PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dallas News: Tate Worth the Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Nice little write-up on the Tater-Tot. Count me excited to see what this kid can do. Seems like the more Brandon's we get, the better. Kinda like 80's movies and Corey's.

Tate worth the wait for the New England Patriots | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News

Excerpts:
When you build a roster as talented as the New England Patriots, you can afford to wait on a player or two.

And when you have an abundance of draft picks, as the Patriots did last April, you can swing for the fences on a few.

The Patriots did just that when they claimed North Carolina wide receiver Brandon Tate in the third round with the 83rd overall selection. He was on his way to becoming a first-round selection last fall until a severe knee injury ended his senior season in the sixth game against Notre Dame. He tore both the anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments in his right knee.

The more Tate plays, the better he’ll play. He’s still in the process of knocking the rust off his skills. Patience will pay off in this case for New England. Tate likely will wind up as the draft-day steal of the third round.

Last edited:
The infamous "they" say that Tate would have been a first round pick if he didn't tear his ACL. I don't know who "they" are, but in this case, I like their thinking.

The infamous "they" say that Tate would have been a first round pick if he didn't tear his ACL. I don't know who "they" are, but in this case, I like their thinking.

I don't know how college stats play into draft status, but I do know I've heard postulation before that he would have been a first rounder if he weren't a dented can.

He's already in my Top 5 favourite Patriots.

The guy looks very good. Seeing him live in the flesh made me think a lot of him.

He seemed to be geeing up the rest of the team. Also seems to have a bit of a buddy group with the young secondary guys.

And unlike Edelman in his first few games, Tate was told twice in all of his snaps to get on the line properly. By Moss. His return skills are going to be vital as well.

Well he's had a good three weeks of practice now to translate what he learned from the playbook out on the field. We might see a few passes thrown his way this week in the action that he does see. I'm pulling big time for him, as I'm sure most of us are.

lets see what he does in his first game w/ real practice time....

Reiss posted the other day that Mc***, I mean McShay, had him at 36 overall before the injury.

How nice would it be to have a productive young wide out with good wheels on this team?
If this guy can develop it will be huge for us!

When I read it from Rick Gosselin like this, it definitely carries some weight.

The WR a lot of folks here coveted in that part of the draft, Mike Wallace, went to Pittsburgh with the very next pick (and is looking great). Here's hoping Tate blows him away.

Gosselin is a well respected and educated sports writer,so take it with some hope hes right.

I don't know how college stats play into draft status, but I do know I've heard postulation before that he would have been a first rounder if he weren't a dented can.

I recall this being the general consensus at the time, as well. And I now heartily welcome any and all "steal of the draft" prognostications! :singing:

Uh oh... steal... here comes "Draftgate" :rolleyes:

Return men have tipped a few games their teams way this year. Belichick said 1 TD on a return statistically favors that you will win that game. We've had some great ones here in the last 10 years ... Troy Brown, Ellis Hobbs, and Wes Welker. Let's face it - we haven't had that lightening in the bottle yet this year, hopefully we soon will ... knock on wood he stays healthy.;)

I know I am going to get blasted for this, but to me .... Tate reminded me of Chad Jackson. I didn't see any burst on kick-off returns or good separation from the DB's. Running a wrong route and causing a interception that is very similar to Chad Jackson.

For what it's worth, I think Mel Kiper had him in the second round and rising pre injury. Can't swear by that tho.

Last edited:
I know I am going to get blasted for this, but to me .... Tate reminded me of Chad Jackson. I didn't see any burst on kick-off returns or good separation from the DB's. Running a wrong route and causing a interception that is very similar to Chad Jackson.

That's just plain dumb ... to liken a kid to someone who was here several years? The kid is coming off major injury and it's not like he's been compared to Deion Sanders or Devin Hester or anything. If he's better than what we have had so far this year then we will be a better team. So, all he has to do is be better than Maroney at returns and that should not be too hard. We don't really need him to receive much this year.

Last edited:

IN the one whole game Tate has played. Wow, overreact much! Any contribution from Tate this season is a bonus. Next year with a full offseason workout program and training camp is when you can start to measure Tate's results

Last edited:

This is 100% flat out dead wrong. Tate has exceptional burst to compliment his linear speed. He cuts well, has good vision, and should develop into a solid player at the position.

He had a step on the coverage and Brady underthrew him for a pick.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk