PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeVante Parker reached an agreement on a 3-year new contract worth up to $33M

$5 a year for Parker does not seem like an overpay to me. I think Hopkins is looking for $10 to $11M?

A Bourne like contract is perfect.

This was originally reported as $33 with 14 guaranteed. That didn't sound like $5 a year.

We'll see the details.

A Bourne like contract is perfect.

This was originally reported as $33 with 14 guaranteed. That didn't sound like $5 a year.

We'll see the details.

3 years with $14M guaranteed = $4.7M per year. Maybe $0.5M to $1.5M in incentives per year = $5.2M to $6.2M per year. The $33M cited by the agent is always BS.

3 years with $14M guaranteed = $4.7M per year. Maybe $0.5M to $1.5M in incentives per year = $5.2M to $6.2M per year. The $33M cited by the agent is always BS.

I take the guaranteed money as meaning if they cut him today, and some money is earned by year.

So, for example, after this year $18 total guaranteed because the first year just earned him $4 not being cut, which he won't be.

How much will he earn just being on the team two years without incentives is the guaranteed contract because it will be a difficult cap hit before.

Last edited:
I take the guaranteed money as meaning if they cut him today, and some money is earned by year.

So, for example, after this year $18 total guaranteed because the first year just earned him $4 not being cut, which he won't be.

How much will he earn just being on the team two years without incentives is the guaranteed contract because it will be a difficult cap hit before.

If $14M is guaranteed for 3 years and he makes $4M in year 1, then $10M of the guarantee is left for years 2 and 3, or $5M average for years 2 and 3.

Not sure where $18M guaranteed came from. Once the contract is signed, the guarantee can not increase unless another contract is signed.

If $14M is guaranteed for 3 years and he makes $4M in year 1, then $10M of the guarantee is left for years 2 and 3, or $5M average for years 2 and 3.

Not sure where $18M guaranteed came from. Once the contract is signed, the guarantee can not increase unless another contract is signed.

That's not how it necessarily works.

Let's see what Parker will earn if he just remains on the team two years and does all the workouts, while just showing up.

Did he get a signing bonus? We don't know how the contract is structured.

All I can say is - I miss Meyers.
No one is talking about JSS. No one cares. He's not a unique threat.
The same money could have gone to Meyers, and we'd have the same situation but better health and chemistry with Mac.

Truth is - DHop, Parker, JSS - are all similar guys at this point. No one is fast or a quick-separation guy.
They're veterans with good hands, that will require scheme and precise timing to really work well.
Most of Mac's early season INT's came from tossing jump balls to Parker.
I don't want to see the same thing with these 2 or 3.

The same money could have gone to Meyers, and we'd have the same situation but better health and chemistry with Mac.

Truth is - DHop, Parker, JSS - are all similar guys at this point. No one is fast or a quick-separation guy.
They're veterans with good hands, that will require scheme and precise timing to really work well.
Meyers maxed out his potential and got a good contract for it. I always saw him as a weakness on the field. Dude was not running past or over any defensive back. Those plays ran 2 to 3 yds short of the line to gain drove me bonkers.
I expect Meyers to be above average in Vegas he has Adams on the other side.

$14 million guaranteed but I don't see much in the way of "fully guaranteed" - $4.6m in signing bonus and $4.5m in total salary guarantees for this year and next.

I have to remember that I can't fairly judge last year due to obvious reasons even though DP had just ONE TD going into the final game of the season. DP getting 2 TDs against the Bills is a positive going into this upcoming season. If BOB and TB80 think he's worth the extension, who T F am I to question that?

Meyers maxed out his potential and got a good contract for it. I always saw him as a weakness on the field. Dude was not running past or over any defensive back. Those plays ran 2 to 3 yds short of the line to gain drove me bonkers.
I expect Meyers to be above average in Vegas he has Adams on the other side.
Dude... Jakobi was tied for 9th on 1st down catches on 3rd down last year even with the missed time due to injury. Who was better? JJeff, ACoop, AStBrown, Kelce, DAdams, COlave, Tyreek, and CLamb. While I agree with you in spirit, he got the job done for what he's good at, which is moving the sticks.

$14 million guaranteed but I don't see much in the way of "fully guaranteed" - $4.6m in signing bonus and $4.5m in total salary guarantees for this year and next.

This math doesn’t make any sense. The guarantees don’t add up.

This math doesn’t make any sense. The guarantees don’t add up.

My guess is if he lasts two years with easy bonuses he controls, it's something like 2 years $18 plus incentives he likely won't reach, and the 3rd year income is low with a reasonable cap to cut.

So if Parker has been good, they will make him play a third year cheap.

Did this team get better after this signing?

Not true. The contracts are not the same and are structured very, very differently.

I don't see it.

Bill doesn't and you shouldn’t either. Rumor was Bill didn’t even bother to offer him a contract and immediately signed Schuster instead prompting the “cold world” tweet. Pats need more explosive plays and Meyers couldn’t provide that.
No one is talking about JSS. No one cares.
He may be talked about soon as Phil Perry fears Schuster could miss time to start camp.
He's not a unique threat.
Neither was Meyers.

This was the biggest question I had about last year with their use of Parker. You love to have a receiver who can consistently win 50-50 balls, but why in the hell would you design an offense where plays are passes are supposed to be in tight coverage and the receiver winning 50-50 balls. That was literally the plan. Mac Jones talked about several times. It just seems dumb that you design plays to throw to the covered guy and hope he wins the battle for the ball. When a QB throws a 50-50 ball, it is typically to a receiver that was supposed to get open, but didn't and the QB just trusts him to get the ball and tries to throw it to the best spot possible for him to win the ball.

Parker is a great 50-50 ball catcher, but they shouldn't be designing play after play for him to catch 50-50 balls.

Are 50/50 balls really 50/50? Serious question. Highly doubt it. You have guys who assessed to WR because he can catch, going against a DB whom a lot of times was transitioned to a defensive back from a receiver role, mainly because they aren’t as good at catching a ball. That doesn’t even factor in the league rules that greatly favor WR’s in those situations. Also not taking into consideration the PI yards they accumulate. Just my observation.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back