PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Darrelle Revis Rumors and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the impression the Patriots will be acting under the assumption that they will be receiving some type of relief for Hernandez, either in 2014 or in the form of a credit in 2015.

Miguel clearly states that his number is not going to assuming the Pats get back a dime. The Pats may be less conservative in their approach.

The question is how fast do they get cap relief if Hernandez is charged in those other two murders?

I get the impression the Patriots will be acting under the assumption that they will be receiving some type of relief for Hernandez, either in 2014 or in the form of a credit in 2015.

Color me VERY skeptical about that B6. Pats do not bet on wishes. They''re fairly conservative managing the cap, taking calculated risks. There's no warm and fuzzy in my mind coming from Goodell to the Pats org. Quite the opposite.

OK. Maybe I've done a vulcan mind meld with Joker.

You know what? That article doesn't scare me in the least. Even if the Pats get him, it will hamper other moves they can make, and Revis isn't the player he was 3-4 years ago. As he ages, his play will continue to deteriorate. I'd actually love seeing the Jets stud WR (Cooks, Beckham or Matthews) destroy Revis in the head-to-head matchups the two teams have and see him catch the game-winning TD over Revis in the AFC Championship game in a year or two. Eff Revis.

ROFL. gl to that.

Color me VERY skeptical about that B6. Pats do not bet on wishes. They''re fairly conservative managing the cap, taking calculated risks. There's no warm and fuzzy in my mind coming from Goodell to the Pats org. Quite the opposite.

OK. Maybe I've done a vulcan mind meld with Joker.

Your probably right. I am being optimistic, I just find it ironic that a deal signed before the new CBA is being held against the cap based on the terms of the new CBA.

Joker and I are having a lovers quarrel, I took the kids and went to my moms. He won't feel so righteous once the dishes start piling up...

Revis and Patsfans sitting in a tree...

Joker and I are having a lovers quarrel, I took the kids and went to my moms. He won't feel so righteous once the dishes start piling up...

I've got to admit, this is pretty damn funny.

Knowing Joker though, he'd much rather take a stick of dynamite to the dishes and just buy new ones :cool:

The Pats have plenty of cap space if they want Revis (and I am not sure they are willing to pay in terms of draft pick compensation and salary to get him).

I'm with you in the thinking that Revis is still likely to command top notch money, and that we probably wouldn't be inclined to give up draft picks AND pay him top of the market dough to come here.

That said, I agree that they can definitely make some moves if they wish. It would be nice to see some of those moves made outside of worrying about Derelle Revis though.

There are plenty of areas that can use an improvement/better depth vs deciding to pay a CB 10-12 million dollars (or whatever your opinion of Revis' worth may be).

I'm with you in the thinking that Revis is still likely to command top notch money, and that we probably wouldn't be inclined to give up draft picks AND pay him top of the market dough to come here.

That said, I agree that they can definitely make some moves if they wish. It would be nice to see some of those moves made outside of worrying about Derelle Revis though.

There are plenty of areas that can use an improvement/better depth vs deciding to pay a CB 10-12 million dollars (or whatever your opinion of Revis' worth may be).

Would rather resign Talib and get another good CB for mevis money

Would rather resign Talib and get another good CB for mevis money

I think I'd agree with you there.

I'd also consider re-signing Talib to a reasonable deal AND taking another shot in the draft as well, choosing to spend the loot on the 2nd CB somewhere else.

if the pats have the money to bring in a Darrelle Revis type player then why not push hard after T. J. Ward they can sign him and Aqib Talib for with Revis is making

talib is a phenomenal player...when healthy...he essentially sat out 2 consecutive AFC Championships...not saying he wasnt hurt...but he was hurt and didnt play.

if i knew hed be healthy id say pay him big bucks...but thats not that case. you have to wonder what we could do to improve the pass defense. revis would be great but there are obviously high costs associated with getting him. would you rather have Rodger Cromartie..another CB?

does anyone want to go into 2014 with Talib and Amendola...every week we gotta wonder if theyll get hurt. they just get injured so much more often than other guys out there. id rather pay more to our top players...players with a higher % theyll be on the field

talib is a phenomenal player...when healthy...he essentially sat out 2 consecutive AFC Championships...not saying he wasnt hurt...but he was hurt and didnt play.

if i knew hed be healthy id say pay him big bucks...but thats not that case. you have to wonder what we could do to improve the pass defense. revis would be great but there are obviously high costs associated with getting him. would you rather have Rodger Cromartie..another CB?

does anyone want to go into 2014 with Talib and Amendola...every week we gotta wonder if theyll get hurt. they just get injured so much more often than other guys out there. id rather pay more to our top players...players with a higher % theyll be on the field

if they can sign Talib at 6 or 7 million per his 2014 cap hit would be something like 3 or 4 million, IMO it would be crazy not to bring him back at that price they would still have the money to sign more then just the few annual jags and vets if they wanted to

I think Belichick would definitely go after Revis provided he play for less than half of what he does now and there is no compensation. Then he would be all over it.

if they can sign Talib at 6 or 7 million per his 2014 cap hit would be something like 3 or 4 million, IMO it would be crazy not to bring him back at that price they would still have the money to sign more then just the few annual jags and vets if they wanted to

I actually think you are right in the Patriots range for him and they would do a deal in the low to mid twenties for him with some conditions, it will just come down to who else is willing to pay what. There is a pretty good chance someone will go to 30 for him and i think the Patriots would pass at that price.

The only way I can see the Pats doing this is if Revis redoes his deal.

His current contract gives long term security if he falls off the cliff in terms of talent, but it sacrifices short term cap flexibility. Revis has no guaranteed money, he gets a $1.5 million roster bonus every year and a $13.5 million salary. Cutting him is easy because there is no dead money, but his cap hit is $15 million every year.

Now the Pats could decide to go after him for a short term solution and give him something like a $20-30 million signing bonus and cut his base salary for the next two years to $2-4 million and deal with the cap hit of cutting him in 2016 when the cap is supposed to be $150 million.

This is the only way I can see this deal getting done. It will take a lot to get it though including Revis willing to renegotiate and the Pats willing to take a big cap hit in 2016 and potentially giving up a first rounder for a two year player.

Re: Darrelle Revis Available

Not even close. One guy is a top five CB when healthy but has a nagging hip injury that flares up every year and the other guy is probably the best CB in the game. If Revis lowers his contract demands and comes down under $10M per (not happening), I would be all over it if I was Belichick. The guy effectively shuts down half the field without safety help.

If we made this move, we would definitely win the Super Bowl in Madden.

Two comments:

"Dream Teams" are usually better on paper than on the field, so count me out of all the "gushing" :) over the "Dream Secondary" scenarios.

For what it's worth Gary Myers of the NY Daily News joined the fray on the topic this morning: "You know Belichick would love to stick it to the Jets by trading for Revis." That probably puts the jinx on this ever happening.

Read more: More musical Darrelle Revis? Super Bowl contenders likely to try and deal with Bucs for the ex-Jets cornerback - NY Daily News

All they talk about in NY is how THEY are in New England's head...and then they write THIS garbage. Pwned to the max.

All they talk about in NY is how THEY are in New England's head...and then they write THIS garbage. Pwned to the max.

I know right. Winning the AFC East every single season shows how much NY is in our head. :rolleyes:

I would bet a good amount of this noise is coming from the Revis camp. He knows the Pats have liked him since the draft and he doesn't want to play for yet another cover 2 D Coordinator, so his agent floats the names of the two best teams in the AFC to see if he can generate some traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes