PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Darius Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Butler's stepping up this weekend. He's gonna be targets like crazy, and I hope he's got safety help over the top all day. But I DO expect him to step up and perform.

Butler's stepping up this weekend. He's gonna be targets like crazy, and I hope he's got safety help over the top all day. But I DO expect him to step up and perform.

Let's hope he will use the experience of being demoted use some controlled aggression and play fast and focused. There is also the possibility that his morale could be adversely affected by being benched.

It could be a long day for us @ LCB. We'll prob see the return of the soft zone if he starts that's for sure.

I hope you're right. I was glad when we drafted him and still have (some) faith. I do remember seeing some references to the DBs being off in their own world in the locker room last year, but I got the impression that was more Springs and Meriweather; hadn't heard it about Butler. He seems like a sincere guy, based on his Twitter posts.

Wheatley also available (I think) so if Arrington is limited, we'll get a good sense of what BB thinks of Butler and Wheatley.

So maybe no/limited Arrington, no Page. Wouldn't be a Pats season without a rash of DB injuries!

Let's hope he will use the experience of being demoted use some controlled aggression and play fast and focused. There is also the possibility that his morale could be adversely affected by being benched.

It could be a long day for us @ LCB. We'll prob see the return of the soft zone if he starts that's for sure.

If his morale is down. Then we know he's not going to cut it. It should be motivation to get better. If he treats it as a downer, then he's not a competitor and our guy. Time will tell. I haven't written him off yet. Many young cb's struggle early in their careers before the light comes on.

I'm hoping to be in Philly tomorrow. A buddy got tix for Gm 7 of Phillies series. Need to win tonight. I'm a Sox fan. But, I think it would be neat to see a Game 7. Gonna have to set the DVR for Pats game.

I just think things have a way of sorting themselves out. Sort of how the season itself is unfolding right now. But what was Bill gonna do, just keep benching Butler week after week with literally NO action at all? For playing two or 3 bad games? He doesnt see the field at all? With Arrington dealing with this relatively minor injury, it opens the door back up for Butler to get out there and prove himself again. Its not as if the kid cant play. His confidence snowballed in the wrong direction in those couple of early season games. But this young D will no doubt collectively help lift him back up. This is the right D for him to be making young mistakes, because most of the D is young, so he'll get plenty of support. And San Diego is seriously banged up, so its not as if he's going out there to face off with Chad Johnson or TO or even Edwards. He'll be dealing with Patrick Crayton or Buster Davis. If he cant handle those guys, then he's really got problems.

I just think things have a way of sorting themselves out. Sort of how the season itself is unfolding right now. But what was Bill gonna do, just keep benching Butler week after week with literally NO action at all? For playing two or 3 bad games? He doesnt see the field at all? With Arrington dealing with this relatively minor injury, it opens the door back up for Butler to get out there and prove himself again. Its not as if the kid cant play. His confidence snowballed in the wrong direction in those couple of early season games. But this young D will no doubt collectively help lift him back up. This is the right D for him to be making young mistakes, because most of the D is young, so he'll get plenty of support. And San Diego is seriously banged up, so its not as if he's going out there to face off with Chad Johnson or TO or even Edwards. He'll be dealing with Patrick Crayton or Buster Davis. If he cant handle those guys, then he's really got problems.

At this early point in the season, Braylon Edwards gets a vote for me for All-Pro first team, despite the fact that he has a DUI.

At this early point in the season, Braylon Edwards gets a vote for me for All-Pro first team, despite the fact that he has a DUI.

:confused:

Come again? Edwards is 51st in receptions, 25th in yards, 29th in YPA, and is in a 4 way tie for 9th in TDs. He hasn't had 100 yards receiving yet in a game. By what measure do you consider him an All-Pro receiver? Because in my eyes he isn't even close.

Dear God, No.

VS the Jets, he had 2 PI calls and gave up a TD plus a 2 point conversion against Mark "Overated" Sanchez. Not too shabby for one days work. :rolleyes:

Rivers will torch Butler like prime rib.

Dear God, No.

VS the Jets, he had 2 PI calls and gave up a TD plus a 2 point conversion against Mark "Overated" Sanchez. Not too shabby for one days work. :rolleyes:

Yeah, let me be completely rational and lose all hope in the guy because of one bad game. Or two. The Chargers will have no receiver on their team anywhere near as good as Edwards. So, lets just wait and see.

It could be Wheatley now that he is back for a few weeks practicing or Butler but it does not look like Arrington. We know the young guys are going to have a few rough spots - I remember Law and Samuel getting beat as well - so let's not be too negative while staying realistic.

:confused:

Come again? Edwards is 51st in receptions, 25th in yards, 29th in YPA, and is in a 4 way tie for 9th in TDs. He hasn't had 100 yards receiving yet in a game. By what measure do you consider him an All-Pro receiver? Because in my eyes he isn't even close.

He's been clutch, he's been Sanchez's savior, he doesn't have many drops. He's playing like the #3 pick.

The Jets are not a pass happy offense. I'm not going to hold that against Edwards.

So, in other words, Rivers will have limited effectiveness against Butler. Prime Rib is usually served rare or medium rare, untorched.

I think the situation is pretty simple. Belichick is reinforcing accountability in his players. Study hard, practice hard, play smart, play tough, do your job...you will get your snaps. Lose focus, make mental mistakes, get dumb penalties, play soft...you get to watch the game. Players also have to be accountable for their production. Do everything right but don't produce on Sunday, you better rent instead of buy.

Meriweather has been delivered the message. TBC and Butler too. AD, Burgess, Moss, Maroney...the casualty list is long and probably isn't done yet.

Belichick probably won't get a lot of Christmas cards from the locker room, but the culture started to slip last year. The current environment enables players like Deaderick, Woodhead, Connolly, BJGE, Ninkovich, Fletcher and even Arrington to raise their game and make key contributions.

So that really means that Butler's fate is in his hands. He obviously has the physical talent to be a quality starter. If he spent today studying film, doing some drill work, maybe hitting the Jugs machine...his snap count should increase sooner rather than later. If he was taking naps in between games of Madden, then he will probably be taking Wheatley's spot on the inactive list.

Very good.

He's been clutch, he's been Sanchez's savior, he doesn't have many drops. He's playing like the #3 pick.

The Jets are not a pass happy offense. I'm not going to hold that against Edwards.

You could say that about any number of Patriots receivers under BB in the pre- (and I bet post-) Moss era. It's good for the team, but not All-Pro material, generally.

Yeah, let me be completely rational and lose all hope in the guy because of one bad game. Or two. The Chargers will have no receiver on their team anywhere near as good as Edwards. So, lets just wait and see.

Ha, ya two bad games.

A good QB can make average WRs look good.

So, in other words, Rivers will have limited effectiveness against Butler. Prime Rib is usually served rare or medium rare, untorched.

Thats right.

A quarter or two should be enough cooking time before Butler gets pulled off the grille.

Thats right.

A quarter or two should be enough cooking time before Butler gets pulled off the grille.

That's still better than the quick burnt Delmonico we've been getting lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back