PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do YOU want 17 or 18 regular season games?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How many games should an NFL season have?

• 16 regular-season, four preseason

Votes: 41 19.0%
  • 16 regular-season, two or three preseason

Votes: 83 38.4%
  • 17 regular-season, three preseason

Votes: 27 12.5%
  • 18 regular-season, two preseason

Votes: 65 30.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to see a 17 game schedule with two bye weeks.

The 17th game could be a neutral site, interconference game featuring two teams of equal seeding (Tenn vs. NYG, Pitt vs. Car...all the way down to KC vs. Det). This way teams (a) don't lose a home game and (b) the strength of schedule becomes more balanced.

You are 100% correct. There are already too many injuries so this is a bad idea.

It's also a bad idea to be forced to pay full price for 2 pre-season (meaningless) home games.

16 games is already testing the capacity of these athletes to recover for the next season. Remember BB's reaction to not making the playoffs this year? It included a statement something like, "we can get some rest this year, which we all need."

I"d love to see an anonymous poll of GM's on this question. This is simply the owners as business owners being blind to the needs of the GM's and coaches as business operators. I'd wager that at least half of the GM's in this league believe this is crazy but won't tell their owners.

With the current roster size and the injury issues arising in a 16-game season, I would not be in favor of this (and sure, I'd always love to watch more NFL games if possible).

If the league goes this route, an increased roster size (and increases salary cap, if there is such a thing at that time) might offset some of the wear and tear.

I like to watch football. The 16 game season is better than the 14 game season, which was better than the 12 game season.

Why 18? Go to 20. Two bye weeks. No preseason games, only a few scrimmages with other teams, not full games.

They play 20 games now, just change out exhibition for regular season.

The long off-season sucks. Why would anyone not want more football?

Using injuries as a reason for not going to 18 games is thinking inside the box.

Expand your mind. There are better ways to deal with injuries than not playing football.

Expand the roster to 60 players. Expand the practice squad to 15 players. Allow 10 practice squad players who cannot be signed away by other teams. Allow each team two or three tempoarary DL players that can come back onto the team during the season after they heal.

Lots of ways if you open your mind.

If you like to watch football.

Well put and I couldn't agree more.......I love my 16 regular season Sundays (and Mondays and Thursdays and the rare Saturday). I love playoffs.

Add two more football weekends to the mix in place of pre-season teasers, I am all for it.

Add an extra bye week, expand the rosters, I am not sure injuries would significantly increase other than the obvious more exposure factor. Of course, last year proved to me, playoffs or not, the worst case scenario can happen as in the first few minutes of the first quarter of a season.

Give me that expanded football season, give me more football (sung to the tune of the obnoxious Mcd's ad).

I would like to see a 17th game only if the extra one were an inter-conference annual rivalry game (Pitt-Philly, NY-NY, etc.)

I would like to see a 17th game only if the extra one were an inter-conference annual rivalry game (Pitt-Philly, NY-NY, etc.)

I think this is a real bad idea. The football season is so short each game means so much. If your annual rival team is good and another team in your division plays a real week team every year, then it really could affect the strength of your schedule. IE The pats play the giants every year, while the bills play Detroit. Just an example but you get the picture.

I'm all for 18 games with 2 preseason games. Players can get hurt any time they step on the field, its part of the game. I would much rather watch a couple more regular season games.

just get rid of half the preseason...man money sure does corrupt

i'd like there to be more games, im sure we'd all like to watch more football. But with the added injuries i think rosters will have to be bigger, and to maintain quality one or two teams would need to be removed and i don't think anyone is prepared to do that.

For me it's the length of the football season. I'd like one less pre-season game. Start the season 2 weeks earlier and add a 2nd bye week for all teams to allow battered players to heal and minimize physical attrition.

This will never happen because it decreases rather than increases owner revenue.

I love the recurring theme in the pro 18 game posts. Screw the players, I want to watch more football from my couch. Injuries, sminjuries, part of the game... Starting players will expect/require a 12-15% increase in compensation seeing as their careers will be 12-15% shorter on average. Maybe if you want to walk away (literally being able to walk) you will leave after 8 seasons rather than 10... Fringe players will take it in the shorts as they always do with fewer oportunities to catch on or hang on and those who do will become insufficiently compensated cannon fodder... The market for designer PED's will get a much needed boost, and post career disability claims and addictions should skyrocket.

This should cut another entire season off the back end Brady's career, too. :woohoo: :bricks:

It's often said the owners and union don't give a rats ass about rank and file players in this league. Neither do at least half of the fans.

I don't see the point in adding just 1 extra game. I know adding 2 isn't a huge addition either, but at least it makes it an even 18 game schedule. The 4 (sometimes 5) game pre-season needs to go. It's tedious and annoying after the first 2 games. I'm sure the coaches can make adequate judgment of players after 2 exhibition games and all the time they spend watching them in camp.

I understand the plan to expand the season was recommended to the commish by one of his closest confidants: Mercury Morris.

I voted 16 games with 3 pre-season, but how about 18 games with 3 pre-season games, 2 bye weeks for regular season and allow more rosters for game day? I wish...

Where can I find a link to a transcript of Goodell's press conference?? I have the video..but would like to read what he has said..for I think if one read what he said..one may understand more of what was going on. THANKS!!!

3 preseason, 17 regular.

I love the recurring theme in the pro 18 game posts. Screw the players, I want to watch more football from my couch. Injuries, sminjuries, part of the game... Starting players will expect/require a 12-15% increase in compensation seeing as their careers will be 12-15% shorter on average. Maybe if you want to walk away (literally being able to walk) you will leave after 8 seasons rather than 10... Fringe players will take it in the shorts as they always do with fewer oportunities to catch on or hang on and those who do will become insufficiently compensated cannon fodder... The market for designer PED's will get a much needed boost, and post career disability claims and addictions should skyrocket.

This should cut another entire season off the back end Brady's career, too. :woohoo: :bricks:

It's often said the owners and union don't give a rats ass about rank and file players in this league. Neither do at least half of the fans.

You are so right. The couch potatoes would like a 20 game RS, damn the quality.

Certain players will HAVE to play A LOT every single game. It's not stick-and-ball, where players can take games off. Think about the wear-and-tear on quarterbacks, for example. Eighteen games PLUS playoffs. Imagine playing nine games and being only halfway through the season. Rosters would have to be expanded, and I can't see how this wouldn't water down the game. The sense of urgency from game to game would lessen because there are so many. It's nuts. Goodell is nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes