PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do YOU want 17 or 18 regular season games?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How many games should an NFL season have?

• 16 regular-season, four preseason

Votes: 41 19.0%
  • 16 regular-season, two or three preseason

Votes: 83 38.4%
  • 17 regular-season, three preseason

Votes: 27 12.5%
  • 18 regular-season, two preseason

Votes: 65 30.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
People bring up salaries because these men are paid astoundingly well to do a job. It is in no way separate and distinct from the physical beating they will take, it is exactly what they are getting paid for.

Steve D. on WEEI just stated he was pretty sure the players would agree to play two more games, but only if they were paid more. Hmmm seems even the players bring up salaries.

College players getting compensated? division 1 players do, division 3 players don't.

From your logic we should root the patriots to miss the playoffs, they might get a booboo playing in those darn extra playoff games.
Apparently you do not understand much about football..and probably a cheer leader for Goodell...WHO doesnt get it either.. Maybe you want 20 games??? Maybe 25?? Would you like that??

Are the chances for injury and player wear and tear really increased that much if they keep the 20 game schedule (16 + 4 PS games) but simply change 2 PS games to regular games, thereby making the schedule 18 + 2 PS games)? I know that some starters will play more if those 2 games are changed to regular season, but probably only a couple or few quarters.

16 regular-season, two or three preseason sounds about right.

Wouldn't more games screw the stats all up?

Do we really care enough about stats for that to be the reason we wouldn't extend the season?

They would certainly be screwed up though in terms of comparison.

Sure, but they're all screwed up already from the changes from 12 to 14 to 16 games.

16 games in the season is plenty. If the league is really so greedy as to feel a need to squeeze even more money out of everyone, it can add a second bye week and extend the season without adding games. That would allow for a bigger TV contract and for the players to get another week's rest, instead of putting players at increased risk of injury.

Last edited:
16 games in the season is plenty. If the league is really so greedy as to feel a need to squeeze even more money out of everyone, it can add a second bye week and extend the season without adding games. That would allow for a bigger TV contract and for the players to get another week's rest, instead of putting players at increased risk of injury.

Plenty maybe, but I'd enjoy seeing more. I hate preseason games and would prefer to change two over to regular season games. Hell, I'd be willing to drop PS to one 6 quarter game and increase the regular season to 18 games for a net decrease of 1/2 game as compared to now. Let the on-the-bubble guys battle it out and have the regulars shake some rust off in that one extra long PS game. And then stick in a second bye to let dinged up guys (which is probably everyone) get more rest throughout the season.

I would think a change similar to that would not increase the risk of injury greatly if at all.

I'm so biased against anything/everything Goodell does, I don't think I can fairly judge this BUT, as a LONG TIME NFL fan, I neither want nor need MORE games in a season and I LOATHE games played on neutral sites out of country that impact a team's record, especially the Patriots. Add in all this new "protection rule changes!!!!!!" hysteria enacted primarily on the urging of Ratdell and what you have is just what I feared most last season....a NY born and bred megalomaniac running amok in the best sports league in the world....really, I can't say I like ONE thing this mutt has done since he became "commish".

Apparently you do not understand much about football..and probably a cheer leader for Goodell...WHO doesnt get it either.. Maybe you want 20 games??? Maybe 25?? Would you like that??

Lol I suppose based on your years playing professional football you can tell that 20 games is the perfect amount of games. Oh wait we are still talking about 20 games.. Oh well based on all your years playing professional football you know just how much extra wear and tear changing two preseason games to regular games will put on your body.. Oh but I am sure that you know more than current and former nfl players what is best for them, well what about the players who have already come out and said as long as they get paid they don't care... I guess you don't have a clue what you are talking about. /ignore

Lol I suppose based on your years playing professional football you can tell that 20 games is the perfect amount of games. Oh wait we are still talking about 20 games.. Oh well based on all your years playing professional football you know just how much extra wear and tear changing two preseason games to regular games will put on your body.. Oh but I am sure that you know more than current and former nfl players what is best for them, well what about the players who have already come out and said as long as they get paid they don't care... I guess you don't have a clue what you are talking about. /ignore
And you have taken a survey of what players have said about this??? So now YOU speak for teh players?? please....I can understand being a rumpswab of Goodell...and following his dictates...but now thinking you are speaking for the players? How many have said that one...two?? I think the NFLPA will have a lot to say about this issue as well. It's funny how Goodell when asked about any player pushback on this issue how he sidestepped that question and kept coming back to this 20 game season. Yes, it does make a difference between preseason and teh real season. But cluless ojnes like you will never understand that.

OK I will type this slowly for you......They play 20 games now...If it goes to 18 regular and 2 preseason game it still will be 20...... Even you can do the math

Rumpswab?? are you 14 or just dumb?

The NFL doesn't do things on a whim. They are a very well run, profitable business. At first glance I buy in to the concept that this would enhance revenue streams for the owners. The NFL would have as many as three extra weeks of television revenue (two more games plus an extra bye week) as well as additional money made from concession sales at the stadium. But gate receipts would be about the same (season ticket holders paying for the same number of games) and the players get more than half of the TV revenue. With extra regular season games the players are going to expect their salary per game to be the same, while the size of the rosters and practice squads will need to increase.

Add all those factors in and this may not be the financial windfall for owners that it is being made out to be. So why is this being brought up now by Goodell? In my opinion it is in preparation for the CBA; it will be used as part of the negotiations with the NFLPA. For example the owners side may say 'okay, we'll back down from the two extra games if you drop your portion of the TV revenue that makes up the salary cap by 2%'. It would give the appearance that both sides made a concession while in reality the NFL gave up nothing in exchange for what they are after, a reduction of the percentage of revenue that goes towards the salary cap.

He mentioned that it was for the fans in the sense that the fans want to see the regular starters play more. I would rather see them play and the end of the season, than the beginning.

Plus, a real fan wants to see the younger players play. They want to see what the rookies have, and who the future of their team is.

My humble opinion.

You got that right.

I enjoy watching the rookies develop and imho the preseason games are very important. Granted they're not exciting football many times but they're important to the coaches. I actually wish the PS would have a game sometime during preseason; we never get to see those guys and see their progress. Maybe not thrilling football but still.

Our boys were SPENT at the end of 07; they started out with a completely different tactic in 08,one which would've worked :D if not for certain problems.

Goodell's introducing more rules to tame down the game and now he's talking about expanding the season. The two go hand in hand I suppose; less violent,less physical,decrease injury therefore increase longevity. More bang for his buck.

I like the season just the way it is and as far as seeing the starters? Eyes On The Prize;)

OK I will type this slowly for you......They play 20 games now...If it goes to 18 regular and 2 preseason game it still will be 20...... Even you can do the math

LOL

They play 16 games now over 17 weeks and 4 pre season pseudo scrimmages in August, as they work back through training camp, during which starters play about 5 quarters spread over 4 weeks. Starters would now have to play those 5 quarters within a 2 week pre season to get them ready to then immediately commence 18 more regular season games over 20 weeks with the goal of playing 23-24 games over 25 weeks. Meanwhile it would have also made it exponentially more difficult for coaching staffs to figure out how to fill out the expanded rosters with high functioning backups and identify functional increased injury depth absent sufficient game reps for evaluation of non starters in pre season...

Every team would lose at least three weeks of off season recovery or conditioning time, not to mention coaches would see their time for evaluating performance of present players, potential FA's, and potential draftees shrink by 1/3rd. Even BB has acknowledged the effect that has on a perrenial playoff team over time under the present system. Now all teams would be on that schedule and playoff teams would be stretched even further.

But other than that, it's obviously a no brainer...:rolleyes:

I'm guessing that's why it seems so simple to you.

Neither and you can kiss my a**

LOL

They play 16 games now over 17 weeks and 4 pre season pseudo scrimmages in August, as they work back through training camp, during which starters play about 5 quarters spread over 4 weeks. Starters would now have to play those 5 quarters within a 2 week pre season to get them ready to then immediately commence 18 more regular season games over 20 weeks with the goal of playing 23-24 games over 25 weeks. Meanwhile it would have also made it exponentially more difficult for coaching staffs to figure out how to fill out the expanded rosters with high functioning backups and identify functional increased injury depth absent sufficient game reps for evaluation of non starters in pre season...

Every team would lose at least three weeks of off season recovery or conditioning time, not to mention coaches would see their time for evaluating performance of present players, potential FA's, and potential draftees shrink by 1/3rd. Even BB has acknowledged the effect that has on a perrenial playoff team over time under the present system. Now all teams would be on that schedule and playoff teams would be stretched even further.

But other than that, it's obviously a no brainer...:rolleyes:

I'm guessing that's why it seems so simple to you.

That all makes sense. Too bad, I liked my one-super-preseason-game proposal.

Has anyone heard how receptive owners are to the idea of expanding the regular season?

Keep the 16 games and reduce the pre season. Injuries will obviously increase with more games.

I dont see what the big deal is 18 would be great if they cut out two preseason games. They could do controlled scrimmages against opponents if they really wanted to also

I hope y'all recognize that this is the first step of negotiations for a new CBA. More revenues and more money for the players. In return for...

First bargaining chip laid down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes