PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does BB Need To Bring In An Experienced DC To Rebuild The Defense?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Vote.

• Yes, but the new DC should handle schemes only.

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • Yes, but the new DC should handle schemes and personnel.

Votes: 58 58.0%
  • No.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Everything is fine./Tralala/Other (please specify)

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
when your last line of defense are all ST players your going to suck, everyone is calling for The pats to bring in a big name DC do yous really think that they would want to coach for the pats even if BB would let them do what they want ?

if the pats do the same thing they do every year and just bring in JAG's and over the hill vets the defense will still suck and all the blem will be on that DC and if the pats have a good Draft and the defense gets better BB the Genius has donn it again and put a great defense on the field that DC will get no glory, this team needs talent not coaching
I know, we have sucked for so long, I just cant deal with itl

the defense the last 3 years has sucked they are winning because Brady is an amazing QB
The defense last year, after week 3 allowed the 3rd fewest points in the NFL. Does that suck?

The defense last year, after week 3 allowed the 3rd fewest points in the NFL. Does that suck?

then that is even more reason not to cut the player they had and replace them with ST players

Well actually what Bill could do is bring is promote Dante to HC,
take the full time role of DC ... and bring back Walter Camp and the "T" formation.:cool:

then that is even more reason not to cut the player they had and replace them with ST players
But your point is 'we sucked for so long' why not respond about that?

Well actually what Bill could do is bring is promote Dante to HC,
take the full time role of DC ... and bring back Walter Camp and the "T" formation.:cool:

Solutions are easy, really. The problem is that BB seems to be giving the world the finger, as if trying to prove that he's playing chess while every other person in football is playing with a drool cup.

But your point is 'we sucked for so long' why not respond about that?

i dont understand why your so mad ? i thought you was leveing for the week because you cant take us jets fans lol if u cant see that the 32th ranked defense is not good then what can i say we will have to agree to disagree

Those 'impressive rankings' mean absolute sh!t when the team gives up 61 Points in 2 games the past 2 years in the playoffs

Regular Season stats are the same as any Offseason Super Bowl proclaim ...worthless

Bad defenses will almost ALWAYS be exposed in the playoffs when the intensity picks up.

Last edited:
Good call on Vincent Jackson. Wayne is certainly a bit old and would represent a "more of the same" mentality. Jackson is an absolute playmaker and would add an offensive element that is sorely lacking.

However, on defense if Belichick wants to continue to emphasize having smart players who really understand stategic concepts it would make sense to target veterans. Plus, there is a certain level of physicality needed to play in the NFL that this staff doesn't seem to understand how to implement. This BAL/PIT game makes that painfully obvious.

This fix isn't a simple matter of adding raw talent. "Old guys" like Reed and Freeney probably have 3 or 4 years of playing at a very high level and would represent a quick, sure-fire fix, IMO.

Please no more old goats. We need fresh blood.

Those 'impressive rankings' mean absolute sh!t when the team gives up 61 Points in 2 games the past 2 years in the playoffs

Regular Season stats are the same as any Offseason Super Bowl proclaim ...worthless

Bad defenses will almost ALWAYS be exposed in the playoffs when the intensity picks up.
Mo, they mean an awful lot in response to a statement that 'we have sucked for a long time'
Add whatever opinion you wish, but that is actual play on the football field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Bill need to bring in Experienced DC and ex-players that use to play defense. Ever since Romeo left this defense can not stop anyone during the critical time in the game (Ok there was Dallas and Indy game last year). Also the defense players seem to regress form year one to year two under BB and his coaching staff (full of "yes" men). I think BB need to be challenged and pushed.

Last edited:
Don't know how to vote on this thread.

I want a DC to be brought in that will give some pushback to BB on both scheme and personnel. I don't want a DC that will have sole/controlling authority on scheme and personnel. The "handling" in the poll is ambiguous.

I have no idea what the fix is. I couldn't tell you if it's scheme or talent or coaching. What I do see is that over the past 5 years, there has been..

1) A steady drain in player talent by way of age or other circumstances. Seymour, Harrison, Bru, Vrabel, etc. That type of talent and experience made this defense stout and made plays when it needed to. The current defense does not.

2) A steady drain in coaching talent. I still go back to the comment Law made during TC in 2001. He was asked what the difference was between RAC and BB calling a defensive game. Law said that RAC simplified the scheme for the players. Mangini is another one. I don't know if that means a lot of a little. Despite what he says, I do think that with BB spending more time on the D or in other places does have an adverse impact on the game planning.

Simply put, I don't think it's rocket science. If you add Grade A player and coaching talent things will improve.

I chose A, but thinking it over, I change my vote to B, not that it matters.

Coach needs help buying the groceries and needs a dedicated defensive coordinator.

I think SMY just used this poll for her report. :bricks:

Way to be a journalist.

as we have discussed ad nauseam, BB's ego will not allow anyone like Romeo, charlie or Wade Phillips to be brought in a DC or OC. If it happens next year, most probably he may not be our HC.

We are in a serious grid lock at this moment it seems... don't know how things gonna get resolved next year

And just what to you have to support this theory of yours? Or is it just you parroting the medios Curran and Gaspar with no real proof to support it?

Definitely... that guy has impressed me a ton nearly every time I've watched him. Strong as a bull yet such a crisp runner. Almost the total package at WR, I'd love if we could get him. I'm not entirely sold on his character yet, but there hasn't seemed to be an issue as of late and I'm sure he could meld with this locker room (espec if some of these other guys have done it, most notably Moss).

Except that Jackson is a head case and a seriously liability off the field..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes