a flareup in 2-4 years? I don't know and neither do you.

The Patriots know more than either of us, are likely still not sure, but their knowledge will influence their contract posture, not the presumptions of board posters.

The Patriots of course know more about the situation than fans, but if that's the stance we took on everything we wouldn't have a forum to express opinions.

The Patriots of course know more about the situation than fans, but if that's the stance we took on everything we wouldn't have a forum to express opinions.

No problem. If an actual doctor who has examined Vollmer wants to chip in with a guess on the length of his career, I would consider that an opinion.

I'm not sure the word fits otherwise.

Two reasons back problems make it more likely Vollmer will leave on a David Givens "Thanks for all the opportunities; I'm going where I can maximize my money" basis:

1. (More or less what mgteich said): The uncertainty of his health will create a wider band of valuations for him than there would be if he were healthy.

2. Since he surely KNOWS his career could end at any time, he'll want to grab all the (guaranteed) money he can.

In addition -- back issues aside -- there's the LT/RT issue.

Two reasons back problems make it more likely Vollmer will leave on a David Givens "Thanks for all the opportunities; I'm going where I can maximize my money" basis:

1. (More or less what mgteich said): The uncertainty of his health will create a wider band of valuations for him than there would be if he were healthy.

2. Since he surely KNOWS his career could end at any time, he'll want to grab all the (guaranteed) money he can.

In addition -- back issues aside -- there's the LT/RT issue.

I agree to an extent. Clearly there are ways to work it out structurally that work for both sides, and I assume the team will try. That is what they did with Gronkowski, but timing is everything and he wasn't a FA and he was a Rosenhaus client. Drew is a bird in the hand agent repping over a hundred clients. Still his client didn't have the injury concerns then that Seabass has now developed, plus he's signed with a small Texas based firm that handles a dozen or so NFL clients and he appears to be their bellcow. Of course that could change. Then there is the example of Steven Neal, who tested FA only to come back to where he was most comfortable when the anticipated bigger market deals didn't materialize. Thing to watch here too is ripple effect in the locker room. Vollmer is gutting it out. If he gets screwed in the process the guy on the other end of the line among others will make note. I read a comment from a former player the other day that kind of fits that scenario. Unless you signed a big first round deal until you get that second or long term deal done you're just a commodity. Once you do you become an investment. That is why Vollmer is playing and Mankins is sitting.

Vollmer is a VERY Valuable player...who can play Efectively Both RT and LT...not many Teams are that Deep along their Oline. He probably needs some time off but i wouldn't be driving the Bus to get him out of town just yet. See Teams with Bad Olines and you guys would understand the importance of Vollmer. When he's at full strenght he's like a Wall out there ask TB. You CANNOT Teach the Size that Vollmer has he's a mountain of a man.

Vollmer is a VERY Valuable player...who can play Efectively Both RT and LT...not many Teams are that Deep along their Oline. He probably needs some time off but i wouldn't be driving the Bus to get him out of town just yet. See Teams with Bad Olines and you guys would understand the importance of Vollmer. When he's at full strenght he's like a Wall out there ask TB. You CANNOT Teach the Size that Vollmer has he's a mountain of a man.

You can't teach speed either, I remember that was the mantra when CJ was drafted...

Thing is it's a balancing act because regardless of talent you're only as valuable as your ability to get and stay on the field, and that goes for durability as well as capacity. This team can't really afford to roll the dice on Vollmer because they have several dice tumbling already as we speak in Mankins, Gronkowski and Hernandez. And a young LT who will be up for a new deal after next season not to mention a QB they will likely have to extend after this season...and a final decision to make on Welker.

Don't think this is necessarily true, at all.

Vollmer will be back if the price is right.

That is why Vollmer is playing and Mankins is sitting.

Mankins played last year with a torn ACL after signing his long-term contract. To me, it is more likely that Mankins is sitting because his injuries will get better with time, so he is being given the time to heal while Vollmer's injury is not going to get any better so he is just trying to tough it out the best he can which is in the Pats best interest because even impaired he's their best RT and in Vollmer's best interest because of his pending free agency.

There is another criteria which will likely be as big of an issue as money in determining whether Vollmer returns next year: do the Patriots want to go another season with their RT being a game-time decision every week? Perhaps, it's in their best interest to just turn the position over to Cannon or another player who while not as good as a healthy Vollmer can be a capable NFL RT. The money saved can also be used to extend Solder.

the pats will draft OT Eric Fisher

6'8"/310 lbs with quick feet........sound like anyone you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back