PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Pats' philosophy: Spread the wealth

Status
Not open for further replies.
He wasn't good in 2005, why the hell would they extend a mediocre CB? Should they extend Wilhite right now?

Yes, Samuel always wanted more than his value every year. The Pats tried to renew his deal in 2005 and they couldn't get close. When he was average, he wanted above average money. When he was above average, he wanted elite money. If the Pats knew he was going to be above average when he wanted above average money, they would have redone his deal. But I bet he would be demanding a new contract right now. That is the Eagles way. They resign players 2-3 years into their rookie deal and then two years later, the player becomes a lockerroom cancer (Lito Sheppard, Sheldon Brown).

chowda has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to our Super Bowl teams, but he's dead on about Samuel. Leigh Bodden, though a solid corner, is not Asante. To say otherwise is pretty ridiculous. Gotta love the hardcore player homers trying to convince themselves that Bodden is a better CB than Samuel.

He wasn't good in 2005, why the hell would they extend a mediocre CB? Should they extend Wilhite right now?

He was pretty good in 2005, he made some big plays for the Pats and led the team in pass defensed (18) and was tied for the team lead in INTs (3). I can remember he made some really big plays in the playoff game vs the Jaguars.

I was a big Samuel booster before anyone liked him, but i think Bodden is a better all around cornerback. When exactly did Samuel go from a decent looking fourth rounder to Champ Bailey? There's a lot more to playing cornerback than interception totals.

I was a big Samuel booster before anyone liked him, but i think Bodden is a better all around cornerback. When exactly did Samuel go from a decent looking fourth rounder to Champ Bailey? There's a lot more to playing cornerback than interception totals.

Maybe I'm not understanding you. So... Samuel is just a "decent 4th rounder" now? That's news to me.

chowda has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to our Super Bowl teams, but he's dead on about Samuel. Leigh Bodden, though a solid corner, is not Asante. To say otherwise is pretty ridiculous. Gotta love the hardcore player homers trying to convince themselves that Bodden is a better CB than Samuel.

Samuel is better than Bodden. No doubt. Samuel just isn't worth the money he was paid by the Eagles.

Maybe I'm not understanding you. So... Samuel is just a "decent 4th rounder" now? That's news to me.

All right, I reread and see your misunderstanding. I wrote about his career and said when did he go from his early promise to a superstar, to paraphrase. I mentioned I have always liked his game before others did.

He's not reached champ Bailey or Ty Law level and neither has Bodden. Neither ever will likely. I think he and Bodden are different, but on the same level. Very good, not great NFl cornerbacks. I think Asante is a better ball hawk, I think Bodden is better all around.

It was describing a hypothetical continuum. Steps implied on the way were "wow, this guy is really good for a fourth rounder now that he's not dropping everything that hit his hands"

In his first camp, he was a decent looking 4th rounder. When did he become Champ Bailey? He didn't Sarcasm. There are few hall of fame CBs.

He has become a very good NFL cornerback. Does that clear it up?

Last edited:
Samuel is better than Bodden. No doubt. Samuel just isn't worth the money he was paid by the Eagles.

This I can agree with. I never wanted to pay him what the Eagles paid him. But to try to convince yourself and, much worse, others that Bodden is a better CB (like some are trying to do) is ridiculous.

All right, I reread and see your misunderstanding. I wrote about his career and said when did he go from his early promise to a superstar, to paraphrase. I mentioned I have always liked his game before others did.

He's not reached champ Bailey or Ty Law level and neither has Bodden. Neither ever will likely. I think he and Bodden are different, but on the same level. Very good, not great NFl cornerbacks. I think Asante is a better ball hawk, I think Bodden is better all around.

It was describing a hypothetical continuum. Steps implied on the way were "wow, this guy is really good for a fourth rounder now that he's not dropping everything that hit his hands"

In his first camp, he was a decent looking 4th rounder. When did he become Champ Bailey? He didn't Sarcasm. There are few hall of fame CBs.

He has become a very good NFL cornerback. Does that clear it up?

talk about mincing and twisting words.........to even attempt to imply that bodden is anything close to samuel is a joke.......just stop trying so hard to be a homer

Many on this site were pimping Samuel as a top 5 cornerback, and even more had him in the top 10. Those of us who dared to say he was not a top 10 CB were berated. Now, because Samuel has moved on, he's suddenly a stiff in DBs clothing.

talk about mincing and twisting words.........to even attempt to imply that bodden is anything close to samuel is a joke.......just stop trying so hard to be a homer

Well I'm joking then Einstein.:welcome:

Last edited:
Many on this site were pimping Samuel as a top 5 cornerback, and even more had him in the top 10. Those of us who dared to say he was not a top 10 CB were berated. Now, because Samuel has moved on, he's suddenly a stiff in DBs clothing.

Who said he was top-10 before and is calling him a stiff now? I'm just curious.

I thought he was above average but overrated in 2006 and 2007 and still feel the same way now, although I don't get to see him much anymore.

Who said he was top-10 before and is calling him a stiff now? I'm just curious.

I thought he was above average but overrated in 2006 and 2007 and still feel the same way now, although I don't get to see him much anymore.

I'm sorry, if you have that opinion you are the joker.

I know that Clayborn and Haynes were lucky Hobbs and Samuel weren't around back then, because they probably would have quit football.

bottom line is that you have a long way to go to understanding the game if you think bodden is in any way close to samuel as a CB

Problem is, they spend it on the wrong people.

You pay a CB like Asante Samuel whose entering his prime.

Samuel was willing to give the Pats a "hometown discount" when he hadn't really proved himself yet. I.e., it wasn't a discount at all.

As he demonstrated in the Super Bowl, a Hall of Fame talent he's not.

Last edited:
I think this misperception that the NEP don't pay will stick with them for some time. Because those middle class players that the Pats DO PAY are not known well enough nationally. These players are not seen making 'ESPN highlights' enough on game day to warrent significant attention. And so they remain anonymous as do their above average salaries that NEP pays them. It is only getting attention the 'big names' that leave: Asante Samuel, Adam V., McGinest, Ty Law, etc., So the perception that Pats don't pay will continue - and be re-affirmed when Moss leaves for GREENER pastures in 2011.

It is the same as the old misperception that the Pats have a old roster. Just within the last month I have seen a national writer still post this nonsense as to why the Pats are on the decline. The RB position is the only spot where this is still true.

I wish Moss reads this. He's one of my favourite players and I hope doesn't err again by making casual unfounded remarks that smear the team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference