PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Pats' philosophy: Spread the wealth

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did your eyes see (besides him being on the field in Miami the week before the Super Bowl) that Asante does better than Bodden? I'll spot you one...he is better at recognizing when to drop off his man/zone and jump routes. Even with that, Bodden is pretty good. Anything else? Press at the line? Recovery speed? Man coverage? Run support?

Every aspect of his game is better, name something and every time the answer is Samuels > Bodden.

Unless of course you're a constant Asante hater because he left to a team who thought he was worth that money and try endlessly to justify how much better off the team is without him.

When did Asante Samuel turn into Darrel Revis and when did Bodden turn into Deltha O'Neal?

I wish the Pats retained Samuel, but he is not an elite CB. Without a passrush like the Pats were missing last year, he has the potential to be very dangerous.... for his own defense. His gambling style relies on a strong pass rush.

As for Bodden, he is a solid CB. He is not Asante Samuel, but he won't get paid nearly as much.

BTW, why are people giving a poster named Chowda the time of day. He is an obvious troll.

BTW, the Pats were praised for nearly a decade for not having the best roster from one to ten, but the best roster 11 to 53. One bad year and that theory has changed?!?

I trust my eyeballs over silly stats. Bodden couldn't hold Asante's jock.
Yeah, and my eyeballs (along with hundreds of millions more) saw Asante Samuel drop a sure interception at the worst possible time in the history of the New England Patriots. It was a choke job, plain and simple.

Yeah, and my eyeballs (along with hundreds of millions more) saw Asante Samuel drop a sure interception at the worst possible time in the history of the New England Patriots. It was a choke job, plain and simple.

Hopefully they also saw all the great plays that helped win a couple Super Bowls.

Buy hate away, it's fashionable.

Hopefully they also saw all the great plays that helped win a couple Super Bowls.

Please do remind us of all those great plays Samuel made in 2003 and 2004 lol.

gotta love those homers who spoon feed themselves the kool-aid........bodden ain't half the corner samuel is

you can't replace probowlers with backups and expect to stay on top......

the pats have neither kept their probowls nor drafted well to replace the,.

the defense is a mere shell now.

it doesn't matter if you spread the wealth if you let guys like samuel and seymour go and not replace them.....you will lose.

And spare me the Leigh Bodden praise, he's woefully average.
You must have learned player analysis from Tanked. He doesn't have any ysis either.

LOL, name one! Those 3 total INTs in 2003 and 2004 were huge, right?

I can't think of a more overrated Patriot of the past decade.

You mean when he was a back up in 2003 or he was just average in 2004? Samuel didn't become a good CB until after the Pats last Super Bowl win. Samuel's most significant play in a Super Bowl was the dropped INT vs. the Giants that would have given the Pats a 19-0 record if he caught it.

I'm not saying I like the way the Redskins do business but letting go of a great CB in his prime IN A PASSING LEAGUE is not smart.
Smarter than paying him $60 million dollars and having him do squat like in Philly. Know any eagle fans? Ask them how happy they are with Samuel. If they would rather spend $10 mil a year on Samuel, or have Dawkins and Westbrook for roughty the same money.

Smarter than paying him $60 million dollars and having him do squat like in Philly. Know any eagle fans? Ask them how happy they are with Samuel. If they would rather spend $10 mil a year on Samuel, or have Dawkins and Westbrook for roughty the same money.

In fairness, Samuel was very good in the playoffs for the Eagles his first season there after an average season.

gotta love those homers who spoon feed themselves the kool-aid........bodden ain't half the corner samuel is

you can't replace probowlers with backups and expect to stay on top......

the pats have neither kept their probowls nor drafted well to replace the,.

the defense is a mere shell now.

it doesn't matter if you spread the wealth if you let guys like samuel and seymour go and not replace them.....you will lose.

I agree about Seymour.

I agree about Seymour.

a guy like samuel is very expendable if you spend the $$ on a pass rush......a good pass rush allows you to start randall gay and earthwind moreland and win an SB.......

but the real bottom line is that there's no wealth spreading going on .... at least not in any constructive way.......

the thing the middle of the road guys bring is value, and there is really none of that on the team right now.......the only one in the past few years is welker....the rest of them have pretty much been flops

Last edited:
In fairness, Samuel was very good in the playoffs for the Eagles his first season there after an average season.

And in fairness Samuel made some good plays for the Pats over the years and was their best CB when he left. But that doesn't mean you can pay him as much as someone willing to break the bank on him.

And in fairness Samuel made some good plays for the Pats over the years and was their best CB when he left. But that doesn't mean you can pay him as much as someone willing to break the bank on him.

I totally agree. He got paid what Darrell Revis should get and played like a shell of Revis.

I totally agree. He got paid what Darrell Revis should get and played like a shell of Revis.

sure.....but samuel was perfect in the secondary scheme the pats deploy.......revis is a shutdown corner.........samuel is the perfect zone CB......revis can stay with anyone.......samuel reads and gets to the ball......

now one could argue that the value of the shutdown guy is higher, much like the value of a longball WR is higher than that of someone like welker.

there is more value in the right player than most can appreciate.

was samuel worth the $$ in the end? nope, but it was BB's general polcies of not extending until the last possible moment that screwed the pooch on this one.......the pats could have extended samuel for chump change in 2005

Every aspect of his game is better, name something and every time the answer is Samuels > Bodden.

Unless of course you're a constant Asante hater because he left to a team who thought he was worth that money and try endlessly to justify how much better off the team is without him.
Thats a silly argument. You overrate Samuel so anyone who doesn't has to have an agenda. Thats silly.
I'll tell you there are at least 2 things that aren't even close that Bodden is better at than Samuel: Run support and sticking to his assignment instead of gambling.
The only thing you could call Samuel clearly better at is picking off passes, but that is also a function of gambling, which is something that is very frowned upon here.

Because of the cap, it really doesn't matter how much you spend year to year. Tampa has decided to bite the bullet for a couple years instead of patching with free agents, but that's more philosophy. Glazers not cheap, there just isn't a core so letting the youngsters play and losing might make sense. The Skins make big splashes and fall aprt and have to cut players.

The Pats came into the decade with the worst payroll to performance future in football according to a survey of the league by Joel Buschbaum. They gave big contracts to Law and Milloy, Bledsoe and some crap linemen etc., yet had no depth and their record was going downhill.

As they cut some of that BB and co, just looked to find guys to fill roles and look what happened.

That's all that matters, finding guys to do the jobs your style of play requires. That's it. Every team. Doesn't matter if you spend only half the cap. that may seem an exaggeration, but look at that team.

Pretty much, they had a great LB corps and one cornerback in his prime as something they could put in the bank.

Offensive line, they largely had scraps and Damien woody and good coaching. Once Brady came, the short, quick passing game allowed them to prosper with less than all pros (in fact some UDFAs). Receiver? One great overachiever and a good cheap pickup. Etc. Etc. Guys who could do a job showed that all the contract stuff means less than thorough scouting and evaluating what you need to make your style work.

The Colts. Top QB, get him some receivers and keep them. Get one good RB. Get a fierce pass rush and re-sign them. Go to home depot and find the fastest guys you can that are linebacker size.

Seriously, in their championship year, Denver ran through the middle of their defense like they were a girls high school team. They worked and patched with Booger McFarland and tried to scheme away any team that chose to predictably run up the gut and hid their weakness. Sure they choked in the big one, but they still were there, had the ability to play offense and rush the passer and patched elsewhere (obviously they're better when sanders is healthy).

Do I care how the Pats spend their money, not really if they're filling the jobs. Do I care they spend (including picks) big on the line? Not if it doesn't detract elsewhere. do I care they can't re-sign them all? well they made good business with Seymour, though i hate to lose him. I think losing Wilfork would blow a hole in the defense, but I'm not a scout.

My quick evaluation of how the Pats have filled the jobs that I think their best style dictates.

O-Line, they needed better, Brady throws longer now and no one was going to spend less than Woody and the castoffs from 2001. I like what they've done and hope they keep drafting low rounders, though it hasn't borne a lot of fruit. They aren't the Chiefs line from earlier in the decade, but getting a Volmer through great scouting is killer. Seems like good work, reasonable dough, they'll get the job done.

QB, RB they either get lucky or no. Skill positions, you'll pay sooner or later so it's judgment of production.

Receiver. I'm fine with paying Moss, he was an incredible gift as a trade, contract reasonable for his skills. Welker they went out and got. Great so far. Two problems. the easy part, finding ham and eggers to fill the empty spaces.
They crapped out big time with Galloway and the Philly guy (I'm old and it isn't worth looking up). scouting gets an "F" for filling out the receiver corps with a couple average guys who can run routes.

TE? again TE?. They draft them high and low, free agents, guys in front of home depot. Seem to need guys who can block and catch the occasional pass, yet they spend #1's then don't use them. This is where you'd like to take out the game plan and realty decide what do you really need, what will it take to nail it down?

Offensive philosophy- Good spot for this after the TE? section. Do we have one? If we do, what players do we need to execute it? If we have Moss for one more, do we acquire transitional receivers for now and later?

Defense

Secondary BB got by with one great cornerback and Rodney. he got by without one great CB for a year. Face it, he knows DBs.

We've had injury problems and less than stellar play despite hitting big on a 4th, but BB knows how to get the jobs done at this position. Give him some picks and a good free agent in Bodden and I'm excited. Putting resources where you know how to use them.

Defensive Line Hey. First round picks cost money to re-up. BB says this is a position you pay and his picks have been golden. Like the secondary, he knows what he wants here.

Linebacker? Did you say Linebacker?

I'm going to be honest here and just let everyone dump on me. Keystone cops. I really don't know what the plan is, was, will be. Are we close? Obviously this will depend on a large part on our DK. Pryor adds to Green and wright in great backups that can play 4-3, but still play our base D. Again, they seem to know want and how to spend there.

I'll risk ridicule and say I'm not really sure if we have any of the jobs filled at LB. Mayo is a fine player and worth the pick. In a 4-3 he's a solid starter at two positions, in a 3-4, probably a WILB but playing SILB. Why is such a fast guy stuck in a position you least need speed? Guyton seems a nice find, probably a versatile back up, or an OLB in the 4-3. In the 3-4 he plays the position Mayo should be IMO and neither of them is a SILB, so why don't we get one?

Woods is a career back up and special teamer, nothing wrong with that. TBC is a fine pass rusher that doesn't set the edge well enough. If Burgess improves his pass rush and learns the OB position he'll be our one complete OLB, but that's two ifs, and is true only because the guy we out all our chips on hates it here and wants out.

Nincovich seems like a nice pickup for nothing. I don't want to be accused of being negative.:D

I do have some bad news, Eric Alexander was picked up by police in broad daylight and arrested for impersonating a linebacker. Apparently he's sharing a cell with Monty Beisel.

Since I'm already going to get it, let me propose we hire Bill Parcells as a consultant and have him show BB some pictures of the old Giants and Patriots linebacker corps. He and Pepper can perform some group therapy on him. Really don't care how much we spend on this position, but in terms of identifying what we need done and what players we need to get it done. Been a big pile of fail, in my opinion.:bricks:

Thoughts, bricks, small arms fire?

sure.....but samuel was perfect in the secondary scheme the pats deploy.......revis is a shutdown corner.........samuel is the perfect zone CB......revis can stay with anyone.......samuel reads and gets to the ball......

now one could argue that the value of the shutdown guy is higher, much like the value of a longball WR is higher than that of someone like welker.

there is more value in the right player than most can appreciate.

was samuel worth the $$ in the end? nope, but it was BB's general polcies of not extending until the last possible moment that screwed the pooch on this one.......the pats could have extended samuel for chump change in 2005

He wasn't good in 2005, why the hell would they extend a mediocre CB? Should they extend Wilhite right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back