PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

POLL: What is the more impressive regular-season record in sports...16-0 Patriots or 73-9 GSW?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who has the more impressive regular-season record in sports?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
2015 - 2016 Golden State Warriors

Team League records

Most single-season wins in an NBA season: 73 out of 82 games
Most three-pointers scored by a team in a single season: 1,077
First team in NBA history to not lose to the same opponent twice in the regular season
First team in NBA history to avoid consecutive losses in the regular season
Highest effective field goal percentage (56.3 percent) in NBA history

Individual League Records

Steph Curry:

Most single-season three pointers by one player: 402
First player in NBA history to average more than 30 points per game in less than 35 minutes
Third player in NFL history to enter the 50–40–90 club (shooting percentage at or above 50% for field goals, 40% for three-pointers, and 90% for free throws during an entire NBA regular season)

2007 New England Patriots
Team League records

Most regular-season victories in a single season: 16
Largest point differential in a season: +315
Most first downs (391)
Most touchdowns in a season: 75
Most TD passes between passer and receiver: 23 (T.Brady / R.Moss)
Most consecutive wins by 17 points or more to begin a season: 8
Most points in 16-game regular season: 589

Individual League Records

Tom Brady:
Most games with three or more TD passes in a single season: 12
Most consecutive games with three or more TD passes: 10
Most consecutive games with completion % of 75 percent or higher in a single season: 4
Most TD passes in a single season: 50

Last edited:
Why can't they be as impressive as one another? There are significant differences and operational requirements between the two sports. Both records are incredible when you consider that.

Added an third extra option on the poll, to capture your feelings on the topic ;)

We will never see another team break the 315 PD unless they remove the salary cap. Just won't happen. Hell, even then it probably won't happen.

What are you talking about? It's gonna happen this year. :D

It's definitely the Pats. No debate and it's not even close.

You know what they say, "Basketball players are just athletes who were too afraid to wear the pads."

Basketball is a simple game, hence the round ball. Try playing with a prolate spheroid. Anyways all football successes trump any basketball's mediocre accomplishments.

Just kidding- both were incredible accomplishments. Still voted for the Pats though because I'm a homer. :D

I would say from a pure on-the-field perspective both are extremely impressive. I never thought the 95-96 Bulls record of 72-10 would be broken, but it did. Winning 70+ games in the NBA is tough. All these years there was only one team before the Warriors that did it.

However, I'd still go with the Patriots' 16-0 regular season record, simply because of the pressure this team was under. I don't know if any team in US sports had been under more scrutiny than the 07 Patriots with this Spygate crap. From the start of the season with the breaking of the news after the Jets game till the Super Bowl with the Boston Herald claiming the Patriots had taped the Rams walkthrough prior to Super Bowl XXXVI the pressure on the Patriots was immense. Everywhere they went people hated them and wanted them to lose and they still went out and dominated against a pretty tough schedule (playing in Dallas against the then 5-0 Cowboys, playing in Indianapolis against the 7-0 Colts just to name two examples).

The fact that 16-0 turned into 18-1 led to several sleepless nights

doesn't matter what their regular season record is, if they don't win the title its a waste of a year.

Arsenal Invincibles.

Purely based off the regular season - I'm going to say it's the Pats, but just by a hair. They're so hard to compare and you could make very good arguments for either team.

Although I have to say: watching Curry do some of the incredible things he has this year reminds me of how awe-struck I was when watching the Brady/Moss connection in 2007.

I respect greatness when I see it. Sadly, a pathetic amount of people cannot do the same when it comes to the Pats and have to resort to pettiness, fake scandals and "cheater!!!" cries.

Sadly, a pathetic amount of people cannot do the same when it comes to the Pats and have to resort to pettiness, fake scandals and "cheater!!!" cries.
A couple of days ago I watched the "I Hate Christian Laettner" 30 for 30 documentary. While Laettner is somewhat of a douche with the way he would bully people much of the hate he and the Duke program received really reminded me of the way people love to hate the Patriots and Brady. And also how perception rules over reality.

Well Pats didn't win the title so....

The Warriors will almost certainly win the championship, though 7 game series minimize the randomness of a single game. The Patriots probably would have won a 7 game series by 4 games to 1 in 2007. Still, if the Warriors win it all, that answer is obvious, no?

The Colts could very well have gone 16-0 two years later and effectively threw the final two games by playing Curtis Painter to avoid it. Good thing too because they would have been just as embarrassed losing to the Saints in the Super Bowl as we were to the Giants.

I'd also argue Curry's individual year was better than Brady's, since the latter only eked his way into the record books and then lost them again a few years later. This is, of course, splitting hairs about two of the greatest sustained individual performances in sports history.

The 73-9 record. Definitely. There reason is that there have been very many 14-2 or 15-1 teams in the NFL over time. A few breaks one way, or a fluke play here or there, and you can get 16-0. Yes, second place is only one game away at 72-10, but third place lost almost 45% more games at 69-13. There have been six 15-1 teams. I couldn't find the number but up tthough 2010 there were 19 teams that were 14-2. So, I would say the GSW record is the more impressive.

A 16-0 regular season record will never be topped, obviously, unless Goodell gets his way for playing 18 games (unlikely)

I voted equally impressive. If you'd waited a few weeks and put the NBA championship on top of 73-9 and compared it to an hypothetical 19-0 in 2007/08, I'd have taken the 19-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes