PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do YOU want 17 or 18 regular season games?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How many games should an NFL season have?

• 16 regular-season, four preseason

Votes: 41 19.0%
  • 16 regular-season, two or three preseason

Votes: 83 38.4%
  • 17 regular-season, three preseason

Votes: 27 12.5%
  • 18 regular-season, two preseason

Votes: 65 30.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
keep it the way it is now or add another bye week. to make the season 18 weeks long . Bye weeks for groups of 8 teams, first 4 and last 4 weeks no byes and the middle two weeks of the season. Every year your group moves up or down one week. The league now gets 18 weeks of TV Revenue, Players have more time to heal, tweak their playbook etc. Plus this will expose fans to more non home team games.

Great Idea. Actually, I love it.

And on a minor note, it creates another game in fantasy football.

I love the recurring theme in the pro 18 game posts. Screw the players, I want to watch more football from my couch. Injuries, sminjuries, part of the game... Starting players will expect/require a 12-15% increase in compensation seeing as their careers will be 12-15% shorter on average. Maybe if you want to walk away (literally being able to walk) you will leave after 8 seasons rather than 10... Fringe players will take it in the shorts as they always do with fewer oportunities to catch on or hang on and those who do will become insufficiently compensated cannon fodder... The market for designer PED's will get a much needed boost, and post career disability claims and addictions should skyrocket.

This should cut another entire season off the back end Brady's career, too. :woohoo: :bricks:

It's often said the owners and union don't give a rats ass about rank and file players in this league. Neither do at least half of the fans.

EXACTLY!!!

Are there any comments from players about this proposal? I wonder how a vote of all the players who were on a roster last year would turn out?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Sure, having 4 preseason games is probably overkill, but if the alternative is to add some of those games to the regular season, then I am against it.

I already don't like the fact that they switched from 14 to 16 games because it screwed up stat/record keeping and set a bad precident.

When will the "maike it longer" fans be adequately satisfied? 18 games? 20? 22? ... or when the NFL is completely ruined?

We know the owners/NFL executives will never be satisfied. There aren't enough dollars in the world to satisfy them.

This idea has its roots in selfishness and corporate greed, not love of the game.

i am divided between option n.2 and n.3

I love the recurring theme in the pro 18 game posts. Screw the players, I want to watch more football from my couch. Injuries, sminjuries, part of the game... Starting players will expect/require a 12-15% increase in compensation seeing as their careers will be 12-15% shorter on average. Maybe if you want to walk away (literally being able to walk) you will leave after 8 seasons rather than 10... Fringe players will take it in the shorts as they always do with fewer oportunities to catch on or hang on and those who do will become insufficiently compensated cannon fodder... The market for designer PED's will get a much needed boost, and post career disability claims and addictions should skyrocket.

This should cut another entire season off the back end Brady's career, too. :woohoo: :bricks:

It's often said the owners and union don't give a rats ass about rank and file players in this league. Neither do at least half of the fans.

Oh boo hoo. These guys are getting paid millions and millions of dollars to entertain us. What is the league minimum now, $300k?? If you want to complain about something go ***** about college football. Those guys go out and play just as hard as the pro's do and don't get one red cent for it.

Heck how many of you are making what the lowest paid football player on an nfl team is making right now?

I don't begrudge them their money at all, it is what they are worth as football players. At the same time, I certainly wouldn't feel bad for them if they had to play an extra game or two.

I voted for 17 games, I didn't think it through very completely. An odd number of games would mess up home field advantage pretty thoroughly - so you'd be forced into having 18 games to realistically do this properly. I appreciate that you can expect diminishing returns with respect to player health and maybe game quality when you pile on the extra workload.

My main thoughts when voting for an extra game was about the season ticket holders who pay full price for 2 preseason games where their favorite players, the guys they pay the ticket cost during the regular season to see, play 2 series and then are benched. When I view the situation through that lens, my take is heck yeah I'd rather be watching week 1 of the season instead of 3rd string guys competing for practice squad slots.

Last edited:
I don't think you will see any possible scenario in which there would be fewer than 10 home games per team. Teams currently sell season tickets on a 10 game basis. The two preseason games bring in average of $22 million per team for the teams that have strong season ticket sales, so any proposal that involves fewer than 20 total games just won't happen. No way any owners are going to go backwards to anything fewer than 10 games every year.

Last edited:
Oh boo hoo. These guys are getting paid millions and millions of dollars to entertain us. What is the league minimum now, $300k?? If you want to complain about something go ***** about college football. Those guys go out and play just as hard as the pro's do and don't get one red cent for it.

Heck how many of you are making what the lowest paid football player on an nfl team is making right now?

I don't begrudge them their money at all, it is what they are worth as football players. At the same time, I certainly wouldn't feel bad for them if they had to play an extra game or two.

Why is it that people always bring up salaries whenever discussions like this occur? The amount of money a player makes is separate and distinct from the physical beating he'll take playing 2 more regular season games.

Also, college players do get compensated. They get scholarships, room, board, books, etc...

Why is it that people always bring up salaries whenever discussions like this occur? The amount of money a player makes is separate and distinct from the physical beating he'll take playing 2 more regular season games.

Also, college players do get compensated. They get scholarships, room, board, books, etc...

People bring up salaries because these men are paid astoundingly well to do a job. It is in no way separate and distinct from the physical beating they will take, it is exactly what they are getting paid for.

Steve D. on WEEI just stated he was pretty sure the players would agree to play two more games, but only if they were paid more. Hmmm seems even the players bring up salaries.

College players getting compensated? division 1 players do, division 3 players don't.

From your logic we should root the patriots to miss the playoffs, they might get a booboo playing in those darn extra playoff games.

Last edited:
People bring up salaries because these men are paid astoundingly well to do a job. It is in no way separate and distinct from the physical beating they will take, it is exactly what they are getting paid for.

Steve D. on WEEI just stated he was pretty sure the players would agree to play two more games, but only if they were paid more. Hmmm seems even the players bring up salaries.

College players getting compensated? division 1 players do, division 3 players don't.

From your logic we should root the patriots to miss the playoffs, they might get a booboo playing in those darn extra playoff games.

The players would get paid big money even if it was flag football, as long as the audience was there. baseball players make millions and there's almost no contact among the players. The amount of money made is a separate issue from the beatings taken.

As for your playoffs argument, it's actually one of the reasons that going to 18 games is a terrible idea. Instead of having 16 regular season games for Tom Brady and Peyton Manning to have their knees blown out before they reach the playoffs, you'll now have 18.

Regarding the players taking more money for more games, it doesn't surprise me. The majority of players have short careers, so it's not surprising that they'd like to toss extra games in their given how little they get paid for the exhibition games. That doesn't mean that adding the games are the right thing to do. You're talking about a league that now doesn't allow contact at a lot of the OTAs, and that limits the number of two-a-days but, somehow, adding more games that count to the schedule is supposed to be a good idea?

For one thing, many grueling two-a-day sessions are now being tempered, a product of constant so-called "voluntary" offseason workouts, and the wear and tear on players. Another factor: the death in 2001 from heat stroke of Minnesota offensive lineman Korey Stringer, a tragedy that drove home what can happen when huge men work out in pads in temperatures close to 100 degrees.

Now teams limit two-a-day workouts, often alternating them with light single workouts.

SI.com - NFL Preview - Training camps open with intriguing storylines - Friday July 21, 2006 7:39PM

No, thanks. As Americans, it's time we remembered that sometimes "good enough" is, indeed, good enough.

Last edited:
16 regular season, 2 pre-season is perfect. Also, start the season later.

However they will never just eliminate two games, so that will never happen.

16 regular season, 2 pre-season is perfect. Also, start the season later.

I agree 1,000 percent. It amazes me to remember they used to play six preseason games and 14 regular-season games.

You are 100% correct. There are already too many injuries so this is a bad idea.

The fans want quality - not quantity. The owners might want more regular season games for more revenue (even though they get $$ for pre-season games it's not the same type of revenue).

The TV revenue alone would make this a big boon for the owners... but I suspect the real agenda here is posturing for the CBA negotiations... i.e. if the players want more money it will be tied to playing more - and they might not go for that, making it a bargaining chip.

I still haven't seen one person say why 16 games is perfect, what makes that better than 18? Nothing it's just an arbitrary number we are used to. It might make the chance of injury go up slightly, but if that is what you are worried about go to 12 games.

I watch football, more specifically, I watch the patriots. I really enjoy watching the Patriots play football. I would rather watch them play 18 games that matter than I would watch them play 16 games. I enjoy watching them play in the playoffs because it gives me however many more games to watch them.

I certainly hope that no one gets injured, but that is the risk that they take whenever they go out there to play. It is the same risk that college, high school, and pop warner players take every time they go out to play. That is part of what makes football the game it is. The risk that those players take whenever they put on their helmets.

Now I understand that at some point the game may suffer because there is only so much that these players can take, and there probably is some point at which the quality of the game will diminish. Yet I fail to see how doing away with two meaningless preseason games, and replacing them with two games that count will diminish the quality of the season at all.

The fans want quality - not quantity. The owners might want more regular season games for more revenue (even though they get $$ for pre-season games it's not the same type of revenue).

I disagree I want both, and I fail to see how the extra two games will diminish the quality at all.

I voted for 18 because playoffs games and a SB played by walking wounded, back ups and scrubs will be very exciting! Good idea, Goodall......

The commissioner brought up the idea of a "developmental league?" What does anyone think of that in conjunction with the added regular season games? That is where the younger players would get the experience that preseason gives.

I'm not really a big fan of adding more games. The entire basis is on advertising revenue.

He mentioned that it was for the fans in the sense that the fans want to see the regular starters play more. I would rather see them play and the end of the season, than the beginning.

Plus, a real fan wants to see the younger players play. They want to see what the rookies have, and who the future of their team is.

My humble opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
No way Jose....

I still haven't seen one person say why 16 games is perfect, what makes that better than 18? Nothing it's just an arbitrary number we are used to. It might make the chance of injury go up slightly, but if that is what you are worried about go to 12 games.

I watch football, more specifically, I watch the patriots. I really enjoy watching the Patriots play football. I would rather watch them play 18 games that matter than I would watch them play 16 games. I enjoy watching them play in the playoffs because it gives me however many more games to watch them.

I certainly hope that no one gets injured, but that is the risk that they take whenever they go out there to play. It is the same risk that college, high school, and pop warner players take every time they go out to play. That is part of what makes football the game it is. The risk that those players take whenever they put on their helmets.

Now I understand that at some point the game may suffer because there is only so much that these players can take, and there probably is some point at which the quality of the game will diminish. Yet I fail to see how doing away with two meaningless preseason games, and replacing them with two games that count will diminish the quality of the season at all.

I really don't feal that pre-season games are completely meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back