PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manish Mehta published the Jets' offer to Revis on Monday before Revis was released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a Tweet he posted on Monday:

Mentioned last wk Jets had serious internal talks re: Revis. Offer likely 2get it done: 48M in 1st 3yrs (40 full gtd) http://nydn.us/1NdA1Og

https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN/status/575036569477869568

From his article:

There won’t be any hometown discounts for a team that hasn’t made the playoffs for four consecutive years — Revis understands the business of sports better than most athletes — so Johnson needs to make an offer to clearly separate the Jets from perennial winners like the Patriots.

So, what’s a strong deal?

The Jets would be wise to offer a five- or six-year contract with the idea of Revis retiring in green and white. The maximum value of the contract is largely meaningless. The real guarantees in the first three years should be the focus for both sides.

Revis signed a six-year deal ($16 million per year) with the Buccaneers after theJets traded him away before the 2013 draft. A multi-year deal with $48 million over the first three years, including at least $40 million in full guarantees, would be a strong and fair offer from the Jets.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...oody-reverse-darrelle-revis-article-1.2135214

This looks to be a pretty decent smoking gun for tampering. What Mehta published 24 hours before Revis was released is what he signed for. The Jets cannot tell the media their bargaining numbers even off the record.

Good point. The Jets also tweeted a picture of Revis in their office smiling in broad daylight. If that was a current photo, and the guy was in-house yesterday before being released, that adds to the charges.

I agree with your overall point that tampering is rampant and often inconsequential. However, if we say tampering is akin to going 75 in a 65, the Jets are doing about 120 swerving on the freeway right now. This is maybe the most egregious case of tampering yet. He was not even a free agent until 4pm yesterday.

Good point. The Jets also tweeted a picture of Revis in their office smiling in broad daylight. If that was a current photo, and the guy was in-house yesterday before being released, that adds to the charges.

I agree with your overall point that tampering is rampant and often inconsequential. However, if we say tampering is akin to going 75 in a 65, the Jets are doing about 120 swerving on the freeway right now. This is maybe the most egregious case of tampering yet. He was not even a free agent until 4pm yesterday.

I don't think tampering is a big deal as most (not that it isn't a big deal, but everyone does it) and I think the league looks the other way, but if the League does find that they tampered with Revis over the weekend after his stupid comments a few months ago, it does become a bigger deal. It becomes a pattern of tampering with the same player over time. Much different that just one incident of foot in mouth syndrome.

The part I love the most is at the end of the season, the Jets entire organization and fanbase will rips their collective hair follicles out of their heads, curse the gods of the NFL, contemplate whether life is worth living, and spend their time in January rooting against the Pat riots in state of hellish agony.

The Jets have offered evidence of mega tampering to the league on a silver platter. We have hit the jackpot and if the league doesn't swap our first for theirs then I will be mega p*ssed.

I don't think it will be that high, but it could be a swap of a second or a third.

The part I love the most is at the end of the season, the Jets entire organization and fanbase will rips their collective hair follicles out of their heads, curse the gods of the NFL, contemplate whether life is worth living, and spend their time in January rooting against the Pat riots in state of hellish agony.
lol love it.

Please have some sense of proportionality. It's not like this is as serious as playing a football game with a ball inflated to only 12 PSI. I am sure Goodell will contract with a league-connected law firm to do a complete investigation of these tampering charges. We can expect results sometime around Labor Day, maybe Halloween.

I don't think it will be that high, but it could be a swap of a second or a third.

Only a 2nd or 3rd?

I guess you are suggesting the Rats have to return Revis to the Pats and don't get to keep him then.

The jets didn't even bother to try and hide what they were doing, they see losing a mid rd pick as just the price of getting Revis back, and the only pain they will feel is if their first is taken and they get no shot at Marriota. The 6th overall is the only punishment that's acceptable.

This might have been a guesstimate by Mehta, it might not be something he was told by Jet's brass. Just playing Devil's advocate. But anyone holding out hope that we are going to get anything in return for the Jet's tampering, well, I would tell you to not get too hopeful. NOTHING will happen. The NFL hasn't done anything about rampant tampering during the FA process this year.

They'll just say it was Revis' camp leaking out what Revis was looking for from the Patriots and that they had no control over that.

This might have been a guesstimate by Mehta, it might not be something he was told by Jet's brass. Just playing Devil's advocate. But anyone holding out hope that we are going to get anything in return for the Jet's tampering, well, I would tell you to not get too hopeful. NOTHING will happen. The NFL hasn't done anything about rampant tampering during the FA process this year.

The jets tampered with a first,ballot HOF player,under contract to a division rival. And they didn't do,it once they did it repeatedly until they signed the guy they wanted. It doesn't get worse,than this and they deserve the,maximum punishment.

Only a 2nd or 3rd?

I guess you are suggesting the Rats have to return Revis to the Pats and don't get to keep him then.

Unfortunately, the league doesn't take tampering seriously. Our only hope is that they might want to make an example of a team to stop the rampant tampering. I don't like the League being reactionary like that, but the only way the Pats benefit is that way.

They'll just say it was Revis' camp leaking out what Revis was looking for from the Patriots and that they had no control over that.

But that wasn't the Patriots offer they reported it was the jets.

Tampering happens all the time. People need to get over it. Getting the Jets 1st round pick is absurd.

Tampering happens all the time. People need to get over it. Getting the Jets 1st round pick is absurd.

Feel free to get over it. Their first is the only just sanction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back