PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Darius Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Butler is an outstanding tackler, and yes he can hit.

If you look at his tackle totals, and remember the early games, it's true that both Butler and McCourty were making lots of tackles. Unfortunately that was because of good runs by running backs. Butler's tackle totals are pretty high.

I don't think though that he's much of a hitter. What's crazy so far is that Butler excelled in college because of his ball skills, and even last year he had a few picks for the Patriots. In the Jets and Bengals plays he was burned a few times but he also made a few spectacular plays, one where he went flying over the middle of the field and made an interception. It was called back though because Connolly was holding. It could be Belichick went away from him because he lost confidence.

I think it might have something to do with the fact we just played two very physical offenses that like to run the ball. Arrington is much more physical than Butler.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Butler become the starter when playing more finesse teams.

I think it might have something to do with the fact we just played two very physical offenses that like to run the ball. Arrington is much more physical than Butler.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Butler become the starter when playing more finesse teams.

Finesse teams ... in the NFL???

WTF is a finesse team ... this isn't cricket or lawn bowling.

Well its all relative...but we can use the term "less physical" if it pleases you :)

The only reason Butler will start again is if he accepts the coaching offered and plays the way they want him to play.. no matter who the opposition is.

If he chooses to play like a knucklehead, he will not get much time...

You're right. He's our MVP, All-Pro corner right there. Which defensive player gives 3 wins to his team all by himself? I can say Arrington is a once in a lifetime player.

I think you love him more than I do. I think he is markedly better than Butler was in that spot this year, and better than Wilhite was in that spot last year.

But I can understand your enthusiasm, he is great in run support, and for the first three games of his career on defense, I agree with you, he has stopped the bleeding we saw in the first two weeks.

Is that... funny?
Just because our second year corner, which we drafted in the beggining of the second round had a bad start this season, you're already making Wilhite kind of statements about him?
He looked promising in the end of last season, it's just that his confidence is down.

Wilhite is getting regular, meaningful minutes on this defense. Butler played what? 2 plays all day ?

I think you love him more than I do. I think he is markedly better than Butler was in that spot this year, and better than Wilhite was in that spot last year.

But I can understand your enthusiasm, he is great in run support, and for the first three games of his career on defense, I agree with you, he has stopped the bleeding we saw in the first two weeks.

Except for the fact that he hasn't. He's been a sieve back there. Again, I'm wondering what games you've been watching. Fitzpatrick of the Bills threw on him repeatedly, Davone Bess had a great game against him, and he got burned by Boldin badly on Sunday.

Most of you guys have no patience. Do any of you remember Asante's first year here?

Like they did with McCourty for about 45 minutes yesterday?

So far the difference between McCourty and Butler could not be any more clear.

If you think they somehow look the same you must be watching another game.

I remember the game the Pats lost to the phins last season. Near the end every play was at Butler and the Phins completed every time. They just kept calling the same play over and over again and butler could not stop it. And if I'm not mistaken it was a tight end he was covering, not even a reciever.

Butler seems to almost always be in position yet seems to never make the play.

To compare him to McCourty is laughable, When Butler is opposite McCourty teams don't even look McCourty's way.

In fact, McCourty has started seeing more passes come his way since Arrington stepped in. Not saying Arrington is a pro bowler. Far from it. And he does get victimized. More then any of us would like to see.

But the way butler was playing, teams could just line up every down and thow at who ever he was covering

Last edited:
Let's hope both Arrington and Butler continue to develop. Butler for the outside and Arrington into the nickel.

I think the situation is pretty simple. Belichick is reinforcing accountability in his players. Study hard, practice hard, play smart, play tough, do your job...you will get your snaps. Lose focus, make mental mistakes, get dumb penalties, play soft...you get to watch the game. Players also have to be accountable for their production. Do everything right but don't produce on Sunday, you better rent instead of buy.

Meriweather has been delivered the message. TBC and Butler too. AD, Burgess, Moss, Maroney...the casualty list is long and probably isn't done yet.

Belichick probably won't get a lot of Christmas cards from the locker room, but the culture started to slip last year. The current environment enables players like Deaderick, Woodhead, Connolly, BJGE, Ninkovich, Fletcher and even Arrington to raise their game and make key contributions.

So that really means that Butler's fate is in his hands. He obviously has the physical talent to be a quality starter. If he spent today studying film, doing some drill work, maybe hitting the Jugs machine...his snap count should increase sooner rather than later. If he was taking naps in between games of Madden, then he will probably be taking Wheatley's spot on the inactive list.

Let's hope both Arrington and Butler continue to develop. Butler for the outside and Arrington into the nickel.

How can a player develop when he isnt on the field?

McCourty however is playing the rest of his game at a much higher level, and I saw a highlight yesterday of him getting his head around and
and saw the yellow flags on the ground....

I like McCourty, but I've yet to see him turn his head around. He does great in run support, and when approaching a WR where he can see the play in front of him, but if it is behind him, he just doesn't turn his head.

He's a rook. He'll get better as the year goes on, and so will Arrington.

How can a player develop when he isnt on the field?
Film and practice. First you show you can do it in practice, and they you get to do in on the field.

Look at how Brady developed between 2000 and 2001.

Film and practice. First you show you can do it in practice, and they you get to do in on the field.

Look at how Brady developed between 2000 and 2001.

This makes no sense considering Butler played a considerable amount last season. Butler knows how to play the position, he was in the right position most of the time he just wasnt making the plays. The only way to really get better is getting playing time, practice is really nothing like what you see on the field every Sunday.

So far the difference between McCourty and Butler could not be any more clear.

If you think they somehow look the same you must be watching another game.

I remember the game the Pats lost to the phins last season. Near the end every play was at Butler and the Phins completed every time. They just kept calling the same play over and over again and butler could not stop it. And if I'm not mistaken it was a tight end he was covering, not even a reciever.

Butler seems to almost always be in position yet seems to never make the play.

To compare him to McCourty is laughable, When Butler is opposite McCourty teams don't even look McCourty's way.

In fact, McCourty has started seeing more passes come his way since Arrington stepped in. Not saying Arrington is a pro bowler. Far from it. And he does get victimized. More then any of us would like to see.

But the way butler was playing, teams could just line up every down and thow at who ever he was covering

Butler in that Phins game last year had a few key passes (on 3rd and 4th down) deflected and shut down his receiver for more than half the game, but yes you're right, at one point they were throwing at Butler (Bodden got hurt earlier in the game so BB flipped receivers and had Butler in Bodden's spot). At one point, Butler was playing well off the ball (the Patriots had a good lead at the time). When the game was tight, he played pretty well, and in fact, most of the yards through the air for Miami were at others. When they moved Butler back to a zone with a lead and he gave up a big cushion. But after that sequence, he played up and broke up a couple plays.

Below I pasted all the plays Butler was involved in.

3-32-MIA 36 (7:22) New QB - #7 - C. Henne. (Shotgun) C.Henne pass short right to D.Bess to MIA 41 for 5 yards
(D.Butler).

On 3rd and 32, he gave up 5 yards.

2-4-MIA 18 (14:12) C.Henne pass incomplete deep left to B.Hartline.
Timeout #2 by NE at 14:06. (D. Butler)

3-4-MIA 18 (14:06) C.Henne pass deep right to G.Camarillo to MIA 47 for 29 yards (D.Butler). P3

This was the biggest play of the game that he gave up.

1-10-MIA 47 (13:42) (No Huddle, Shotgun) C.Henne pass short right to D.Bess to NE 47 for 6 yards (D.Butler).

1-10-MIA 6 (1:55) C.Henne pass short left to G.Camarillo to MIA 15 for 9 yards (D.Butler).

1-10-MIA 20 (1:26) (No Huddle, Shotgun) C.Henne pass incomplete short right to D.Bess. (D. Butler)

1-10-MIA 31 (1:13) (Shotgun) C.Henne pass short right to D.Bess to MIA 41 for 10 yards (D.Butler). P11

1-10-MIA 48 (11:53) C.Henne pass incomplete short right to G.Camarillo. (D. Butler)

1-9-NE 9 (10:54) C.Henne pass incomplete short right to B.Hartline. (D. Butler)

2-2-MIA 44 (8:04) C.Henne pass incomplete deep right to G.Camarillo. (D. Butler)

1-10-MIA 3 (15:00) C.Henne pass short right to G.Camarillo pushed ob at MIA 13 for 10 yards (D.Butler). P19

3-1-MIA 22 (13:20) C.Henne pass incomplete short right to G.Camarillo. (D. Butler)

1-10-MIA 20 (9:39) (Shotgun) C.Henne pass incomplete short right to G.Camarillo. (D. Butler)

3-10-MIA 20 (9:28) C.Henne pass incomplete short right to B.Hartline (D.Butler).

1-10-MIA 38 (7:09) C.Henne pass incomplete deep right to G.Camarillo. (D. Butler)

4-2-NE 39 (4:50) (Shotgun) C.Henne pass incomplete short middle to D.Bess (D.Butler).

4-6-NE 41 (2:09) (Shotgun) C.Henne pass short right to G.Camarillo to NE 28 for 13 yards (D.Butler). P24

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News