PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Digger's WR trade speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, sorry for being so harsh in my tone. I just wanted to say that some of those players really don't make much sense that they will be avalaible.

My list was just players who are more likely to be available. The reason why Burress is not going to be a Giant next year is the exact reason I don't want him to be a Patriot. Darrell Jackson scares me too with his injury history and the price tag he is going to want. They are just far more likely to be available than Boldin or Driver.

By the way, sorry for being so harsh in my tone. I just wanted to say that some of those players really don't make much sense that they will be avalaible.

My list was just players who are more likely to be available. The reason why Burress is not going to be a Giant next year is the exact reason I don't want him to be a Patriot. Darrell Jackson scares me too with his injury history and the price tag he is going to want. They are just far more likely to be available than Boldin or Driver.

No prob, but next time it is ok to read the term "speculation." There is no guarantee that Welker will be a 1st rounder. It is damned if you do damned if you don't for Miami. If they tender him as a #1 they now have a potential monster on their hands. I understand your theory, but a #1 tender hurts Miami as well because they would need to retain him. I can see Miami tendering Welker as a #2. That way he is easier to extend if they keep him, and they could gain a #2 and not lose much if he signs elsewhere.

No prob, but next time it is ok to read the term "speculation." There is no guarantee that Welker will be a 1st rounder. It is damned if you do damned if you don't for Miami. If they tender him as a #1 they now have a potential monster on their hands. I understand your theory, but a #1 tender hurts Miami as well because they would need to retain him. I can see Miami tendering Welker as a #2. That way he is easier to extend if they keep him, and they could gain a #2 and not lose much if he signs elsewhere.

We did it with Givens, Ashworth, Jarvis Green, and Stephen Neal one year where we gave them all tenders for first round contract. The question is are the RFA tenders going to catch up to the increased cap? If not, even the maximum tender would be a bargain for a guy like Welker.

Here is a list of WR that may be available for the right price. This is pure speculation, but I believe we need to do something for Brady in the WR department next season.

Anquan Boldin – AZ has so many holes to fill that sometimes you must give up a hot position so that the team can be balanced. If AZ gave up Boldin they would still have a solid WR group and could upgrade their OL or DL. I dunno, maybe throw Jarvis green into a package and Boldin may come pretty easy.

Joe Horn – The Saints have proven that they no longer need Horn. The have a load of young WR talent and a QB who knows how to use them. Horn is older and has some injury questions this year, but I feel he has some great stuff left. He would be an awesome possession WR for Brady.

Donald Driver – With the Favre era coming to an end the whole team needs a revamp. They have had some success as of late, but this team is going nowhere. There are to many holes to fill and Jennings has emerged as a solid threat. If Favre quits, Rogers will take time to develop so why not trade Driver so the team can get younger and grow together?

Randy Moss – You know this argument is coming.

Jerry Porter – See above.

Rod Smith – Smith is old, but still solid. Walker makes him obsolete and so does Cutler. He has 1-2 good seasons left and can make up for his speed with his wisdom. He is very different than Troy Brown in that he still has gas left, well at least a year.

Wes Welker – Not a #1 guy right now, but what a great KR and WR combo. He is better than Dante Hall in that he is a valid WR option. He is a RFA. If Miami wants him back let’s make them break the bank for him. We can afford it.

Boldin - would love it..they can put Johnson as a starter and be fine..id give a 1st

Horn - nearly 700 yards and 4 TDs through 4 games and they dont need ihm? ask a Saints fan..hes helped tremendously and hes helped Colston and hes a leader on the team..doubt they trade him..hes old anyways

Driver - id love him...BB spoke very highly of him and doubled him..they have young blood in Jennings and hes still pretty productive..hes not going anywhere..hes happy and they are too with him. they already traded Walker..not gonna make another mistake

Moss - Porter - forget it..Porter is now injured..Moss i dont wanna deal with if he somehow becomes unsatisfied.

Smith - why waste picks or players..hes a great guy and player but lets stay younger

Welker - if anyone leaves from Miami its Chambers..hes the weakest link out of the 3(him, booker and welker)..hes had his drops..he doesnt run great routes..hes just an acrobatic deep threat really .. Welker is a productive guy..Miami loves him and they want him starting over Chambers

We've got the future in Jackson - we need a "now" WR going into next season. So depending on who is available in free agency and who is available via trade, we're going to do SOMETHING to upgrade this WR corps.

It's so obvious, we're not even speculating...:)

BB put the best offer on the table for Derrick Mason two years ago - and that was when we had Branch and Givens signed - so there's no question he's an interested buyer... it just takes two to tango.
Very true. And perhaps in anticipation of a Branch/Givens departure, he attempted to trade up in R1 to draft WR Mark Clayton.

At this time, one would think BB would go the proven WR route. I'll guess he'll also draft one -- just not in round one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes