PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does the bitter end to 2007 have to be redeemed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but 2007 will never be redeemed unless we somehow go 19-0. We could win a superbowl this year sure, hell we could go back to back in the next 2 years but if we don't go undefeated the 07 season will haunt me forever.

Sorry but 2007 will never be redeemed unless we somehow go 19-0. We could win a superbowl this year sure, hell we could go back to back in the next 2 years but if we don't go undefeated the 07 season will haunt me forever.

I actually feel bad for you that you can't enjoy the accomplishments of this remarkable team, both in 2007 and across the decade, but rather are "haunted" by its performance. That's really unfortunate.

Few sports fans in any city in any country pulling for any team in any sport are lucky enough to ever have been supporters of a team like the Belichick/Brady Patriots. I think maybe you might try to get a little perspective and then try to enjoy this remarkable set of achievements. It is unlikely that any team in the post-cap/free agency era will even match let alone exceed five AFCCG's, four SB's and three rings in seven years.

Like every other Pats fans on this board, I hope that Tommy and Coach bring home another trophy, but if they don't, they have already far exceeded the expectations of this long time fan. I enjoy the team and I enjoy the game. I hope you can do the same.

I actually feel bad for you that you can't enjoy the accomplishments of this remarkable team, both in 2007 and across the decade, but rather are "haunted" by its performance. That's really unfortunate.

Few sports fans in any city in any country pulling for any team in any sport are lucky enough to ever have been supporters of a team like the Belichick/Brady Patriots. I think maybe you might try to get a little perspective and then try to enjoy this remarkable set of achievements. It is unlikely that any team in the post-cap/free agency era will even match let alone exceed five AFCCG's, four SB's and three rings in seven years.

Like every other Pats fans on this board, I hope that Tommy and Coach bring home another trophy, but if they don't, they have already far exceeded the expectations of this long time fan. I enjoy the team and I enjoy the game. I hope you can do the same.

I don't disagree with anything you said but i think it's different time frames. You are a little older be a fan since '74 and so you have seen all the down times and a few good times in '85 I think until the super bowl. The younger guys that really started watching football in this decade almost accept it as the norm now so it is difficult for them to invision where the pats have come from to where they are now. I am one of the younger guys but I started really watching football in around '96 so I got the bledsoe era and into this decade. I play football and so you always can appreciate a dynasty but I just feel the pats being that close to perfection and being the better team you just don't lose that game. You dig down and just do it. Anyways that is my rambling but hopefully we get another one this season.

Its probably because I was going to school at the University of Buffalo at the time, so it was really the only thing Bills fans could talk **** about, and one of my roommates was a Giants fan, so I continually had it brought up on nearly a daily basis the past year and a half. Of course I can enjoy the previous accomplishments I still do. But nothing will be able to avenge the 07 season short of a perfect season, nothing. Lol I still have dreams of Asante making that pick or Moss catching that hail mary and I mean that in all seriousness.

I don't disagree with anything you said but i think it's different time frames. You are a little older be a fan since '74 and so you have seen all the down times and a few good times in '85 I think until the super bowl. The younger guys that really started watching football in this decade almost accept it as the norm now so it is difficult for them to invision where the pats have come from to where they are now. I am one of the younger guys but I started really watching football in around '96 so I got the bledsoe era and into this decade. I play football and so you always can appreciate a dynasty but I just feel the pats being that close to perfection and being the better team you just don't lose that game. You dig down and just do it. Anyways that is my rambling but hopefully we get another one this season.
Yeah I agree with you, 96 is about when I became a real football fan in addition to being just a Patriots fan, back in 5th grade. But yeah I don't have the same perspective as some of the older guys here I never had to endure any really terrible seasons aside from 2000, but I respect where you're coming from, I think I'm just in a different situation that some others considering I was a pilgrim in an unholy land for the 05,06,07, and 08 seasons as I was going to school at the University of Buffalo. So I was constantly having salt poured on my wounds by jealous Bills fans haha.

Its probably because I was going to school at the University of Buffalo at the time, so it was really the only thing Bills fans could talk **** about, and one of my roommates was a Giants fan, so I continually had it brought up on nearly a daily basis the past year and a half. Of course I can enjoy the previous accomplishments I still do. But nothing will be able to avenge the 07 season short of a perfect season, nothing. Lol I still have dreams of Asante making that pick or Moss catching that hail mary and I mean that in all seriousness.

I "get" your point and I would probably feel the same way if I were relatively new to following the NFL. So, maybe it is a generational thing.

I like to think of myself as a student of the NFL and its history, so I look at what the Pats have accomplished, put it context and say, "whoa, I can't believe my guys have done that!" when only three teams have won more SB's (Cowboys, Steelers, Niners) and only three teams have gone to more SB's (Cowboys, Steelers, Broncos). I also firmly believe that, as long as the Patriots franchise is in the hands of the Krafts, the Pats will over time take their place at the top of those lists. I guess I'm just willing to accept that it might not happen in a particular year.

And, a final bit of perspective, of the 32 NFL franchises, 15 have never won even one SB.

I agree. I don't ever think that I will be able to get over that loss unless we go undefeated again and win the SB. Although it would be nice to win another SB so I can get all the people back that plastered my office with 18-1 posters and covered every piece of wall, desk, chair, computer, everything.
Ouch! That musta sucked!

I can't forget the feel around my town the Day After. I had to go to work and make a few stops along the way. The lumber yard was full of people trying to get started but the place was silent! No one could talk. No one had idle chat or comments about the game. I'll never forget it.

Yes, another SB will be awesome, will cement the Pats' legacy as the team of the 00's, shut up Steelers fans for good, all that....but only a 19-0 season will completely erase the loss to the Giants. I need it, but I doubt the Pats do.

Last edited:
16-0

Never done before or since.

There's nothing to redeem.

Your right this was a unique chance, it may take anothe 30-40 years for it to happen again..

What is done cannot be undone. Like any other disappointment in your life, you simply learn to live with it. You move on. Its not like another superbowl or even a perfect season reverses what happened that year. Even if they do go on to win this year's superbowl, I would be proud that they won four superbowls this decade but I would still regret that they didn't win that fifth. But whatever...this team has given more good then bad, at least in the past 15 years or so.

16-0

Never done before or since.

There's nothing to redeem.

Yes, there is. Nobody cares that they went 16-0 because they choked when it mattered most. They don't have to 19-0, but a super bowl victory would help.

Yes, there is. Nobody cares that they went 16-0 because they choked when it mattered most. They don't have to 19-0, but a super bowl victory would help.

I care. There's nothing to redeem.

Now you have a nice day.

Good for you if you're satisfied with that! I sure as hell wouldn't want you on my team because you're an underachiever. Have a nice day.

Right, because achieving something that's never been done before is an 'under' achievement.

Right, because achieving something that's never been done before is an 'under' achievement.

You know what else hasn't been done before? Winning 18 straight before choking the big one away. You probably would be congratulating the players after that super bowl choke job. That is what the 2007 Pats will always be remembered for. That whole season was one major failure. Great achievement if you ask me. :rolleyes:

You know what else hasn't been done before? Winning 18 straight before choking the big one away. You probably would be congratulating the players after that super bowl choke job. That is what the 2007 Pats will always be remembered for. That whole season was one major failure. Great achievement if you ask me. :rolleyes:

I didn't ask you.

Well, I'm telling you what it is.

funny-pictures-frankly-my-dear-this-cat-does-not-give-a-damn.jpg

I care. There's nothing to redeem.

Now you have a nice day.

Funny how it's being brushed aside when all throughout the regular season as 16-0 was unfolding they were being told "it can't be done". They did what could not be done, they did it will grace and style and did it in a way nobody else could do in the face of rivals and contenders and did it the hard way in the end- they achieved the impossible.

People are apt to point out the postseason as being different than the regular season but are also quick to point out how this year ended...conveniently switching gears as it fits them. The postseason was a disappointment, but the regular season was one that will be remembered for decades to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News