PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Decker, McDaniels & Patriots interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decker is still better than anything we have he is also pretty durable what's not to like? Lets not get ahead of ourselves here we have a pretty weak receiving core.:snob:

I take Dobson and Edelman next year over signing decker.

Decker is over-rated and soft. What did he do last night? what did he do against the pats in that cold game? he's basically a younger version of Brandon Lloyd. soft, falls the ground after a catch. and we didn't even want lloyd at a cheaper price!

Decker is over-rated and soft. What did he do last night? what did he do against the pats in that cold game? he's basically a younger version of Brandon Lloyd. soft, falls the ground after a catch. and we didn't even want lloyd at a cheaper price!

RIpats your Eric Decker Patriot jersey is on me book it.:eat3: After last nights game Decker might be in our price range think positive.:)

Decker is over-rated and soft. What did he do last night?

He was mugged all game with no calls. That is what Seattle did to everyone all season long. They are the biggest cheaters in football, but no one talks about it.

The Denver OLine was atrocious, and was exposed. Peyton couldn't get rid of the ball in under 2s, he had pressure in his face and from the edges all game long.

Have you seen the Pats run defense?

The run defense did an OK job, it was not the problem. The defense was playing very well until Talib went down. The secondary was a much bigger problem after Talib left the game.

Decker had Sherman on him. I wouldn't have expected anyone to do much against how Sherman is playing this season

Decker had Sherman on him. I wouldn't have expected anyone to do much against how Sherman is playing this season

You're ruining the scripts of those who didn't pay attention to the game. Let them have their fun acting as if Decker just decided he didn't want to try out there.

Decker wants to be paid like a #1 and he clearly isn't one. I would give him 3 million a season and not a penny more.

Decker wants to be paid like a #1 and he clearly isn't one. I would give him 3 million a season and not a penny more.

What would you pay for a guy who had 0 receptions against an awful defense in a playoff game?

Sherman plays a side of the field, so he was on both Thomas and Decker. Manning targeted Sherman when he was covering Thomas 3 times for 1/3. I don't think he targeted Decker once when he was on Sherman. Maxwell was owning Decker as well.

Decker is a creampuff vs. physical, man to man CBs. Dennard owned him in the first game and probably would have the 2nd time until he became the CB1...:bricks:

Yeah, those who are projecting 9m dollars per year are blowing my mind, but I guess all it takes is one team, so we'll have to see.

I would think that 6-7m is his ceiling myself.

I wouldn't want Decker on this team. He is such a baby against physical corners

I wouldn't want Decker on this team. He is such a baby against physical corners

While your point is duly noted, and I certainly agree with it on some level, do we really have any WR on the team who isn't a baby against physical corners?

Better yet, how many of the middle to upper class WRs in this league aren't babies against physical corners? There aren't that many, and obviously we'd want any of those guys who fit the criteria on our team. If anything, we need a physical playing WR more than we need a deeper, speedier threat in my opinion.

Although the deep threat would open up more underneath routes which are still our bread/butter and draw attention, some of those skills are definitely going to go wasted due to the fact that we don't throw the ball deeply that often, aside for a playaction shot here and there to keep the defense honest. Brady's quicker release, timing based offense, and ability to take advantage of mismatches with pre-snap reads etc are the strengths of this QB, and it's why I'd love to have a physical specimen who is dependable like that of Anquan Boldin--even though it's nothing more than a pipe dream.

While your point is duly noted, and I certainly agree with it on some level, do we really have any WR on the team who isn't a baby against physical corners?

Better yet, how many of the middle to upper class WRs in this league aren't babies against physical corners? There aren't that many, and obviously we'd want any of those guys who fit the criteria on our team. If anything, we need a physical playing WR more than we need a deeper, speedier threat in my opinion.

Although the deep threat would open up more underneath routes which are still our bread/butter and draw attention, some of those skills are definitely going to go wasted due to the fact that we don't throw the ball deeply that often, aside for a playaction shot here and there to keep the defense honest. Brady's quicker release, timing based offense, and ability to take advantage of mismatches with pre-snap reads etc are the strengths of this QB, and it's why I'd love to have a physical specimen who is dependable like that of Anquan Boldin--even though it's nothing more than a pipe dream.

Yes million time yes. I'd rather have a Anquan Boldin-type receiver than Eric Decker. All your points are absolutely correct since the offense usually moves the ball fairly well, but once
things start tightening up a physical receiver is what the Patriots have sorely missed.
Gronk is that type of receiver, but we need another one
badly.

Yes million time yes. I'd rather have a Anquan Boldin-type receiver than Eric Decker. All your points are absolutely correct since the offense usually moves the ball fairly well, but once
things start tightening up a physical receiver is what the Patriots have sorely missed.
Gronk is that type of receiver, but we need another one
badly.

This is kind of why I think our WR group (or lack thereof) definitely needs to be addressed this offseason, even despite many posters' opinions of the rookies taking a huge 2nd year leap.

If one/two of the rookies step up and have a more productive season in 2014, great...but we can't go into the season depending on that to happen either.

It's a tough call in terms of who to cut, who to restructure, etc--but I would hope that Belichick realizes our extreme limitations in this area, and common sense would point to him definitely seeing the problem. We all saw him breaking down the limitations in '09--and that was WITH Moss and Welker on the team, so I just have a hard time seeing us go into the season the way it is now.

Hopefully we can hit on a good TE rookie pick in one of the top rounds to go along with a couple of middle/lower tier guys. Deus' idea of Jerricho Cotchery seems to be a good enough idea to address the possession kind of receiver that we don't currently have at the moment, for reasonable type cost. That would go a long way towards helping the problem in my opinion. As you said, the addition of a healthy Gronk come January would be ideal.

Hakeem Nicks over Decker....Imagine.......

Hakeem Nicks
Jace Amaro
Gronk
Vereen
Deanthony Thomas
Colt Lyerla
Aaron Dobson

No one could stop that offense. Not Seattle....not the 85 Bears

And the only one you are really paying now is Nicks who will be way cheaper than Decker

Cut Wilfork ,Amendola,Sopo,etc. restructure some contracts

sign Arthur Jones,Alex mack and some line depth

None of this would be unrealistic and would absolutely crush the league(if healthy)

He's worth getting just to hear ESPN talk about the genius of Belichick, essentially trading an old, beaten down Wes Welker for a young, emerging Decker.

Would be hilarious Denver off season ownage.

I bet with Gronk he could put up good regular season numbers

Signing a WR like Decker is not going to happen and I wouldn't want it to.

The goal of this team should be to get better on defense and better in the trenches. Our WR's can't get any worse from this past year. We're going to have a solid running game once again.

I would be giddy if we found a way to sign Sanders (let Edelman walk, especially if he's pricier), and a couple other vet FA WRs, draft one of the top 3 rookie Tight Ends (Amaro, Ebron or Sefarian-Jenkins) and hope the rest of our WRs develop. Those three Tight ends I mentioned are very capable of coming in and being more than dependable until Gronk comes back. Then you have Dobson, Amendola and Sanders as your top 3 WRs. Gronk and one of those TEs....paired with Ridley, Vereen and Blount (yes, resign him) and you've got weapons and depth (Boyce, Thompkins).

The 1st round pick is used on TE. 2nd/3rd/4th on DL, OL and defense.

FA money is spent on Talib, Sanders and more defense/OL. Simple. We don't have a ton of needs or glaring weaknesses. We've got some areas we need to improve, sure...but this can be done.

After this season I have come to the conclusion there are 3 types of WRs.

WRs who are game changers. True #1s These are guys who you pay to get. They are guys who actually legitimately tend to demand a double team fairly often and open things up for other guys. D. Thomas, AJ Green, Gordon, ect... are examples of these. They are the type you pay top price to get cause they actually change the way a D has to play you (Gronk is one of these too).

The 2nd kind is a reliable professional WR. These are the guys you need to be careful when you sign cause they often get over paid. We made this mistake when we signed Amendola who really falls here. We paid too much for a guy who is not effective against decent Ds when a guy like Gronk is not on the field to open it up for him. Decker is in this group and will demand 6-7 M. Don't go near him.

The third are everyone else. Not really worth talking about.

So basically the point here is Decker is not someone you want to sign. His profile is too high and he will cost too much and is not worth it.

The top TE in the game, and two premium slot receivers can make up for fielding two WR2's. Address the DL, OL, secondary, and another TE in that order.

You don't draft 3 receivers and then go after a high priced FA WR or give up on them in year 2 after they have shown you some production! What they have done on the field is basically met first year expectations, or in other words, things are still going according to the plan that was in place when they were drafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST