PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do YOU want 17 or 18 regular season games?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How many games should an NFL season have?

• 16 regular-season, four preseason

Votes: 41 19.0%
  • 16 regular-season, two or three preseason

Votes: 83 38.4%
  • 17 regular-season, three preseason

Votes: 27 12.5%
  • 18 regular-season, two preseason

Votes: 65 30.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree....but by far the WORST thing I have ever heard from him was in that news conference when he made a big deal about the quality of preseason games and how that HAD to be improved. He mentioned that a few times which to me means that this pinhead does not understand that ANY team with sense is NOT going to play a preseason game with the same intensity as a REAL game. I was frankly shocked he made that argument so many times. The quality of the game in fact is being compromised with lengthening the season 1 or 2 games AND of course adding one international and/or neutral site game into the season. He quickly avoided answering on health or of players reactions to that.
When asked about the feedback from the study on this he said
"We can fo this and do this effectively..." Seems to me like HE has already made his mind up. My thinking is that talent evaluation and player development will basically be trashed for the preseason. CoachB has said it really takes only two games to get a team ready for vets. The bozos WILL have to address how talent evaluation and development will happen..in what way, whether that is early camp, a developmental league or some other way that that can happen. It will change the offseason and preseason schedule big time and I dod not think that has been looked at at all, as has roster expansion, byes etc. But the 17-18 game expansion is on the fast track, the consequences be damned.
But the big news from that is preseason games are not up to NFL standards.
I agree..I THINK there should be an uprising as he is going to ruin the NFL. I have followed sports for a long time now..many decades and I have never seen a more arrogant and dangerous commish in any sport.

The preseason games aren't up to NFL standards and they charge full price to season ticket holders. The quality of the nfl is not going to be compromised if they add one or two more regular season games and do away with one or two preseason games, which everyone hates, and I'm sure teams will still manage somehow to evaluate their talent in the 11/2 months they have their players practicing pretty much every day.

I'd also agree with you on the whole arrogant part, although Bud Selig annoys me just as much as he does.

Fuhrer Goodell says the fans want 17 or 18 regular-season games and two or three preseason games. He plans to push this to the owners. If anything, I think they should keep 16 regular-season games and drop one or two preseason games, replacing them with controlled scrimmages. Of course, the owners won't go for that because it would mean less revenue. But, 17 or 18 REGULAR-SEASON games? There's enough injury attrition already. I'm sick of this prima donna tinkering with the game.

In total agreement. Keep the 16 games and drop some of the useless and totally overpriced preseason games which serve very little purpose outside of taking more of the NFL fans money.

109-81 (as of this morning), maintain 16-game season vs. adding more. But we're the "real" fans as someone has pointed out, not the casual fan that the NFL allegedly would be out to woo with an expanded schedule.

Some players weigh in on adding games:

Chiefs veteran RG Mike Goff answered a question with his own question when asked about the expanded schedule.

“Has the Commissioner ever played 16 games in a season?” the 12-year veteran asked.

When told Goodell had never played pro football, Goff scratched his beard and shook his head.

“I don’t know what the answer is, but at some point it’s too much,” Goff said.

Most of the veteran Chiefs had only heard sketchy reports of the idea over the lasts couple months. But most do not like the idea.

“I don’t know enough about the situation right now to say much about it,” said WR Bobby Engram, the oldest player on the Chiefs roster at 36 years of age and in his 14th season in the league.

“Two extra weeks is pretty tough. I say cut two pre-season games and keep it the way it is.”

Another soon to be 36-year old, 14-year veteran agreed with Engram.

“There is a point where it’s too much,” said LB Zach Thomas. “I don’t know what that point is. I don’t know if it’s 17 or 18 games, or if we’ve already found it at 16 games. I love the game of football, but there’s only so much the body can take and there’s only so much that the mind can overcome with the body.

“I’m not sure I understand why we would need more games.”

There are more quotes and comments in the article, including dissimilar opinions.

Chiefs News Chiefs Update | Chiefs Football at BobGretz.com

Last edited:
If it aint broken, don't fix it.

16 and 4 is fine.

It sure helps your argument when you only quote the players that agree with your side and simply mention, dissimilar opinions. Do you work for ABC?

How many quotes should I have posted? I noted that there were dissimilar opinions, and I didn't include all the quotes that agreed with my position. I quoted Goff because he's been to the AFCCG and I quoted Thomas because he's played for so many years. We're supposed to limit how much we quote from articles due to copyright concerns.

Feel free to post a quote or two from those you think took a different stance. I did provide the link, after all.

Last edited:
I want to keep with 16 game format. However it would also be nice if they cut 2 of the meaningless preseason games. Instead the pre-season games would happen every 2 weeks. And in between the pre-season games are optional scrimmage games that teams can opt to use or not as they see fit. Who the heck buys tix for pre-season anyways?

I want to keep with 16 game format. However it would also be nice if they cut 2 of the meaningless preseason games. Instead the pre-season games would happen every 2 weeks. And in between the pre-season games are optional scrimmage games that teams can opt to use or not as they see fit. Who the heck buys tix for pre-season anyways?
I always like it how one calls preseason games meaningless...to who the poster?? OR are you talking about the players and coaches...who do NOT see those games as anything close to meaningless??? scrimmage games?? Go stick to Madden and let the football people amke the decisions....if you have read or talked to ANY football coaches...they would tell you that scrimmages do not tell you much of anything and that GAMES in the preseason do.

How many quotes should I have posted? I noted that there were dissimilar opinions, and I didn't include all the quotes that agreed with my position. I quoted Goff because he's been to the AFCCG and I quoted Thomas because he's played for so many years. We're supposed to limit how much we quote from articles due to copyright concerns.

Feel free to post a quote or two from those you think took a different stance. I did provide the link, after all.

It'll be tough to make the case since the only vaguely dissimilar opinion was given by a young guy who admitted his interest would be purely financial and tempered his stance by saying ask him again though when he's older...

It's just common sense.

18 games! i love me some football so gimme more games that matter!!

Why don't we have 18 games and 4 pre-games so that we don't have to wait this long to watch NFL games?

Ok how bout

"“If they are going to pay us to play those extra games, then I’m sure some players would be for the idea,” said S Jon McGraw, an eight-year veteran. “But if they just want to keep the money what it is today and divide it by 1/17th or 1/18th instead of what they do now, then I don’t think you are going to find many players supporting the idea.”"

or

"C Rudy Niswanger is one of the team’s assistant player representatives, sharing those duties with McGraw. Brian Waters serves as the team’s player rep. He says as long as the extended season is negotiated with the NFL Players Association, he doesn’t think it’s necessarily a bad idea.

“If they determine they want to play more games and pay us accordingly, then good,” said Niswanger. “I’m still a young guy and I don’t have all the aches and pains that more veteran players have. Talk to me in about six years and I would have a different answer for you.”

Other than a few dinosaurs seems to me like its all about the money.

Could they keep a 16 week schedule but play 2 x 40 minute games per week and instead of wins and losses track "points" like in the NHL? I'd also like to see a 3 point line instituted. It did open up the NBA game, after all.

52:)

Ok then two weeks vacation per season so 44.:)

No need then for a UFL or CFL. ;)

Could they keep a 16 week schedule but play 2 x 40 minute games per week and instead of wins and losses track "points" like in the NHL? I'd also like to see a 3 point line instituted. It did open up the NBA game, after all.

yeah, yeah. and let's start with the goalposts set at like five feet off the ground at Kickoff and and then raise them five feet a quarter so that a Field Goal at the end of the game is really hard but make it worth like ten points.

yeah, yeah. and let's start with the goalposts set at like five feet off the ground at Kickoff and and then raise them five feet a quarter so that a Field Goal at the end of the game is really hard but make it worth like ten points.

That is an awesome idea!

That is an awesome idea!

thx. all kidding aside, the NFL is the only major sports league in the US that leaves us, its fans, wanting more at the end of the season. why mess with that formula? for me, the nba and nhl seasons are overlong and leave me wishing they would "just end already" about a month before they grind to a close. mlb is nice into october for the weather and tradition, but it could just as well start in may or even june as far as i'm concerned.

I'm for the 18 game season if it means cutting down on the preseason. The preseason is worthless, scrubs playing against other scrubs, who will mostly get cut before the team plays a game that matters.

But the tickets cost the same. Beer costs the same, hotdogs cost the same.

So two more games that mean something VS 2 games that are utter crap and meaningless? No contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down