PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeVante Parker reached an agreement on a 3-year new contract worth up to $33M

Like I said before, this deal only makes sense if you are clearing the cap space to sign a stud #1 WR like Hopkins.

Instead the Patriots are doing NOTHING with that money and are sitting on 17m+ in cap space.

What an awful free agency period this has been!!

Like I said before, this deal only makes sense if you are clearing the cap space to sign a stud #1 WR like Hopkins.

Instead the Patriots are doing NOTHING with that money and are sitting on 17m+ in cap space.

The cap space rolls over to next year. It is not like the Pats lose it. Let's see what happens, and then ***** and moan if we don't make the playoffs in 2023. Hint: we are not winning the SB this year, so Hopkins and spending cap space are really not that important right now. Let's see if the 1st to 4th year players on rookie contracts can surprise and get us to the playoffs. If so, then we can bolster the team with the cap space going forward.

The cap space rolls over to next year. It is not like the Pats lose it. Let's see what happens, and then ***** and moan if we don't make the playoffs in 2023. Hint: we are not winning the SB this year, so Hopkins and spending cap space are really not that important right now. Let's see if the 1st to 4th year players on rookie contracts can surprise and get us to the playoffs. If so, then we can bolster the team with the cap space going forward.
What is important is surrounding your young QB who showed promise with some actual talent. Besides his rookie year only thing Bill has done since then is give Mac an actual OC. Bill has thrown crap at the wall at T to see if anything sticks, scrubs at WR and oh yeah made his DC buddy an OC which set Mac back. But no please preach to the rest of us how losing out on Hopkins was no biggy.

What is important is surrounding your young QB who showed promise with some actual talent. Besides his rookie year only thing Bill has done since then is give Mac an actual OC. Bill has thrown crap at the wall at T to see if anything sticks, scrubs at WR and oh yeah made his DC buddy an OC which set Mac back. But no please preach to the rest of us how losing out on Hopkins was no biggy.

Never said it was no biggie, I said we do not lose the cap space and can spend it next year on another player. Read my post.

If you want to hold Mac's wee wee because he can not succeed without "weapons", please proceed. Mahomes won a SB with JJSS but Mac needs a lot more (a #1), while you hold his wee wee, in order to win a post season playoff game. Mac has plenty to shine in Y3. Hopkins would have been nice but we can still survive and win a playoff game if Mac is any good.

Never said it was no biggie, I said we do not lose the cap space and can spend it next year on another player. Read my post.

If you want to hold Mac's wee wee because he can not succeed without "weapons", please proceed. Mahomes won a SB with JJSS but Mac needs a lot more (a #1), while you hold his wee wee, in order to win a post season playoff game. Mac has plenty to shine in Y3. Hopkins would have been nice but we can still survive and win a playoff game if Mac is any good.
God forbid Mac needing more help than Mahomes.

God forbid Mac needing more help than Mahomes.

Mac only has to win a playoff game with JJSS. Mahomes won a SB with JJSS. Slight difference. If Mac can't win a playoff game, that says a lot. We don't need Hopkins to figure that out. With or without Hopkins, winning a SB this year is a HUGE stretch.

Like the way we weren't supposed to complain when we saw the impending train wreck of choosing to name Matt Patricia the OC when he had zero experience in that role and to name a career ST coach in Joe Judge to be the QB whisperer for Mac Jones? Like the way we weren't supposed to notice the Patriots were dogshit in preseason, veterans were openly voicing doubts and complaints about the offense, and it never got any better as the season progressed?

We'll be LUCKY if Mac10 wasn't RUINED by those coaches! I'll continue to point out where the Patriots are deficient and reserve the right to exercise my brain, thank you.

The good news is that although this was an awful free agent period there's still lots of time to pick up other teams' castoffs as the training camp process continues. This is where BB tends to pick up some bargain values - by rummaging through other teams' trash.

But as of TODAY, there's still HUGE question marks with our offense. There isn't a single wideout on our roster who makes defensive coordinators lose any sleep or actually need to scheme to stop.

Let's be realistic about our expectations for Mac10. He had a promising rookie season, followed by a dog turd of a sophmore season, and he wasn't highly rated by draft evaluators at the start of his career. Now he's starting with a brand new offensive coordinator in BOB.

The hope is that Mac can grow and can bounce back to a level closer to his rookie season but I don't expect him to be the type of QB to "elevate" his offense and make lesser players better. Based on Mac Jones success in Alabama it feels more likely that Mac Jones is the type of QB who needs to be propped up by superior WR talent. But the Patriots haven't given him any superior weapons. BB hasn't invested heavily in the offense this offseason and in the end you usually get what you pay for.

Mac only has to win a playoff game with JJSS. Mahomes won a SB with JJSS. Slight difference. If Mac can't win a playoff game, that says a lot. We don't need Hopkins to figure that out. With or without Hopkins, winning a SB this year is a HUGE stretch.
They weren’t winning a SB with or without Hop this year. I wanted Hop to compete for the division, to maximize Macs potential to see what he looks like with an actual WR 1. Guess I’m asking for too much

They weren’t winning a SB with or without Hop this year. I wanted Hop to compete for the division, to maximize Macs potential to see what he looks like with an actual WR 1. Guess I’m asking for too much
I've seen Mac Jones play and it's safe to say that he's the 4th best QB in the division currently. It's unrealistic to expect him to win much without being gifted some superior weapons because he's not the type to turn a bang average WR into a world beater. He's just not that guy. And to be fair only a select few QBs are 'that guy'. We had the privilege of watching one of those for many years but we gotta work with who we've got at QB right now.

A lot of fans wanted the same thing. I am not sure Hopkins is an actual WR #1, but better than what we have. It would have been more fun but he is 31 and last year he thought he needed PEDs, so there are red flags. Would have been nice. Don't think we need Hopkins to maximize Mac's potential.

I've seen Mac Jones play and it's safe to say that he's the 4th best QB in the division currently. It's unrealistic to expect him to win much without being gifted some superior weapons because he's not the type to turn a bang average WR into a world beater. He's just not that guy. And to be fair only a select few QBs are 'that guy'. We had the privilege of watching one of those for many years but we gotta work with who we've got at QB right now.
Totally agree, I just don’t see an issue with helping a QB that needs weapons. He’s not Brady, he’s not Mahomes and prob will never be. But does that justify not surrounding him with players that will help take his game to the next level? No.

Just look what Diggs did to Allen’s career..

I really like the decision to bring Parker back at a lower cost. I was lukewarm about Hopkins, you gotta wonder why so few teams were interested. Seems like we don't have the complete picture. I think we dodged a bullet by not signing Hopkins. Let's roll with what we have and see if improved coaching can do a better job of utilizing the talent already on the roster. I'm excited to see if they can compete as well as they did last year, but instead of losing close games, hopefully they walk away with more wins than losses. Let Freakin Go! August is right around the corner, I'm getting pumped up for the season.

Why does everyone say "wonder why no one was interested in Hopkins.". Have you seen the list of teams remaining cap space? It's rare that a player like this becomes a FA after the draft.

I have a strange feeling that Hopkins is Julio part 2 .

We need this 17 million next year for Jeudy and we can possibly retain Onwenu and Dugger . If Thornton or Boutte/ Douglas develop , Jeudy + Parker + wr3 /. Will be handful. I expect gesicki to be mainstay for us . He is going to be extended next year or possibly mid season this year . If Mac can take us to the playoff with this cast that speaks volumes. So maybe bill is evaluating him with constraints . Real mac should come out .

I just hope the tackle situation gets sorted .

Why does everyone say "wonder why no one was interested in Hopkins.". Have you seen the list of teams remaining cap space? It's rare that a player like this becomes a FA after the draft.
It seems like teams could have found a way to get him if they really wanted him. There were limited teams with cap space, but still only two teams were really linked to him. Seems odd, especially if he is the difference maker that people were saying he is. You could be right though; I'm just surprised it was really only the Titans and Pats that seemed serious.

It seems like teams could have found a way to get him if they really wanted him. There were limited teams with cap space, but still only two teams were really linked to him. Seems odd, especially if he is the difference maker that people were saying he is. You could be right though; I'm just surprised it was really only the Titans and Pats that seemed serious.
Both Teams WR situations was pretty weak though Tennessee's have more upside with Treylon Burks...D-Hop should really help him reach his potential.

Miguel estimates they will need 16 mill in season

Just look what Diggs did to Allen’s career..

Just look at what Hill did to Tua's career. Wait! Miami has not won a playoff game since trading for Hill. Oh well, we can keep cherry picking the stats and hirings we like to prove a point we like. Look at what J Jefferson did to Cousins career. Wait! The Vikings have not won a playoff games since Jefferson was drafted.

We can go back and forth cherry picking all day. Even change our usernames to CrawhammerJr and WozzyJr?

Just look at what Hill did to Tua's career. Wait! Miami has not won a playoff game since trading for Hill. Oh well, we can keep cherry picking the stats and hirings we like to prove a point we like. Look at what J Jefferson did to Cousins career. Wait! The Vikings have not won a playoff games since Jefferson was drafted.

We can go back and forth cherry picking all day. Even change our usernames to CrawhammerJr and WozzyJr?
When was the last time Patriots won a playoff game?

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back