PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Digger's WR trade speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
it is bonus money for players involved that are of question. also the rumors are Fitzy going home to Minny and Boldin staying

Besides Boldin, nobody on the list warrants two #1's. Trading up into the top 10 shouldn't be too difficult if we have 2 top 25 picks. I'm sure a team like Green Bay would love 2 top 25 picks to rebuild over a top 10 pick. Chad Jackson is no Calvin Johnson. Everybody who knows about Johnson claims they would have to dig very deep to find a fault in Johnson, his character, his work ethic, are way above the usual athlete. Plus, add great hands, a 4.35 40, and a ridiculous vertical jump, this guy will be a star for whoever opicks him, and immediatly IMO.

No doubt the dude is a freak, but I would be against trading our #1s to get him. We need to revamp our 2ndary and LBs. I am not confident we can land Asante. We would need a few CBs in the draft. I wouldn't mind seeing 2 in the 1st round even.

Moss will be available and probably will not cost a lot in picks - not even a #1 at this point with his diminishing health and production in recent years.

He is the only trade option I see changing our WR corp in any significant way.

Is it me or most of you guys do not know what a RFA is when it comes to Welker. I never said that we could deal for Welker. I said he is a RFA, and that we should pursue him.

Boldin is not a huge joke at all. I believe the right prices could bring a guy like him in. A package like Green, a #1, and a conditional could be reasonable. Take your rude fan-boy comment and and find another tree to pee on.

If there was some fluke occurance that allowed Boldin to enter the 2007 draft, where do you think he would go? I find it hard to believe that he would fall out of the top 5. Now, even if NE or Seattle collapse down the stretch, the pick in question will likely be greater than 20. Do you really think that a team with a top 5 pick would trade if for a #24, Jarvis Green and a conditional pick? I sure don't.

If there was some fluke occurance that allowed Boldin to enter the 2007 draft, where do you think he would go? I find it hard to believe that he would fall out of the top 5. Now, even if NE or Seattle collapse down the stretch, the pick in question will likely be greater than 20. Do you really think that a team with a top 5 pick would trade if for a #24, Jarvis Green and a conditional pick? I sure don't.

That's fine if you don't. The rumors are flying out of AZ about Boldin and Fitz. Hey the hired Denny Green and have kept him all season. Anything is possible.

That's fine if you don't. The rumors are flying out of AZ about Boldin and Fitz. Hey the hired Denny Green and have kept him all season. Anything is possible.

I have not heard anything about Fitz and Boldin. Can you provide a link?

(Not a challenge, just a request for info)

Half of those receivers are closing in on retirement. Boldin in New England? LOL. As if Arizona would allow that to happen. Moss is a possibility.

I have not heard anything about Fitz and Boldin. Can you provide a link?

(Not a challenge, just a request for info)

I was watching the NFL network, sorry no net link as of yet. I will try to find one.

http://cardinals.scout.com/2/597822.html fitz to Jags, looking for a couple other I saw

Here is a list of WR that may be available for the right price. This is pure speculation, but I believe we need to do something for Brady in the WR department next season.

Anquan Boldin – AZ has so many holes to fill that sometimes you must give up a hot position so that the team can be balanced. If AZ gave up Boldin they would still have a solid WR group and could upgrade their OL or DL. I dunno, maybe throw Jarvis green into a package and Boldin may come pretty easy.

Joe Horn – The Saints have proven that they no longer need Horn. The have a load of young WR talent and a QB who knows how to use them. Horn is older and has some injury questions this year, but I feel he has some great stuff left. He would be an awesome possession WR for Brady.

Donald Driver – With the Favre era coming to an end the whole team needs a revamp. They have had some success as of late, but this team is going nowhere. There are to many holes to fill and Jennings has emerged as a solid threat. If Favre quits, Rogers will take time to develop so why not trade Driver so the team can get younger and grow together?

Randy Moss – You know this argument is coming.

Jerry Porter – See above.

Rod Smith – Smith is old, but still solid. Walker makes him obsolete and so does Cutler. He has 1-2 good seasons left and can make up for his speed with his wisdom. He is very different than Troy Brown in that he still has gas left, well at least a year.

Wes Welker – Not a #1 guy right now, but what a great KR and WR combo. He is better than Dante Hall in that he is a valid WR option. He is a RFA. If Miami wants him back let’s make them break the bank for him. We can afford it.

I don't see Boldin, Welker, or Driver being available. The Cards are building their team around Leinhart. No way do they take away a valuable weapon from him.

Driver is one of the few very good players on the Packers. They are going to use him as a core to build around. I don't see them trading him especially since he signed a four year, $17 million contract extension this past offseason. He is a top level receiver at a very reasonable price. Why would the Packers trade him unless someone offered them something ridiculous like than two first rounders? The guy is fourth in the league in receiving yards. Why would the Packers trade him?

Welker is a break out player. The first round tender option is a little over $1 million. Why would the Dolphins not offer him a tender that at least gets them a first round pick in compensation. I don't see us or anyone giving up a first rounder for Welker. We would have traded Deion Branch for Welker.

As for Horn and Smith, both are too old and declining in talent. Horn comes with an expensive price tag too. I am concerned about Porter's and Moss' attitude.

The WRs I would want are Drew Bennett (the guy did have 1200 plus yards in 2004 and should come as a bargain) and Kevin Curtis (the guy busted out under Martz, but took a step back under Leinahan and his vertical offense). Both those guys are quality WRs who won't come with huge price tags.

Half of those receivers are closing in on retirement. Boldin in New England? LOL. As if Arizona would allow that to happen. Moss is a possibility.

That is not true at all. Horn and Smith are the closest. Smith has about 2 years and horn 3-4. Are you suggesting we have better WR signed as of now? What is your plan to get a functional WR group next season? Don't tell me the draft because that isn't instant production.

The WRs I would want are Drew Bennett (the guy did have 1200 plus yards in 2004 and should come as a bargain) and Kevin Curtis (the guy busted out under Martz, but took a step back under Leinahan and his vertical offense). Both those guys are quality WRs who won't come with huge price tags.

These guys are no better than who we already have. There is nothing wrong with age and wisdom in Smith and Horn. They would be an upgrade over what we have now.

That is not true at all. Horn and Smith are the closest. Smith has about 2 years and horn 3-4. Are you suggesting we have better WR signed as of now? What is your plan to get a functional WR group next season? Don't tell me the draft because that isn't instant production.

Horn will be 35 in January, and Smith's better days are past him. I think Porter or Moss are strong possibilities (more likely Porter). I don't see Boldin or Holt leaving their current teams. A lot will depend on who gets released during the offseason.

Horn will be 35 in January, and Smith's better days are past him. I think Porter or Moss are strong possibilities (more likely Porter). I don't see Boldin or Holt leaving their current teams. A lot will depend on who gets released during the offseason.

I didn't mention Holt at all. No matter what age Horn or Smith are, they are better than who we have.

These guys are no better than who we already have. There is nothing wrong with age and wisdom in Smith and Horn. They would be an upgrade over what we have now.

Other than Troy Brown, what other current Patriots receiver ever have 1,200 plus yards like Bennett? Kevin Curtis had over 800 yards last year as the #3 WR for the Rams last year. None of the current WRs on the roster other than Brown has had 800 yards in a season other than Gaffney.

I want to deal in reality. Driver, Boldin, and Welker are not going to be available.

Rod Smith is going to be 37 next year and is clearly slowing down. I think he will probably either stay with the Broncos even if it is at the veteran minimum or retire at this point. I can't see him starting with a new team at 37 after spending his entire career in Denver.

Joe Horn signed a six year, $42 million contract extension before the 2005 season. I don't know if the Saints can even move him.

Bennett and Curtis are the best of WR free agents. Several veteran WRs could be cut after this season including Eric Moulds, Keyshawn Johnson, Marvin Harrison (it isn't as crazy as it sounds since Wayne is becoming the primary WR and Harrison's contract is hindering their ability to build a defense), Darrell Jackson (he wants more money than Branch and is injury prone eventhough he is a great WR), Plaxico Burress, David Patten, and a few others. Some young, but upcoming WRs might be available for trade like Bryant Johnson who is playing behind Fitzgerald and Boldin.

I just don't think anyone on your list will actually be available to us. Rod Smith might, but he is basically winding down his career. I wouldn't too excited if he was our biggest acquisition for our WR corp.

I think both Bennett and Curtis are players who can thrive in our offense. They both have the potential of being over 1,000 yard players and will come at the Patriots' prices. It is fun to talk all these big names, but these are the type of guys the Pats usually go after, not the big priced big name guys.

Is it me or most of you guys do not know what a RFA is when it comes to Welker. I never said that we could deal for Welker. I said he is a RFA, and that we should pursue him.

Boldin is not a huge joke at all. I believe the right prices could bring a guy like him in. A package like Green, a #1, and a conditional could be reasonable. Take your rude fan-boy comment and and find another tree to pee on.

Bravo. Couldn't agree more, especially your last sentence.

No chance the Cards give up Boldin, especially if Martz becomes head coach. That want leinart surrounded by talent, and will improve the D and O line through the draft. Driver isnt going anywhere, hes one of the best WR in the NFL and they need all the weapons they can get. No way Belichick would trade a DT and a high pick for a friggin reciever, come on now.

I think your trade speculation for a WR is correct. There is no number 1 WR on the team for next year. We may draft a WR, but not to impact the team (see Chad). We might pick one up, again, not as our #1 ( see Gabriel). Does anyone think we go through next year with this years results with our receiver corps? So, that means we trade for a known quantity, or sign one through free agency. The Patriots tried acquiring a # one with Mason and Walker, so there is some history. Keenan McCardell (FA) is interesting, but he's not a #1. I would speculate we may use one of our first picks in a trade for a WR. The question then, is who will it be. This may go down to training camp when you have a disgruntled player not in camp because of a hold-out. That would keep the posts going during those dog days of summer.

Other than Troy Brown, what other current Patriots receiver ever have 1,200 plus yards like Bennett? Kevin Curtis had over 800 yards last year as the #3 WR for the Rams last year. None of the current WRs on the roster other than Brown has had 800 yards in a season other than Gaffney.

I want to deal in reality. Driver, Boldin, and Welker are not going to be available.

Rod Smith is going to be 37 next year and is clearly slowing down. I think he will probably either stay with the Broncos even if it is at the veteran minimum or retire at this point. I can't see him starting with a new team at 37 after spending his entire career in Denver.

Joe Horn signed a six year, $42 million contract extension before the 2005 season. I don't know if the Saints can even move him.

Bennett and Curtis are the best of WR free agents. Several veteran WRs could be cut after this season including Eric Moulds, Keyshawn Johnson, Marvin Harrison (it isn't as crazy as it sounds since Wayne is becoming the primary WR and Harrison's contract is hindering their ability to build a defense), Darrell Jackson (he wants more money than Branch and is injury prone eventhough he is a great WR), Plaxico Burress, David Patten, and a few others. Some young, but upcoming WRs might be available for trade like Bryant Johnson who is playing behind Fitzgerald and Boldin.

I just don't think anyone on your list will actually be available to us. Rod Smith might, but he is basically winding down his career. I wouldn't too excited if he was our biggest acquisition for our WR corp.

I think both Bennett and Curtis are players who can thrive in our offense. They both have the potential of being over 1,000 yard players and will come at the Patriots' prices. It is fun to talk all these big names, but these are the type of guys the Pats usually go after, not the big priced big name guys.

Well I am glad you wish to deal in reality, maybe you now need to actually live in reality. Reality says that Welker is available. Reality says that he is a RFA. Do you comprehend that a RFA is available. Now the Phins may fight to keep him, but why not make that fight very tough and try to make them have a cap problem over it.

I do find it extremely humorous that you critcise my list and then propose Marvin Harrison, Jackson, and Burress. Give me a break. If you don't like my list, no big deal, but don't slam me then put up something 10x worse.

Since when is a WR total yards for 1 season a gage of how he will do here? how many 1000+ yards did Branch have? Oh, none. My bad.

Well I am glad you wish to deal in reality, maybe you now need to actually live in reality. Reality says that Welker is available. Reality says that he is a RFA. Do you comprehend that a RFA is available. Now the Phins may fight to keep him, but why not make that fight very tough and try to make them have a cap problem over it.

I do find it extremely humorous that you critcise my list and then propose Marvin Harrison, Jackson, and Burress. Give me a break. If you don't like my list, no big deal, but don't slam me then put up something 10x worse.

Since when is a WR total yards for 1 season a gage of how he will do here? how many 1000+ yards did Branch have? Oh, none. My bad.

All Harrison, Jackson, and Burress have all been mentioned as potential cap casualties this year. The Seahawks don't want to pay Jackson and he is probably going to pull a Branch move (he already put on his shoes that he wasnt DB money). He is entering the bigger portion of his contract. Plaxico Burress has worn out his welcome in New York and will most likely be cut because he and Manning do not get along and not playing up to his contract. Burress is almost guaranteed to be cut. Harrison is the least likely of my list, but at his age, the fact he is getting replaced as Manning's primary WR, the Colts' need to rebuild their defense, and the Colts cap situation; he is a realistic cap casualty.

Welker is a RFA, but he is definitely going to get a tender offer that will net the Dolphins a first round pick. So yes, he could be a Patriot, but we would give the Dolphins a first round pick for him. Do you see Belichick and Pioli trading a first rounder for Welker? If we offer Welker too rich of a contract, the Dolphins may gladly take the first rounder for him. How is that making their life difficult.

My list is better just because there has been realistic rumors that these players are going to be available. Drive signed a four year contract extension less than a year ago. Boldin got also got a contract extension this summer that signs him through 2010. Neither of those players are going anywhere. You don't give players big contract extensions and trade them the next year especially when they are having good years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back