PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Darrelle Revis Rumors and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
They honestly don't need to resign Moreno or Decker (their two biggest FA's). As sad is it is to admit, they're in better shape and it makes more sense for them to get Revis than us.

Both would be big losses. They also have no center. Zane Beadles will be expensive to keep or replace. Ayers, Woodyard...Sean Phillips was arguably their best defensive player last year. Worse for them, look at the guys thye have up next year, coming off rookie contracts.

Both teams having closing windows. It makes sense for both.

Actually, I think i tmakes more sense for the Patriots - just because JEST fans would throw up in their mouths a little every time they saw Revis in a Pats uniform.

Sometimes it's about more than winning, lol.

Both would be big losses. They also have no center. Zane Beadles will be expensive to keep or replace. Ayers, Woodyard...Sean Phillips was arguably their best defensive player last year. Worse for them, look at the guys thye have up next year, coming off rookie contracts.

Both teams having closing windows. It makes sense for both.

Actually, I think i tmakes more sense for the Patriots - just because JEST fans would throw up in their mouths a little every time they saw Revis in a Pats uniform.

Sometimes it's about more than winning, lol.

of course Jest fans would immediately call him overrated once he put on our jersey.

of course Jest fans would immediately call him overrated once he put on our jersey.

That's why they'd keep the vomit in their mouths...they'd still know the truth, though, wouldn't they?

Yeah, but have you seen the list of their starters they need to resign?

They could do it - so could the Pats. Remember, it'd be a trade, not an FA, so the money is the least of the issues!

Denver is in MUCH better shape with the cap then pats...they are going to save a ton by cutting champ. No decker and no moreno to resign..they have lots of $$ and they will spend it

Denver is in MUCH better shape with the cap then pats...they are going to save a ton by cutting champ. No decker and no moreno to resign..they have lots of $$ and they will spend it

It being Denver in particular, maybe they find a "creative" way to deal with the cap.
Win 2 SBs, let Goodell fine them some money and a 4th rounder again and laugh while hoisting the banners.

If it was ever to happen we would not retain Talib.

Conversely, about the only thing that actually makes sense about this rumor is that it's a way of giving Talib a little nudge to come to terms with the team.

Conversely, about the only thing that actually makes sense about this rumor is that it's a way of giving Talib a little nudge to come to terms with the team.

The way the Patriots could make Revis is to do the following –

- Let Talib walk, which would be at least $5 million in cap space.
- The Gregory release gives them around $2.85 million in cap space.
- Release Kyle Arrington with a June 1 distinction, which would free up $2 million in cap space.
- Release Adrian Wilson, which would free up $1.16 million.
- Extend McCourty, which would free up about $1 million in cap space.

Those moves would create about $12 million in cap space. Revis would have to take a pay cut, the $1.5 million roster and workout bonuses would be a good cut, which would shave $3 million off his cap hit per season. Or they could restructure 2014 and then look to extend him in 2015 when they can give him a signing bonus and spread it out over 5 seasons.

I am not sure why I am even looking at this because the deal will never happen.

- Release Kyle Arrington with a June 1 distinction, which would free up $2 million in cap space.

Those moves would create about $12 million in cap space. Revis would have to take a pay cut, the $1.5 million roster and workout bonuses would be a good cut, which would shave $3 million off his cap hit per season. Or they could restructure 2014 and then look to extend him in 2015 when they can give him a signing bonus and spread it out over 5 seasons.

The Pats are 15 million under NOW, with 65 guys on the roster.

Miguel shows they could easily run near to 30 million under with minimal cuts.

You can't create cap space that you don't have. Aqib Talib is a FA, and currently counts 0 against the cap. I understand that you can consider that what you would pay Revis is additional to what you would have to pay Talib to keep him, but that's a little bit different.

We currently have about $15M in cap space per Miguel (including the Gregory cut). Cutting Arrington and Wilson and extending McCourty would bring that to about $19M, accepting your post-June 1 cut for Arrington for argument's sake (very unlikely). Any Revis contract would chew up at least half of that cap space, leaving the Pats with $9M or less to address other needs.

I am not sure why we are even discussing this because the deal will never happen.

You're looking at it because entertaining the idea is fun. As long as people don't get their hopes up and start believing this will actually happen, noone gets hurt.

Ah, yes ..... another Madden NFL '14 thread. :rolleyes:

You can't create cap space that you don't have. Aqib Talib is a FA, and currently counts 0 against the cap. I understand that you can consider that what you would pay Revis is additional to what you would have to pay Talib to keep him, but that's a little bit different.

We currently have about $15M in cap space per Miguel (including the Gregory cut). Cutting Arrington and Wilson and extending McCourty would bring that to about $19M, accepting your post-June 1 cut for Arrington for argument's sake (very unlikely). Any Revis contract would chew up at least half of that cap space, leaving the Pats with $9M or less to address other needs.

I am not sure why we are even discussing this because the deal will never happen.

I was looking at it terms of what would hit the cap, I know that Talib is not currently a cap hit but what I was looking at is what we would spend to retain him.

And they have a lot more holes than the Patriots. The reason they are in better cap shape is because a lot of starters from last year are becoming free agents including DRC, Decker, Moreno, Shaun Phillips, Zane Beadle, and Mike Adams.

Just because the Broncos are in better cap shape doesn't mean they are in better position to land Revis. They have more cap space, but they need more cap space to fill more starting holes.

According to Over the Cap, the Broncos currently have about $6.5 million more in cap space ($19.4 million for the Broncos and $12.7 million for the Pats). The Broncos may be able to gain $10 million by cutting Champ Bailey, but don't forget the Pats can gain $2 million by cutting Sopanga, $2.5 million cutting Dan Connolley (or get some of that back in a renegotiation), $7.5 million by cutting Wilfork (or at least $5 million in a renegotiation), and get more money by renegotiating either Mankins and/or McCourty. Both teams have plenty of money. In fact, the Pats may have more cap space when they are done making roster adjustments in terms of cuts and contract renegotiations.

The Pats have plenty of cap space if they want Revis (and I am not sure they are willing to pay in terms of draft pick compensation and salary to get him). I stated in my last post how the Pats could easily add $10-15 million worth (possibly more) of cap space with cuts and renegotiations. Not that they plan to do that. Cutting Wilfork and Soponga alone would give the Pats just under $10 million (assuming they want to cut Wilfork). Giving Wifork an extension and cutting Soponga would likely give the Pats about $7-8 million of cap space.

And they have a lot more holes than the Patriots. The reason they are in better cap shape is because a lot of starters from last year are becoming free agents including DRC, Decker, Moreno, Shaun Phillips, Zane Beadle, and Mike Adams.

Just because the Broncos are in better cap shape doesn't mean they are in better position to land Revis. They have more cap space, but they need more cap space to fill more starting holes.

According to Over the Cap, the Broncos currently have about $6.5 million more in cap space ($19.4 million for the Broncos and $12.7 million for the Pats). The Broncos may be able to gain $10 million by cutting Champ Bailey, but don't forget the Pats can gain $2 million by cutting Sopanga, $2.5 million cutting Dan Connolley (or get some of that back in a renegotiation), $7.5 million by cutting Wilfork (or at least $5 million in a renegotiation), and get more money by renegotiating either Mankins and/or McCourty. Both teams have plenty of money. In fact, the Pats may have more cap space when they are done making roster adjustments in terms of cuts and contract renegotiations.

I wish there was a metric focused on this very concept i.e salary cap space vs. Players signed.

Miguel has the Pats at 15 million without restructures or cuts past Gregory. I've learned to trust Miguel. The point is, the Pats could simply cut Sopoaga and restructure Gost and McCourty to be about even with Denver now, and with far fewer holes to fill.

And again, it's not even about cap space - he's not an FA. Either team could easily afford Revis's contract if they wanted to, but someone's going to have to trade with the Bucs to get him - it's Licht's call, not Revis's.

Miguel has the Pats at 15 million without restructures or cuts past Gregory. I've learned to trust Miguel. The point is, the Pats could simply cut Sopoaga and restructure Gost and McCourty to be about even with Denver now, and with far fewer holes to fill.

And again, it's not even about cap space - he's not an FA. Either team could easily afford Revis's contract if they wanted to, but someone's going to have to trade with the Bucs to get him - it's Licht's call, not Revis's.

I think Over the Cap used the $133 million cap figure. Miguel's number of $15 million under the cap is based on the adjusted cap figure which brings the Pats' cap to $139 million due to cap credits from grievance with Fanene and credit from Ochocinco plus the carry over from left over money from last year's cap. Without knowing the Broncos' adjusted cap, I compared apples to apples and used Over the Cap that doesn't use the adjusted number, just the straight $133 million. I am assuming the Pats will have a higher adjusted cap number.

The Pats are 15 million under NOW, with 65 guys on the roster.

Miguel shows they could easily run near to 30 million under with minimal cuts.

I was looking more at the secondary costs. I like to look at each group as an independent entity so that I am not robbing Peter to pay Paul.

The real question is if Revis is worth double what we would likely have to spend to retain Talib. That I personally am not so sure of anymore, Revis did not look like the same cat last season as he did in 2011.

I think Over the Cap used the $133 million cap figure. Miguel's number of $15 million under the cap is based on the adjusted cap figure which brings the Pats' cap to $139 million due to cap credits from grievance with Fanene and Ochocinco plus the carry over from left over money from last year's cap. Without knowing the Broncos' adjusted cap, I compared apples to apples and used Over the Cap that doesn't use the adjusted number, just the straight $133 million. I am assuming the Pats will have a higher adjusted cap number.

I get the impression the Patriots will be acting under the assumption that they will be receiving some type of relief for Hernandez, either in 2014 or in the form of a credit in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore