PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots Couldn't and Shouldn't Match the Jets Offer to Darrelle Revis - READ THIS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I'm in the group that agrees that the Pats shouldn't have gotten into a bidding war on a guy that's going to be 30 once the season starts, especially with guys like Collins, High tower, Solder, Chandler coming up on contracts, but please spare me the crap about Revis not being valuable or losing a step. That's just crap. The guy is one of the major reasons we won the championship last year. An unbelievable talent, and one of the best defensive backs of all time. Even if he did lose a step, he's still the best CB in the game.

I hate that he's a Jet, but I sure as hell don't hate him.

I was really disappointed when Revis went back to the Jets but the more I thought about it the more I realized the Patriots had no chance. Revis actually wanted to go back to the Jets when Tampa released him but Woody Johnson made it clear they had moved on, much to Ryan's chagrine. I thought that Ryan's firing and the chance to win more rings would cause Revis to choose NE if the offers were close but I was dead wrong, Revis wanted to return to NYC whether Ryan was there or not, that's why Johnson's public tampering was so important, because Johnson was reversing his position and making it clear he would pay Revis big money to return, which effectively killed any opportunity the Pastors would have had to sign Revis to an extension in season. When when Woody reversed himself on national TV Revis knew he could go back and there would be a bidding war where the Parrots would be working with a finite amount of cap space regardless of how many moves they made to free up space and Worry Johnson would outbid any offer the Patriots made. So the Patriots made their best offer and then bowed out so they could get busy making the moves they knew they would have to make for life after Revis.

Woody's tampering worked perfectly, the Patriots were going to be outbid no matter how high they went and Revis was going back to NY no matter what.

So what's done is done and all that remains more is for the league to give the Patriots the Jets first round pick in this years draft. Suck that Jetfans.

Bill knew it was over on Monday when he told Browner to try to negotiate with other teams, which lends credibility to the tampering of the Jets..

If they got into a bidding war with the NYJ and given Revis what he demanded, and defied their business model/plan, in the next couple of years Jones, Hightower and Collins will all need to get "paid" and they know what to expect..

Do not listen to the naysayers and whores on talk radio, who say over and over again how they cannot understand this move.. if they have to ask this question, they do not understand the Patriots way of doing business..

We did not make the move, the JEST did. I am sure Revis generally understood his "number"(s) in NE, and the JEST came up with something we did not beat.

Let's say his love for the green is all PR. Do we really think if we promised him 14 million and ONE dollars APY, and another dollar per year guaranteed, that's the end of it?

The "move" is to abstain from the bidding war, with the JEST deal already at or past what the Pats had any intention of doing.

Que sera sera. I hope - only b/c I loves me the Pats/BB - that a book comes out in 20 years about how BB was putting a high public gloss on what he thought of Revis, how he'd been showing silent signs of slowing down at the end, how they had serious discussions of what Revis would look like in 2 years, how Revis guarantees were weighed seriously, and how the Pats brain trust came to the conclusion that you can't do a long-term Revis deal, and then were proven absolutely right as he declined to average play within 2 years after his SB season.

More likely, it's simple: 1 year rental, could not afford more than that in the Pats model, per the quoted post. 1 super-star + solid players. You become a cap issue, you become a cap casualty... makes for off-season tears and post-season appearances.

BTW, the jets just shelled out over 100 million for Revis and Cromartie.

Down south The Dolphins are going to be faced with 29.3 million cap hit for Suh in 2016, right on time for Tannehill's new deal. So two players are going to eat up almost 1/3 of their cap.

Last edited:
Even if the patriots resigned Revis there is no guarantee the team wins another SB like its being portrayed. We barely won WITH him last year. Scraped by at home against the Ravens and were the worst play call in history from losing another SB to the Hawks.

And that's with pretty much everything going right for this team health wise from our core center pieces. Revis/Gronk/Brady/mccourty/Vince etc

Beast Mode from 1 yard out in 2014: 1 for 5. 20% chance and that's against the big package. Carroll got his match-up (for the slant/rub) and he took it. Yes, close game. But at the same time, had the Hawks won it, we would have been an incredibly unlikely circus-catch away from winning it... again.

I refuse to have any part in the "play call" narrative. It's not the first time a team ever threw the ball in a goal-line set. Now if you say Russell Wilson blew that throw, okay. If you say he didn't have the play he thought he had and should have realized it and spiked the ball, I don't think I agree based on how fast everything happens, especially how fast Butler "happened" on that play, but okay. If you tell me that Browner beat Kearse to the punch on the rub part of the route, okay. I am just done with this bullcrap about how they woulda shoulda coulda won but their coach stepped on their collective crank.

Sorry, pet peeve

Beast Mode from 1 yard out in 2014: 1 for 5. 20% chance and that's against the big package. Carroll got his match-up (for the slant/rub) and he took it. Yes, close game. But at the same time, had the Hawks won it, we would have been an incredibly unlikely circus-catch away from winning it... again.

I refuse to have any part in the "play call" narrative. It's not the first time a team ever threw the ball in a goal-line set. Now if you say Russell Wilson blew that throw, okay. If you say he didn't have the play he thought he had and should have realized it and spiked the ball, I don't think I agree based on how fast everything happens, especially how fast Butler "happened" on that play, but okay. If you tell me that Browner beat Kearse to the punch on the rub part of the route, okay. I am just done with this bullcrap about how they woulda shoulda coulda won but their coach stepped on their collective crank.

Sorry, pet peeve

Agree completely. And what the "bad play call" narrative ignores is the fact that the Patriots dominated the Seahawks for 3 quarters of that game. The only period the Seahawks outplayed the Patriots was the third, the other 3 were all Patriots.

Last edited:
Gilbert (and Revis, obviously) are local from where I live, and some people here talk about Gilbert as being some kind of genius who is going to revolutionize the game. I'm pretty sure his first act if elected is to try and rip up the CBA and start fresh with a bunch of new rules that benefit the players in every way. It wouldn't be pretty.

Strike/lockout..no matter what it would technically be or how it would go down, it would be due to Gilbert, who is ready to miss as much time as possible to make the game better for the players in the long run. On top of that, he's also supposedly presenting a collusion case against the owners, which he claims is damning.

Yea I'm all set with Gilbert. Just the way he does business is going to clash with the way the Pats do theirs. He'll frowned upon guys like Brady, who takes more team friendly deals so his team can compete every year.

I have nothing against players that want to cash in when they can, especially guys like a Dan Connolly or a Ryan Wendell, that were late rd picks/undrafted guys that slowly became starters, but this guy (Gilbert) was the leader during all of Revis's holdouts with the Jets.

I just feel like encouraging a guy to hold out, because he feels offended that the $10m a year salary the team is giving him is underpaid compared to the guy that just got $12m deal. I just think that's bad for the sport.

Yea I'm in the group that agrees that the Pats shouldn't have gotten into a bidding war on a guy that's going to be 30 once the season starts, especially with guys like Collins, High tower, Solder, Chandler coming up on contracts, but please spare me the crap about Revis not being valuable or losing a step. That's just crap. The guy is one of the major reasons we won the championship last year. An unbelievable talent, and one of the best defensive backs of all time. Even if he did lose a step, he's still the best CB in the game.

I honestly don't think he's the best in the league. I wouldn't throw a ball anywhere near Sherman. I put Revis right there with him, though, but I really think Sherman right now is on top - with Revis, Haden, and Peterson right there.

Matching their offer would of been insane. He has one of the best contracts in the NFL. 39 guaranteed with a base salary of 16 and 17M a year? For a cornerback? LOL

Yeah right.

It's one thing to spend that kind of dough on a franchise quarterback, because a quarterback touches the ball every offensive down, but a corner can just be avoided. You don't have to throw in his direction.

Nice to have for 12M a year, but not 17M.

The Jets don't win anyway, so what do they care? Revis back will revitalize interest in the Jets and put asses back in their seats. It isn't going to get them a Lombardi.

The Patriots win games in January.

The Jets win headlines in July.

BTW, the jets just shelled out over 100 million for Revis and Cromartie.

Down south The Dolphins are going to be faced with 29.3 million cap hit for Suh in 2016, right on time for Tannehill's new deal. So two players are going to eat up almost 1/3 of their cap.

If that cap number is right, I'm assuming it's front-loaded and if so, if you're a Fins fan, you are thinking of all that money up-front opening up future cap room. The other possibility is that you've counted a bonus as a 2016 hit but that it will be spread over multiple years (?)

I definitely would look askance at paying the guy now, then asking him to perform for several years w/the money on them already spent - way worse than a dead money hit of a few million if you cut him when he no longer produces.

How adorable! The little Jets are so cute by putting Revis's number and the NY area code into a professionally negotiated contract that will go against the salary cap.

I wonder if Belichick will start doing the same thing with playful little ego-stroking bonuses to add an extra exclamation point to his hero-worshipping deals!

I guess an extra 100k or so wouldn't matter to me either if I inherited a fortune from my daddy and didn't work for any of it.

http://nypost.com/2015/03/13/revis-average-salary-14024212-thats-no-coincidence/

Hopefully the first three digits are in reference to the 7 years of sweeping them that we are about to do.

Re-signing Revis will be easy. All we'll do is throw out a 5/80 contract with about 45-50m guaranteed :)

Good for the Jets. They're doing their best to avoid another 3-13 season.

Hopefully the first three digits are in reference to the 7 years of sweeping them that we are about to do.
I think the first two digits represent their offense's per-game point average for the coming season.

Nah, Revis's contract is 3 years, 16 million/year FULLY GUARANTEED.

The 11 and 11 tagged on at the end are only relevant if he's declining. If he's still playing at top corner dollar as 2017, he'll demand a redo or holdout.

Those two years were throw-ons, with NO GUARANTEED money. It's 3/48, and even if he blows a knee and cannot ever play again, he's getting every penny of it, and the Jest cap is eating every penny of it.

Last edited:
New England Patriots - "Where NY Jets go to get a ring"

We will dine out on this forever.

I hate that he's a Jet, I hate him for leaving us for the Jets, but I would never say he isn't talented. Don't know anyone who would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3