PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does BB Need To Bring In An Experienced DC To Rebuild The Defense?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Vote.

• Yes, but the new DC should handle schemes only.

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • Yes, but the new DC should handle schemes and personnel.

Votes: 58 58.0%
  • No.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Everything is fine./Tralala/Other (please specify)

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should have gone all out to get Wade Phillips

The guy can't be a HC if he tried,but give him a defense and he has ALWAYS brought that defense up to new heights....a better defensive mind than either Ryan brother and up there with LaBeau

Should have gone all out to get Wade Phillips

The guy can't be a HC if he tried,but give him a defense and he has ALWAYS brought that defense up to new heights....a better defensive mind than either Ryan brother and up there with LaBeau

as we have discussed ad nauseam, BB's ego will not allow anyone like Romeo, charlie or Wade Phillips to be brought in a DC or OC. If it happens next year, most probably he may not be our HC.

We are in a serious grid lock at this moment it seems... don't know how things gonna get resolved next year

lol @ all these old guys. Desean Jackson, Vincent Jackson, Dwayne Bowe, Stevie Johnson all are free agents at the end of the season. WR are as deep as any year in this draft and the same goes for corners. The players will be there this offseason, we will see who we bring in when that time comes. For now were tied for first and we have to make the most of what we have which isn't much at safety/corner/3rd down lb.

Good call on Vincent Jackson. Wayne is certainly a bit old and would represent a "more of the same" mentality. Jackson is an absolute playmaker and would add an offensive element that is sorely lacking.

However, on defense if Belichick wants to continue to emphasize having smart players who really understand stategic concepts it would make sense to target veterans. Plus, there is a certain level of physicality needed to play in the NFL that this staff doesn't seem to understand how to implement. This BAL/PIT game makes that painfully obvious.

This fix isn't a simple matter of adding raw talent. "Old guys" like Reed and Freeney probably have 3 or 4 years of playing at a very high level and would represent a quick, sure-fire fix, IMO.

Last edited:
Our offense lost the game today.

What is wrong with you people.

Our offense lost the game today.

What is wrong with you people.
Correction - the Patriots offense played poorly for the majority of the game before giving the defense a lead with 90 seconds and 80 yards to drive for the loss.

The Patriots lost the game. Apportioning blame to one ahead of the other isn't particularly smart.

please don't tell him:

I'm getting tired of watching ray lewis' (big dog) pregame rap.

That also goes for drew brees

and keith brookings (nuff said)

Someone said this earlier in the week...

BB the GM is f*cking BB the coach.

Can't tell if the scheme is the problem when the players are less than average.

Personally, I'm leaning towards a DC with personnel/drafting responsibilities, who will actually draft defensive playmakers, instead of trading down and declaring draft victory because the Pats end up with 31 5th-round and 29 6th-round picks. :rolleyes:

Of course, it's all hypothetical, making it suitable fodder for message board rumination. IRL, I doubt BB would initiate or accept any change that could be seen as a reduction in his power.

Last edited:
Good call on Vincent Jackson. Wayne is certainly a bit old and would represent a "more of the same" mentality. Jackson is an absolute playmaker and would add an offensive element that is sorely lacking.
Definitely... that guy has impressed me a ton nearly every time I've watched him. Strong as a bull yet such a crisp runner. Almost the total package at WR, I'd love if we could get him. I'm not entirely sold on his character yet, but there hasn't seemed to be an issue as of late and I'm sure he could meld with this locker room (espec if some of these other guys have done it, most notably Moss).

They need better coordinators period.

when your last line of defense are all ST players your going to suck, everyone is calling for The pats to bring in a big name DC do yous really think that they would want to coach for the pats even if BB would let them do what they want ?

if the pats do the same thing they do every year and just bring in JAG's and over the hill vets the defense will still suck and all the blem will be on that DC and if the pats have a good Draft and the defense gets better BB the Genius has donn it again and put a great defense on the field that DC will get no glory, this team needs talent not coaching

What BB needs to do is to pull his head out of his ass and stop making the kinds of crap decisions that lead to the personnel problems this defense has.

Of all the pats defenders the following are keepers

wilfork
chung
mccourty
spikes
mayo
ninkovich (great in specialty role)
dowling (looked good when visible)

cunningham ?? On his way out ??

No go = arrington (ok keeps for special situations)
ihedigbo (special teams only)
barrett
brown
moulden
adams (whoever that is / where did he come from?)

carter / anderson / love / etc there all very similar.

What a mess.

Never thought i'd miss butler and merriweather so much. We downgraded all over the place.

Where are you assante samuel

we will still go 10-6 or 11-5.

Can anyone explain or evaluate shane vereen's ability or status.

I kinda think ridley can play but i'm not sure, he looked good in some l.s.u. Highlights yesterday.

Get wes welker some help before he gets killed on those shallow crosses.

Two words for bb - roll tide

He could use help yes but like others said it's a personnel issue. You can't make up for the amount of scrub ass jokes we have in that secondary with coaching.

He definitely needs an OC though. With the personnel we have on offense there's no excuse for it looking as bad as it has recently. None whatsoever.

John Foxx be looking for a DC job come January

Don't be so sure. Fox may not like Tebow, but Tebow may just be saving asses (Fox, Elway) in Denver.

The defensive line stopped a decent offense today.

They held a team that was missing its top two offensive playmakers to 24 points. If that's become our definition of "stopped", then the standards have fallen pretty far around here.

As others on here have said, Belichick is fine as a defensive coordinator. Belichick as the guy who's bringing in the personnel... not so much.

I actually think our LBs are the weakest link after the Secondary. Our LBs are terrible in coverage and Ninko is terrible at pass rushing.

We had Dom Capers. How did that work? He joined the Packers and gave them a much improved defense.
BB needs to humble himself. He is no longer the best Defensive mind. The NFL has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News