PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

POLL: What is the more impressive regular-season record in sports...16-0 Patriots or 73-9 GSW?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who has the more impressive regular-season record in sports?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 73-9 record. Definitely. There reason is that there have been very many 14-2 or 15-1 teams in the NFL over time. A few breaks one way, or a fluke play here or there, and you can get 16-0. Yes, second place is only one game away at 72-10, but third place lost almost 45% more games at 69-13. There have been six 15-1 teams. I couldn't find the number but up tthough 2010 there were 19 teams that were 14-2. So, I would say the GSW record is the more impressive.
Yet there has been no NFL team other than the Patriots to reach even 15-0 and only two ever reached 14-0 (the 2015 Panthers and 2009 Colts). And your "a fluke play here and there" can be used two ways. A fluke play here and there and the 2009 Colts for example could've been 11-3 instead of 14-0 going into the last two weeks of the season.

And it's misleading to say the third placed team lost 45% more games. The winning percentage difference between a 69-13 and a 73-9 team is only 5%. That is like a difference of one win in the NFL.

Last edited:
It would be unlikely, but another team in the future can simply go 74-8 or better, where the Patriots 16-0 seasons there isn't room for improvement there. Regardless, they still have to perform in the playoffs throughout, for it to really matter.

Anybody want to change their vote in light of how things ended for Golden State? lol

How many quality teams did GSW beat? There's only 3-4 in the entire league. Look I really don't care either way but the Pats beat a ton of SB contenders that year. Think back for a minute. Indy, Dallas, Cinci, Pitt, Baltimore, SD, Eagles but McNabb was hurt I believe when we played. LOL Rex helped us a lot in the Ravens game.

A lot of Pats fans don't like to talk about 07 for different reasons but I loved every second. We were dominant. It was different. A moment in time. Maybe some think it marks them as a new bandwagon fan but w/e. I rooted for Boston all my life because I'm from here. And 07 we **** on our entire division. And many other teams. And I love the hate.

Why can't they be as impressive as one another? There are significant differences and operational requirements between the two sports. Both records are incredible when you consider that.
I'll add that neither team finished, so as impressive as the achievements were, I feel most, if not every player, on both squads would say they'd trade for a championship. I know I would.

Here's my take. I was real close to voting GSW because I thought winning 73 out of 82 games is more impressive than winning 16 out of 16. But, you have to take the nature of the sport into account. There are only 5 players from the Warriors on the court during game time and 12 active players, compared to 11 for the Patriots and 53 altogether. That makes their feat more impressive IMO, especially with how much influence one or two players can have on a team in the NBA compared to one or two players in the NFL. 2007 might have been a big Brady/Moss show, but the OL was important. Wes and Gaffney were important. Bruschi, Rodney, Vrabel, Gostkowski were important. Having 3 units of a single team work together and not F it up for all but one (very important) game is absurd.

tough to say, Ill go with 16-0 simply because its undefeated. But I think you'll see 16-0 before you see 74-8. Is this contradictory?

tough to say, Ill go with 16-0 simply because its undefeated. But I think you'll see 16-0 before you see 74-8. Is this contradictory?

I'd actually think 74-8 is more likely in terms of where both sports are at the moment. Both are poor quality but NBA is terrible. I'd rather watch my parents sex tape than Raptors/Magic game. For that reason alone I can see it happening. Hell the Warriors might break it this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes