PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots Couldn't and Shouldn't Match the Jets Offer to Darrelle Revis - READ THIS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is the possibility that the prodigal son routine is just a ruse to help fend off tampering action....not that it will work. Too many Jet's media schills all in on the meme IMO.

I find it funny that the Jets couldn't get to a Super Bowl when Revis was in his prime. Now a few years later and a step slower they think it's gonna work?

I find it funny that the Jets couldn't get to a Super Bowl when Revis was in his prime. Now a few years later and a step slower they think it's gonna work?
There was no evidence he'd slowed down this past season.

Something in that story stuck out to me. It was this comment.

If Gilbert is intent on doing what he's done for Revis for all NFL players, good luck. It will be lock out central. Gilbert has been able to guide Revis because he's one of, if not the best at his position. That isn't the case for 99% of players.

Gilbert (and Revis, obviously) are local from where I live, and some people here talk about Gilbert as being some kind of genius who is going to revolutionize the game. I'm pretty sure his first act if elected is to try and rip up the CBA and start fresh with a bunch of new rules that benefit the players in every way. It wouldn't be pretty.

Strike/lockout..no matter what it would technically be or how it would go down, it would be due to Gilbert, who is ready to miss as much time as possible to make the game better for the players in the long run. On top of that, he's also supposedly presenting a collusion case against the owners, which he claims is damning.

Agreed however, do you think 27 year old Revis would have been having issues with Steve smith in the playoffs?
Who knows? When did Steve Smith enter the convo? :)

Gilbert (and Revis, obviously) are local from where I live, and some people here talk about Gilbert as being some kind of genius who is going to revolutionize the game. I'm pretty sure his first act if elected is to try and rip up the CBA and start fresh with a bunch of new rules that benefit the players in every way. It wouldn't be pretty.

Strike/lockout..no matter what it would technically be or how it would go down, it would be due to Gilbert, who is ready to miss as much time as possible to make the game better for the players in the long run. On top of that, he's also supposedly presenting a collusion case against the owners, which he claims is damning.
There's no genius to holding out and leveraging your position. Leverage is a simple notion.

I don't mind improved contractual conditions I just don't see Gilbert as someone with a grasp on what's realistic and what isn't.

Agreed. Except Revis keeps running his mouth that winning is important. It was last year for him that's why he took less to join the Patriots. But he keeps saying that again in various articles this week. That's bull crap, you didn't go to the jets to win. Don't spew BS.

What else do you expect him to say in the NY market ? The Dolphins are ready to have a parade simply because they signed Suh that's how far away from winning that organization is. If Suh candidly says the choice was about money almost no one will care. NY is different.

I guess whoever started this thread got it right :)

The cards were always Revis' to play. He would have had to want to stay in NE... the one thing we all know is, you can out-bid the Pats, because they don't panic with the checkbook. So he got $12 million last year if I have this right (including that $5M in now-dead money we're all grinding our gears about), and if he wanted to be back, they'd have to agree about the "placeholder" and after.

The JEST did more than the Pats were willing to, and added a couple pieces on offense. Maybe he figures they can compete, and he's more comfortable in green, as he's basically saying -- but the main thing is it's a business, and NY is where the big checks are being written.

Eh well, it was fun while he was here. Really opened up options on defense. That doesn't come cheap though. Just watching and waiting on the rest of FA.

Bill knew it was over on Monday when he told Browner to try to negotiate with other teams, which lends credibility to the tampering of the Jets..

If they got into a bidding war with the NYJ and given Revis what he demanded, and defied their business model/plan, in the next couple of years Jones, Hightower and Collins will all need to get "paid" and they know what to expect..

Do not listen to the naysayers and whores on talk radio, who say over and over again how they cannot understand this move.. if they have to ask this question, they do not understand the Patriots way of doing business..

Even if the patriots resigned Revis there is no guarantee the team wins another SB like its being portrayed. We barely won WITH him last year. Scraped by at home against the Ravens and were the worst play call in history from losing another SB to the Hawks.

And that's with pretty much everything going right for this team health wise from our core center pieces. Revis/Gronk/Brady/mccourty/Vince etc

Even if the patriots resigned Revis there is no guarantee the team wins another SB like its being portrayed. We barely won WITH him last year. Scraped by at home against the Ravens and were the worst play call in history from losing another SB to the Hawks.

And that's with pretty much everything going right for this team health wise from our core center pieces. Revis/Gronk/Brady/mccourty/Vince etc
You are absolutely right, the SB was on Brady gronk and edelmans shoulders. Did Revis help? Of course. But in the Ravens and Seahawks games we didn't face elite WR-QB combos and almost lost both games. (Colts game was just murder - great defensive showing. But we always have colts #, and Arrington was the one who shut down TY) If our defense was that good it would have shown. Our defense was JUST good enough to allow the Offense to put the game out of reach

Brady's 13 out of 15 for 125 yards and two TD's in the last three drives, clearly shows who the "man" was...

His brilliance was magnified even more when he drew them offsides in the final plays..

Would never minimize the impact of Revis, however in this team game you cannot have "11 islands"... it takes the whole team.

You are absolutely right, the SB was on Brady gronk and edelmans shoulders. Did Revis help? Of course. But in the Ravens and Seahawks games we didn't face elite WR-QB combos and almost lost both games. (Colts game was just murder - great defensive showing. But we always have colts #, and Arrington was the one who shut down TY) If our defense was that good it would have shown. Our defense was JUST good enough to allow the Offense to put the game out of reach
Yeah, but the backfield arguably carried the Pats defense throughout the playoffs because the front-seven play was pretty average. Without Revis/Browner and man-coverage scheme emphasis, the Pats front seven -- specifically pass rush -- must now step up significantly. If the Pats have another playoff run coming up it'll be more close contests a la vs. Baltimore and Seattle, just with the front end carrying the load instead of the back end. The Patriot defense won't dominate, we just need to hope it'll be "good" enough to give the offense an occasional leg up.

Yeah, but the backfield arguably carried the Pats defense throughout the playoffs because the front-seven play was pretty average. Without Revis/Browner and man-coverage scheme emphasis, the Pats front seven -- specifically pass rush -- must now step up significantly. If the Pats have another playoff run coming up it'll be more close contests a la vs. Baltimore and Seattle, just with the front end carrying the load instead of the back end. The Patriot defense won't dominate, we just need to hope it'll be "good" enough to give the offense an occasional leg up.

I think BB recognizes that his front 7 was pretty average last year. That absolutely needs to improve.

I may be in the minority, but I don't think Revis was that valuable a player for us on defense in these playoffs based on who we actually matched up against. Against Baltimore, he didn't shut down Steve Smith. Against Indy, we had Arrington and McCourty shut down Hilton. Revis was wasted on Moncrief. Against Seattle, he mostly shut down Baldwin, but that wasn't close to their biggest threat. He is great against the D.Thomas and B.Marshalls of the league and none of those bigger stud WRs were playoff opponents. Pats were right to not pay him that contract he got from the Jets. Invest in the pass rush and control the line of scrimmage is more important.

I may be in the minority, but I don't think Revis was that valuable a player for us on defense in these playoffs based on who we actually matched up against. Against Baltimore, he didn't shut down Steve Smith. Against Indy, we had Arrington and McCourty shut down Hilton. Revis was wasted on Moncrief. Against Seattle, he mostly shut down Baldwin, but that wasn't close to their biggest threat. He is great against the D.Thomas and B.Marshalls of the league and none of those bigger stud WRs were playoff opponents. Pats were right to not pay him that contract he got from the Jets. Invest in the pass rush and control the line of scrimmage is more important.
I agree that the Pats were right in not trying to outbid the Jets, but I disagree as to how valuable Revis was for the D last year.

I wonder if Gilbert was connected with the infamous Posten Brothers, shown here in a documentary video representing the Chosen One, Kellen Winslow Jr., after he was drafted by the Cleveland Browns.

http://www.footballguys.com/04bang_negotiation.htm

Last edited:

Vs BAL Revis covered Smith for him for 52 snaps. After Smith caught his Q1 TD, he didn't catch a ball the rest of the game. His performance enabled the team to shift coverage to the other areas.

Vs Indy he was dominant -which helped shift coverage to other sides of the field.

Vs SEA you may have a point. Even though Baldwin only had 1 catch for 3 yards, he was beaten a few times but Wilson never threw to him as he had better matchups.

So not sure where you are going with your post, but I shudder the thought of that playoff run w/o Revis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3