PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manish Mehta published the Jets' offer to Revis on Monday before Revis was released

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be minor, but I think back to Woody Johnson calling Bob Kraft to apologize about his tampering.

Or Woody Johnson saying he "misspoke." I mean, the team admitted they tampered, apologized for it, then proceeded to tamper again in the offseason. There has to be a punishment for the Jets - and the Patriots have to receive compensation. They were not allowed to negotiate in good faith with a player under contract, as they expected they would be able to when they signed him to a two year deal.

Again, I wouldn't expect a day 1 or 2 pick, but something has to be addressed. Or Roger is an even bigger joke than I thought.

This may be minor, but I think back to Woody Johnson calling Bob Kraft to apologize about his tampering.

Just what was the purpose of the call? It certainly wasn't to say that he didn't mean anything by it, because he certainly didn't back off in his pursuit of Revis, which appear to be less like tampering and more like stalking.

Was this call an attempt to make his comments appear to the league to have been an innocent slip of the tongue? His subsequent actions belie that.

Exactly. They didn't just tamper with him,once they did so repeatedly until he signed with them. As I have said numerous times this is by far and away the worst case of tampering in NFL history and the sanction needs to reflect that. The jets 1st round pick, no swap needed.

Last edited:
Or Woody Johnson saying he "misspoke." I mean, the team admitted they tampered, apologized for it, then proceeded to tamper again in the offseason. There has to be a punishment for the Jets - and the Patriots have to receive compensation. They were not allowed to negotiate in good faith with a player under contract, as they expected they would be able to when they signed him to a two year deal.

Again, I wouldn't expect a day 1 or 2 pick, but something has to be addressed. Or Roger is an even bigger joke than I thought.

Anything less than their first is a joke IMO. The league crucified the Patriots because they felt that Belichick both ignored and flaunted their warning about camera placement, and what the Jets did in this case was far far worse. They warned Johnson about tampering, he ignored the warning and tampered with one of the best players in football, and he was under contract to a division rival, then they continued to tamper with that player right up until they actually signed him. People can look at Goodell as cynically as they want, I don't blame them one bit, but don't conflate that with the crime and what should be the appropriate punishment for it. The Jets first round pick is the only appropriate sanction, and in truth when compared to the sanctions against the Patriots for having a camera in the wrong place that's a slap on the wrist.

The only way the Pats get a day one or two pick is if the league finds proof that the Jets were negotiating directly with Revis the days before he was released. The public comments by Woody are too minor for that. They would need to show that they actually were negotiating with Revis prior to him becoming a free agent. If they find evidence of that, the league might come down hard on them.

The only way the Pats get a day one or two pick is if the league finds proof that the Jets were negotiating directly with Revis the days before he was released. The public comments by Woody are too minor for that. They would need to show that they actually were negotiating with Revis prior to him becoming a free agent. If they find evidence of that, the league might come down hard on them.

And the only thing that points to that being a possibility is the report that the league has asked certain teams to hang on to phone and e-mail records, because they're going to be used in the investigation into the tampering issues. I highly doubt they're actually going to find any real damning evidence though. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I agree - I'm not even sure the Jets would be dumb enough to let there be actual evidence of that, but let's hope we get pleasantly surprised. Again, tweeted a picture of Revis in their office in broad daylight on Monday gives me hope they really were as brash and stupid as we'd need to be to get the highest compensation possible.

The Jets first round pick is the only appropriate sanction, and in truth when compared to the sanctions against the Patriots for having a camera in the wrong place that's a slap on the wrist.

I agree it's hypocritical of Goodell - but I don't think it's necessarily right that tampering (which we all agree is rampant) yield loss of a first round pick. The punishment the Patriots received for Spygate, and the flogging they took publicly for the non-controversy that turned out to be deflate gate, were obscene. In this case, the Jets tampered with a top 10 talent in the league. That is as big a deal as tampering can get. Do I hope Goodell is that harsh for the Jets? Part of me does, yes. But on the whole I'd rather he just not be a complete neanderthal, and that the NFL were run by competent people.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Kraft's office this week. ;)

Id also love to be a fly in Goodell's office this week....LOL

I can imagine the conversations going on...

0719244001410369687_filepicker.jpg

Rob, clearly the evidence is showing that the Jets tampering went far beyond the idiot owner's lip slip. The parameters of Revis's deal with the Jets had to have been hammered out with Revis' agents long before Revis became a FA Tuesday at 4pm. You don't need the a 3 month mulit-million dollar Welles investigation to figure THAT out.

Think about it, why would the Pats have dropped out of the bidding on Monday if a there hadn't been a deal already on the table. In fact how could they drop out of the bidding at ALL! On Monday there isn't supposed to BE any "bidding". Yet clearly there was.

So you may want to slough this off with a "everybody is doing it" comment. But it's been a lot MORE than that, Rob. This has been a continual series of tampering acts by an organization that has already been formally warned against this kind of behavior. To punish them with swapping a mid round pick, or giving the Pats al low round pick, sends a clear message that the league is NOT going to enforce their own specific rules. Its also a clear message that the league has different rules for different teams as far as enforcement goes.

....And why NO one in the local media refuses to keep pounding on this issue offends me. Mike Reiss should be ashamed to work for an organization that will on one hand, feel free to slander a franchise over nothing, while CHOOSING to ignore another organization's blatant disregard of the rules. The level of hypocrisy by ESPN is monumental and can't be defended

I can understand the Pats keeping a low profile for the moment. It would sound too much like sour grapes to attack the Jets publically. However if behind the scenes, they aren't pounding the table for some justice here, then they will earn my distain and deserve what they get.

Would it be a minor offense for Bob McNair to announce he will give Andrew Luck as much money as he wants?

If the only sanction on the Jets is a mid round pick then every team who needs a QB should just start saying they will pay Luck whatever he wants. Why not, a fourth rounder for Luck is well worth it.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering, when did the NFL change their ruling criteria back to absolute proof? Last I knew the Commissioner said he only needs circumstantial evidence to sanction teams, so why is that different in this case?

When did the Pats follow up with Devin McCourty, that resulted in McCourty staying with the Pats? Wasn't that Monday night?

Did the Pats contact McCourty because they knew, or suspected, that they were losing Revis and they wanted to ensure they kept McCourty?

How would the Pats think they were going to lose Revis if no one could legally make offers to him yet?

The next day the Pats also made moves to let Browner go as well, which seems directly related to losing Revis.

Looks like there was considerable damage done to the Pats as a result of this tampering.

The league has requested communications records of teams who were reported to have deals all worked out with teams in violation of the anti-tampering policy, but didn't name which teams.

We're the Rats one of them? Seems to me they may not have since the Revis deal wasn't announced during that period; did they announce any other deals?

I'm sure the Omissioner would prefer to keep the Rats out of any investigations, but he certainly should have requested their communications in light of the continuing Revis tampering allegations.

Thoughts on this topic.
If Woody and the Jets knew they were going to get nailed for tampering why not continue down the path and get the information and offer out to the Revis folks anyway? You can't get hung twice. They fact is that they commented on their lust for Revis and ultimately signed him is a case that is indisputable. The Jet's beat reporter had the numbers prior to 4:00.

As far as the minor triviality of the "offense"; it seems to me a certain Team called the league and reported the Pats had taken sideline film a few feet from where they were allowed.....by League edict a broken rule! That cost BB and the Pats money large and a first rounder. Is this level of sin by the Jets more forgivable? Is the the fact that Woody knew he was wrong, mitigate the transgression? Does the fact that not only did he jeopardize a possible resigning of one of the top five players in the NFL, he went out, followed through and poured money at him, make this less than a sideline transgression?

Robo Cousin, please tell me if you disagree that the first round and dollar loss over our film arrogance of a few feet, was in anyway more against League rule than this "mispeak"? And in the end, Woody got his man anyway. Roger blows this off and I think Kraft has proof that an X-Jet employee holds Teams to different standards to the rest of humanity.

Filming incorrectly according to League rule vs. "Hey Revis camp, we want you!!! (shhhh....you are still under contract but you need to know my wallet is pretty fat)". Tampering and actually obtaining said "Tamperee" which is also a League rule, and oh by the way involves one of the top talents in the NFL.

Let's see....Incorrect geographical placement for obtaining possible hand signal film in a stadium as BB said, where 80,000 people can watch the same thing, or dislodging an employee under contract who is one of the best in class.

If BB would have apologized for moving too close when he filmed, would Roger have given us a pass? Nyet!

If I were a drama/suspense writer I would think that if BB knew he would not have the CAP flexibility to sign Revis, perhaps he traps the Jets for the world to see and Roger can't let the offense slip by like the Pats got nailed by the Jets for film work that was a no-no...."what the hell let's see if we can get something".

A swap of first round picks would please everyone here and I am sure at Gillette? The Rats get to keep a first rounder albeit #32. Still a better deal than we got hosed.
DW Toys

Last edited:
I'm just wondering, when did the NFL change their ruling criteria back to absolute proof? Last I knew the Commissioner said he only needs circumstantial evidence to sanction teams, so why is that different in this case?
And they have absolute proof of a certain level of tampering. Circumstantial evidence should be more than enough to increase the punishment.

If you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar and cookies are missing...

The NFL and media made a HUGE deal out of 'Deflategate', where's 'Tampergate'?? Almost zero press. Which goes to show, unless the team is really hated, nobody cares. Let the Jets cheat all they want, they are not 'high-profile' enough to stir up controversy even after obviously breaking the league rules.

The NFL and media made a HUGE deal out of 'Deflategate', where's 'Tampergate'?? Almost zero press. Which goes to show, unless the team is really hated, nobody cares. Let the Jets cheat all they want, they are not 'high-profile' enough to stir up controversy even after obviously breaking the league rules.

Does it make a difference also for the NY-based media to not want to prop up the Pats claims vs their own beloved Rats?

Could be from internal memos not seen by revis

The NFL and media made a HUGE deal out of 'Deflategate', where's 'Tampergate'??

The media made a huge deal about DFG, certainly. The NFL didn't. They've barely addressed it, and they never whipped it up in their own statements. (I do agree they were intentionally leaking stuff, though).

As far as the minor triviality of the "offense"; it seems to me a certain Team called the league and reported the Pats had taken sideline film a few feet from where they were allowed.....by League edict a broken rule! That cost BB and the Pats money large and a first rounder. Is this level of sin by the Jets more forgivable? Is the the fact that Woody knew he was wrong, mitigate the transgression? Does the fact that not only did he jeopardize a possible resigning of one of the top five players in the NFL, he went out, followed through and poured money at him, make this less than a sideline transgression?

Can't have it both ways. Can't complain about how Goodell is an idiot and overpunishes teams, then complain that NE was overpunished, then say "because NE was overpunished NYJ should be, too". Rather than have the Goodell stupidity continue I would prefer to see teams punished properly. If that means someone gets a seemingly lighter punishment because of the transition to getting punishment levels properly reset, so be it. Otherwise one can never get punishments back to sanity. So sure, punish NYJ more than NE should have been punished for Cameragate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes