PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

David Thomas & Randall Gay...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: David Thomas & Randall Gay ....

Gay is a JAG. He was here. He still is in New Orleans. In the two years he has been in NO, he has had 1 INT.

Dave Thomas has been sporatically good for the Saints, but overall he hasn't been much more than a roll player. He has stepped up against some of the bad teams the Saints have played, but yesterday was probably the first time he stepped up in a big game.

I know people on this board like to look at one game and make sweeping judgements, but so far neither player have been that good since they left the Pats.

If both Thomas and Gay do something notable in the Super Bowl then what they have done since they were a part of the team if it is as little as you say,won't be remembered.
Its what happens in the playoffs and what you do to help your team win it all is what matters most.

Look at Moss here,he has been the #1 WR and considered the biggest threat during the regular season but when the playoffs arrive.....extremely little to show

Last edited:

I always thought Thomas would be better than Watson, he just could never stay on the field and then got unfairly blamed (especially on this board) for losing the Colts game in 2008 with that unnecessary roughness call (he didn't hear the whistle and the hit wasn't all that late)

If both Thomas and Gay do something notable in the Super Bowl then what they have done since they were a part of the team if it is as little as you say,won't be remembered.
Its what happens in the playoffs and what you do to help your team win it all is what matters most.

Look at Moss here,he has been the #1 WR and considered the biggest threat during the regular season but when the playoffs arrive.....extremely little to show

Really?!? You mean like future Hall of Famer David Tyree who had done nothing before the Super Bowl in the 2007 and nothing since, but had one of the greatest catches of all time? He's on the street. Maybe the Pats should cut Moss and make Tyree their #1 WR. He is far better than Moss in the playoffs.

I do agree about Moss though. Without him in 2007, the Pats may not have even made the playoffs, but that means the Pats wouldn't have lost a game in the playoffs either. Hence I blame Moss for helping the Pats make the playoffs in 2007 and 2009, he ruined our chances for a great draft pick this year.

Seriously, although I am not happy that Moss has disappeared in the playoffs, but for a player to play well in the playoffs his team actually has to make the playoffs. That means I don't want a guy who doesn't show up until the playoffs just as much as I don't want a guy who disapears in the playoffs. That is why a guy like Jermaine Wiggins got let go after having a great playoff game against the Raiders where he caught more balls in that game than he did all season.

Really?!? You mean like future Hall of Famer David Tyree who had done nothing before the Super Bowl in the 2007 and nothing since, but had one of the greatest catches of all time? He's on the street. Maybe the Pats should cut Moss and make Tyree their #1 WR. He is far better than Moss in the playoffs.

I do agree about Moss though. Without him in 2007, the Pats may not have even made the playoffs, but that means the Pats wouldn't have lost a game in the playoffs either. Hence I blame Moss for helping the Pats make the playoffs in 2007 and 2009, he ruined our chances for a great draft pick this year.

Seriously, although I am not happy that Moss has disappeared in the playoffs, but for a player to play well in the playoffs his team actually has to make the playoffs. That means I don't want a guy who doesn't show up until the playoffs just as much as I don't want a guy who disapears in the playoffs. That is why a guy like Jermaine Wiggins got let go after having a great playoff game against the Raiders where he caught more balls in that game than he did all season.

Like I said a few days ago...give me the old days where Brady had no real favorite flashy receiver and just threw to anyone that was open,as long as they all are decent at catching the ball..I miss those days and if I had to choose between Moss and a roster full of guys that no team could sit back and plan for, I take the latter,good teams just could not shut down our offense as they are doing more often now with less targets to worry about.

Like I said a few days ago...give me the old days where Brady had no real favorite flashy receiver and just threw to anyone that was open,as long as they all are decent at catching the ball..I miss those days and if I had to choose between Moss and a roster full of guys that no team could sit back and plan for, I take the latter,good teams just could not shut down our offense as they are doing more often now with less targets to worry about.

Give me the days where Brady and the offense hasn't had to carry the defense. I liked it better like in 2003 where the defense carried the offense.

The problem isn't Moss (although I am not his biggest fan), the problem has been the Pats have asked the offense to carry the defense the last few years. Hopefully, we have seen a shift to improving the defense and there will be more balance on both sides of the ball.

But either way, your statement really has nothing to do with the fact that Gay and Thomas are JAGs and them not showing up during the regular season doesn't get erased if they have a good game or two in the playoffs.

I don't look at it as Thomas instead of Baker. It was Matthews instead of Thomas. The Patriots traded Thomas to N.O. and then traded for Matthews from the Giants. It netted out to a trade of Thomas for Matthews, who was cut on 10/20. Thomas was not a TE/OT, like Baker or Kyle Brady, but he is a smart player with good hands versatility and toughness. If the Patriots coaching staff is going to throw players away after one stupid play, like the one in the Colts game, then they're going to start running out of useful players quickly. Maybe they already have. It's quite possible that Baker will be the only TE on team in a few weeks. As far as impact goes, trading Thomas probably didn't have much impact on the Patriots season one way or the other, but it was a dumb move.

Thomas was a good player.

The fact that we couldn't use this versatile, intelligent, great athlete with incredible hands is an INDICTMENT OF US, NOT HIM.

Way to vary the offense up and create some plays for this guy, either lead blocking or whatever. Duh!

:mad:

While I have watched Thomas a few times this year and he has done well, I dont think he fit the TE position in our offense, also it was mentioned yesterday he was only in there since another of there TE's ( Billy Miller I think) was out for the year.

Saints TE Miller has a torn Achilles’ tendon

Looks like he got hurt in preseason.

Give me the days where Brady and the offense hasn't had to carry the defense. I liked it better like in 2003 where the defense carried the offense.

The problem isn't Moss (although I am not his biggest fan), the problem has been the Pats have asked the offense to carry the defense the last few years. Hopefully, we have seen a shift to improving the defense and there will be more balance on both sides of the ball.

But either way, your statement really has nothing to do with the fact that Gay and Thomas are JAGs and them not showing up during the regular season doesn't get erased if they have a good game or two in the playoffs.

I disagree...Here is a point of why I do....

Remember the Colts in 2006 who could not stop the rush all season only to become super tough in the playoffs on the way to winning it all?

No one remembers that poor rushing defense because the SB win overshadowed the whole regular season failures and the players who got burned all regular season long.

You know, Thomas was basically the same player now that he was when he was at UT. If they were looking for a certain skill set for that position, I have no idea why they drafted him in the first place. Nor do I have the faintest idea why they followed that pick up by drafting Garrett Mills in the next round. When people start analyzing why the Jets roster may be better than ours (see other thread), drafts like this are the first reason to come to mind.

Moss has NOT prevented the team from getting Branch/Givens level of talent. So stop equating Moss being here with the inability to field WR depth.

And our offense is not getting shut down MORE than it used to. Stop revising history. Why don't you actually go back and watch the 01, 02, 03, 04 seasons again. The offense WAS being shut down, but the defense usually had their back.

Last edited:

Thomas is a classic example of a player who when in the right system, will play good.

And he's another shining example of why the Pats need to re-evaluate their offensive and defensive systems. When you give away a guy like Thomas because he "doesn't fit" that's a problem.

When you pass up on a LB like Clay Matthews because he "doesn't fit your system," that's a problem, too.

We dont need a TE who can lead block. We are shotgun team now. Kinda like "the run and shoot" or the "shoot and shoot". Or whatever we are now.
Chuck and duck..........

The Pats drafted Thomas and Mills the year before they acquired Welker, and refashioned the offense to suit his skills.

Pats need alot more than those two. It's sad times when Patriot fans are asking for Randall Gay and David Thomas back, very sad.

Sad times indeed when Pats fans long for two solid veterans at their respective positions. :confused:

Granted, Gay isn't worth what NO is giving him, but I always thought he was somewhat underrated. He was a very good nickel and serviceable as a starter. I don't know if we seriously negotiated with him on an extension or not, but if we didn't it wouldn't suprise me. The Pats do like to do things on the cheap when it comes to extending their players. And yes I know this offseason the apolgists will point to Adalius and say "see we told you so." (nevermind that he was a FA coming from the Ravens).

Vikings are terrible against TEs. It is the biggest weakness for this defense. So I wouldn't get too excited about what happened yesterday

I don't look at it as Thomas instead of Baker. It was Matthews instead of Thomas. The Patriots traded Thomas to N.O. and then traded for Matthews from the Giants. It netted out to a trade of Thomas for Matthews, who was cut on 10/20. Thomas was not a TE/OT, like Baker or Kyle Brady, but he is a smart player with good hands versatility and toughness. If the Patriots coaching staff is going to throw players away after one stupid play, like the one in the Colts game, then they're going to start running out of useful players quickly. Maybe they already have. It's quite possible that Baker will be the only TE on team in a few weeks. As far as impact goes, trading Thomas probably didn't have much impact on the Patriots season one way or the other, but it was a dumb move.

Hear, hear.

You know, Thomas was basically the same player now that he was when he was at UT. If they were looking for a certain skill set for that position, I have no idea why they drafted him in the first place. Nor do I have the faintest idea why they followed that pick up by drafting Garrett Mills in the next round. When people start analyzing why the Jets roster may be better than ours (see other thread), drafts like this are the first reason to come to mind.

Hear, hear - again.

I don't know which has deteriorated faster: Bill's handling of his players, or his handling of his draft room.

And he's another shining example of why the Pats need to re-evaluate their offensive and defensive systems. When you give away a guy like Thomas because he "doesn't fit" that's a problem.

When you pass up on a LB like Clay Matthews because he "doesn't fit your system," that's a problem, too.

Well-said.

Methinks it's "the system" that's the problem here, not the availability of good football players.

Really? Wilhite isn't a starting corner yet, but he always seemed competitive in coverage. He hasn't learned to turn around and play the ball yet. I certainly think he has a better chance of making the team than Wheatley or even someone like Slater/Lockett.

Wilhite IS THE STARTER.

I don't know why you people don't seem to understand that a starter who makes no money is not getting cut.

I'm aboujt 90% convinced that PatriotsfaninPA is Ron Borges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes