PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does the bitter end to 2007 have to be redeemed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny how it's being brushed aside when all throughout the regular season as 16-0 was unfolding they were being told "it can't be done". They did what could not be done, they did it will grace and style and did it in a way nobody else could do in the face of rivals and contenders and did it the hard way in the end- they achieved the impossible.

People are apt to point out the postseason as being different than the regular season but are also quick to point out how this year ended...conveniently switching gears as it fits them. The postseason was a disappointment, but the regular season was one that will be remembered for decades to come.

Exactly.....

Funny how it's being brushed aside when all throughout the regular season as 16-0 was unfolding they were being told "it can't be done". They did what could not be done, they did it will grace and style and did it in a way nobody else could do in the face of rivals and contenders and did it the hard way in the end- they achieved the impossible.

People are apt to point out the postseason as being different than the regular season but are also quick to point out how this year ended...conveniently switching gears as it fits them. The postseason was a disappointment, but the regular season was one that will be remembered for decades to come.

Sorry bro, unless your a Pats fan, nobody will care that the Pats went 16-0 in the regular season. Even though I'm a Pats fan, I could care less they went 16-0 because they didn't finish the job. Everybody turned out to be right, the Pats couldn't get it done.

Last edited:
Sorry bro, unless your a Pats fan, nobody will care that the Pats went 16-0 in the regular season. Even though I'm a Pats fan, I could care less they went 16-0 because they didn't finish the job. Everybody turned out to be right, the Pats couldn't get it done.

Maybe YOU won't care- but that is just YOUR opinion. Meanwhile MY opinion is that I care about that 16-0 regular season that will live on for decades.

It really doesn't bother me what people think if they don't have a clue (the foggiest effing clue) as to how incredible an achievement that 16--0 season was, especially in the post cap/free agency era. I apply that both to people who are not Pats fans and to people who claim to be Pats fans.

I really don't care what people think who don't understand this game and this league.

I don't care what some brain dead Jets or Bills fan whose brain is pickled in beer thinks about that season.

And, I am blown away that people who claim to be Pats fans are on their case because they "didn't finish the job."

Yeah, the Pats couldn't win the SB. They were incapable. Forget about the fact that they were about one minute from doing it. It couldn't be done. That comment was so dumb that you can join the rest of the awesome crowd on my ignore list.

Yeah, the Pats couldn't win the SB. They were incapable. Forget about the fact that they were about one minute from doing it. It couldn't be done. That comment was so dumb that you can join the rest of the awesome crowd on my ignore list.
He must have gone to the wrong beach to relax...

Okay then, have a nice life. But can you tell me how my comment was so dumb? And if you really put me on ignore, you're being a crybaby. Man up!

Last edited:
I try to move on but people keep bringing this up.
Yes, but as long as you keep the frustration of the last minute loss and ignore the glory of "the" best season ever (Miami has nothing on NE despite the "perfect" season), you'll continue to get into scraps over what is now history and miss the fun of smiling at the haters with their "lesser" teams. The advantage of my gray hairs allows me to look at Kraft/Belichick/Brady and know this team hasn't come close to writing it's retirement speech - good things are coming, you'll see. (Like Al Davis living a long, long time and trading all his value picks/players to NE).

That just about sums it up. Of course, by responding like this we're all giving him the attention he wants. It's a dilemma. Ignore them or encourage them by arguing with them.

That just about sums it up. Of course, by responding like this we're all giving him the attention he wants. It's a dilemma. Ignore them or encourage them by arguing with them.

You guys really can't handle the truth can you?

You guys really can't handle the truth can you?

triggur-irony.jpg

I have no idea what is going on here.
I should have said Gracie Allen, I don't know if she used it as a stage name after marrying George Burns or if she kept her maiden name, but go rent some George Burns and Gracie Allen movies you young whippersnapper! ;)

I should have said Gracie Allen, I don't know if she used it as a stage name after marrying George Burns or if she kept her maiden name, but go rent some George Burns and Gracie Allen movies you young whippersnapper! ;)

She never added "Burns" to her name at any point, she Gracie Allen until she passed away :cool:

It's not youth there...I'm probably younger and I got the reference right away. :)

Some things are just way over peoples heads...that joke went a mile over his ;)

Back to the original question for a moment before returning to George and Gracie:

Does this team need to win another ring to "redeem" itself and help minimize the sting of those two losses and maximize the impact of their decade long greatness?

I wouldn't use the word "redeem" myself, but let's skip that for now. As has been debated in other threads, the Pats should go down as the team of the decade, even if the Steelers do win the Super Bowl this year. However, with both teams having won the same number of championships this decade if that does occur, it obviously makes it far less clear cut. A fourth Super Bowl victory in the decade not only seals the deal and eliminates any doubt, but it would also place the Pats of the 2000's among the best "team of the decade" in NFL history.

Although it seems to hold true in the court of public opinion, I don't understand why a Super Bowl loss tarnishes a team's reputation. Why is it that in many people's minds that ending the season earlier in the playoffs - or not making the playoffs at all - is better than losing in the Super Bowl? This is not something new; people used to get down on the Vikings, the Broncos and the Bills for their Super Bowl losses. Now some people act like the Pats loss makes three wins less impressive than two wins, or even teams with one win this decade. Three wins > two wins; four appearnces > two appearances.

An extra benefit that would be provided is that the "haven't won anything since 2004" and "can't win without spying" crowd would be quieted down - at least until they came up with another excuse. The flip side to that unfortunately is that anything less will be used as "proof" by the haters that the Pats of this decade weren't all that great, they were chokers, and couldn't win without cheating. Whether it be this year or somewhere down the road, another BB/Brady Super Bowl win is going to be needed to get those folks to STFU.

Back to the original question for a moment before returning to George and Gracie:

I wouldn't use the word "redeem" myself, but let's skip that for now. As has been debated in other threads, the Pats should go down as the team of the decade, even if the Steelers do win the Super Bowl this year. However, with both teams having won the same number of championships this decade if that does occur, it obviously makes it far less clear cut. A fourth Super Bowl victory in the decade not only seals the deal and eliminates any doubt, but it would also place the Pats of the 2000's among the best "team of the decade" in NFL history.

Although it seems to hold true in the court of public opinion, I don't understand why a Super Bowl loss tarnishes a team's reputation. Why is it that in many people's minds that ending the season earlier in the playoffs - or not making the playoffs at all - is better than losing in the Super Bowl? This is not something new; people used to get down on the Vikings, the Broncos and the Bills for their Super Bowl losses. Now some people act like the Pats loss makes three wins less impressive than two wins, or even teams with one win this decade. Three wins > two wins; four appearnces > two appearances.

An extra benefit that would be provided is that the "haven't won anything since 2004" and "can't win without spying" crowd would be quieted down - at least until they came up with another excuse. The flip side to that unfortunately is that anything less will be used as "proof" by the haters that the Pats of this decade weren't all that great, they were chokers, and couldn't win without cheating. Whether it be this year or somewhere down the road, another BB/Brady Super Bowl win is going to be needed to get those folks to STFU.

Great answer--and it took 8 pages for someone to nail it.

Anyone who didn't see that after Spygate 2007 became nothing more than a bloodthirsty revenge tour by the Pats simply wasn't paying attention.

Does anyone really think that Belichick just robotically focuses on the next opponent or challenge, and doesn't often reflect on the overall picture, like for instance what his legacy will be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe