PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

QB School's Week 6 Mac Jones Analysis

Ross12

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread on this one. I enjoy watching these and this one was pretty useful since the Raiders game was the first game in a while where Mac wasn't getting hit constantly so there was better analysis to be done. My initial takeaway here is that the play design is honestly not that bad at times (it could be better). There are big plays waiting to happen, though, if the reads are actually made correctly and if the ball is thrown with accuracy...

The analysis on the bad INT he threw is so bad, especially because there were multiple guys open immediately after the snap, pick up the first down, in the red zone... There was just no reason to go running trying to "extend the play"... Brutal. It's damning for Mac IMO.

Good stuff. 2 points. I would say Mac had Rham wide open on the safety, but O'Sullivan doesn't mention it.

I was almost positive he would show the play where Amik Robertson got a holding call against Thornton. On that play, Thornton chucked Robertson and threw off the hold, then broke open downfield for a very easy TD.

Mac didn't throw that way, instead he threw a floater incomplete to the sideline. This was not a play where Mac was rushed, and we know that because the hold on Robertson was called prior to the ball being thrown. So, Mac threw it a beat after Thornton broke free for a TD.

GIF by Call Me Kat

Thought I'd start a thread on this one. I enjoy watching these and this one was pretty useful since the Raiders game was the first game in a while where Mac wasn't getting hit constantly so there was better analysis to be done. My initial takeaway here is that the play design is honestly not that bad at times (it could be better). There are big plays waiting to happen, though, if the reads are actually made correctly and if the ball is thrown with accuracy...

The analysis on the bad INT he threw is so bad, especially because there were multiple guys open immediately after the snap, pick up the first down, in the red zone... There was just no reason to go running trying to "extend the play"... Brutal. It's damning for Mac IMO.

The 3rd and 5 that Parker blew is something I talked about in the GDT. We've seen Brady throw that curl or hitch so many times to just move the chains. All Parker had to do was just run, wall his man, turn and catch because he's past the down marker, so there's no need to ********. We know this because Mac is in a 3 step drop which gives you no time to do anything else that just turn and catch.

The 3rd and 5 that Parker blew is something I talked about in the GDT. We've seen Brady throw that curl or hitch so many times to just move the chains. All Parker had to do was just run, wall his man, turn and catch because he's past the down marker, so there's no need to ********. We know this because Mac is in a 3 step drop which gives you no time to do anything else that just turn and catch.
I didn't even see the all 22 before I read your take and knew what to look for. Honestly, it makes me think that guys aren't either bought in to what they are coaching, aren't coaching it correctly, or are too busy freelancing their own stuff.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's very rudimentary bread-and-butter Patriots offense. JT tries to give an explanation that Parker was playing it as if he was the 3rd or 4th option on the play, so was slow-playing it on purpose to buy time... but that smells like total ******** to me. That's not Patriots football. I think Parker was either just playing slow or screwed up and forgot his route.

The final word on Mac to this point is that the final word on Mac is not yet available.. The failure of the head coach and the GM to provide him with an opportunity to develop and show what he can do - a fireable offense, in my view - has left us with no sound empirical basis upon which to make any such evaluation. If I had to guess at this point, I would guess that Mac is not good enough to serve as a "franchise qb," but but I am far less certain of this assessment than I am disgusted that such guessing is all we can do, given the GM's - arguably the HC's - gross incompetence over the span of Mac's career up to now.

Last edited:
For a brief but not insignificant span of time last year, for a variety of reasons which you and I and everybody else is sick of talking about, Zappe did indeed outplay Mac, Because of this, I felt that Zappe had earned the right to genuine consideration as starter if matters evolved to a point where that seemed reasonable. To that extent, and to that extent only, as I said at the time, there should be "qb competition." The inanely protracted discussion over whether such a "competition" should be established, a discussion in which no one at any time defined what a "qb competition" is (which would immediately and to everyone's relief have ended the palaver), has thankfully abated. I also said at the time that I was pretty sure that it would be a competition Mac would win. To some extent, in that Zappe has been given reps in practice and in preseason, Zappe has had his look, andhas shown himself not to be up to snuff. So be it.

At this point, it really isn't very important on which side of the late and unlamented kerfuffle one found oneself. We should all just be a little embarrassed that we had such a discussion in the first place, and very grateful that the damned thing is over.

And this is the game all those Mac fans are saying he played well :rofl:

And this is the game all those Mac fans are saying he played well :rofl:
This discussion could be a lot more worthwhile if we would decline to embrace and insist on such childishly crude dichotomies as "Mac Haters" vs. "Mac Lovers." A cursory glance at the news any evening will disclose the damage such lazy habits can do to a community.

On the low pass to Gesicki it really looked like Mac was terrified to step into the throw and put some zip on to.
He seems to be scared to death about throwing picks. He just seems to lack confidence. Some of this I believe is on coaching.
This video commentary seems to really point out how the offensive scheme is far from perfect.
O'Brien has escaped criticism so far...but some of this is on him.

I think Mac's best chance to improve is if they let him wing it a little and if he turns it over he turns it over but right now he has the yips.

On the low pass to Gesicki it really looked like Mac was terrified to step into the throw and put some zip on to.
He seems to be scared to death about throwing picks. He just seems to lack confidence. Some of this I believe is on coaching.
This video commentary seems to really point out how the offensive scheme is far from perfect.
O'Brien has escaped criticism so far...but some of this is on him.

I think Mac's best chance to improve is if they let him wing it a little and if he turns it over he turns it over but right now he has the yips.
It’s a combination of being afraid to turn it over but also being deathly afraid of pressure and getting skittish and his fundamentals going to **** as soon as he gets the slightest whiff of a defensive player within 5 feet of him. He was definitely a lot better with both of these things in the first couple games, but in the Dallas game it all unraveled and he’s been mostly a disaster since then. If he could get back to his Philly form, he might be salvageable, but I don’t have much hope there.

It’s a combination of being afraid to turn it over but also being deathly afraid of pressure and getting skittish and his fundamentals going to **** as soon as he gets the slightest whiff of a defensive player within 5 feet of him. He was definitely a lot better with both of these things in the first couple games, but in the Dallas game it all unraveled and he’s been mostly a disaster since then. If he could get back to his Philly form, he might be salvageable, but I don’t have much hope there.
Where is O’Brien. Isn’t he supposed to be the QB whisperer?

Good stuff. 2 points. I would say Mac had Rham wide open on the safety, but O'Sullivan doesn't mention it.

I was almost positive he would show the play where Amik Robertson got a holding call against Thornton. On that play, Thornton chucked Robertson and threw off the hold, then broke open downfield for a very easy TD.

Mac didn't throw that way, instead he threw a floater incomplete to the sideline. This was not a play where Mac was rushed, and we know that because the hold on Robertson was called prior to the ball being thrown. So, Mac threw it a beat after Thornton broke free for a TD.

Yup I thought he would show that play too. What is amazing is that Mac can not see the crossing routes over the middle that are in front of him. Makes no sense.

Agree with this. Skittish is a great word. No guts, no glory. Mac has no glory.

You might start a new "Mac's best chance to succeed" thread. Might get some interesting responses.

I think Mac's best chance to succeed is RPOs with very quick releases. A glorified running game. Mac's long game sucks. So run RPOs, WR screens, quick slants, etc., until Mac gains confidence.

The final word on Mac to this point is that the final word on Mac is not yet available.. The failure of the head coach and the GM to provide him with an opportunity to develop and show what he can do - a fireable offense, in my view - has left us with no sound empirical basis upon which to make any such evaluation. If I had to guess at this point, I would guess that Mac is not good enough to serve as a "franchise qb," but but I am far less certain of this assessment than I am disgusted that such guessing is all we can do, given the GM's - arguably the HC's - gross incompetence over the span of Mac's career up to now.
It's safe to say that Mac was not, is not, and will never be a top 10 QB.

Whether he's good enough to be middle of the pack, we'll yeah that’s harder to tell but looking at the film review, it doesn't seem so.

Honestly, it's hard not to compare him to Brady. His throws and movement in the pocket are such a downgrade.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back