PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Kraft softshoes around Brady's future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I think Belichick has started floating the idea that he wants to move on from Brady at the end of this deal.
????????????

Kraft changing his tune a couple months after Bedard reporting Belichick wants to win a super bowl without Tom? Hmmm...
You just made that up

I think its a bad idea, he looks bad in playoff losses because he doesn't have his only true play maker on offense (Gronk) and has no real outside receiver.

He 'looks bad in playoff losses' because they are losses and some people try to find a target for their frustration.

Robert Kraft: Agents could bungle Wes Welker deal - NFL.com

Kraft maybe indicating they are offering Welker a low deal (5-6 mil a year), take it or buzz off?

Or he may be indicating something different, since you are simply reading between the lines and filling in the blanks.
All we know is that Kraft thinks that both sides want a deal, and one will only happen if both sides agree that the terms of the deal are good for them. Earth shaterring stuff.:rolleyes:

He didn't. And after listening to that segment link from January where he is being badgered by Felger to predict what HC might replace Belichick (his answer of Saban is nonsensical) what he was saying was that Belichick might want to move on from NE and not Brady when his contract runs out. Which Felger believed was after 2013. Although Bedard then says he has heard that another deal may have been signed already and he is here for a while longer. To which Felger says OK, then he wants to move on AFTER Brady leaves which may be in 6 years?

Usually when Kraft stops simply mailing love notes Brady's way and starts talking about dual decisions they are usually in negotiation. After the Superbowl in 2005 Kraft's first comments about Brady were that they would love to extend him PROVIDED he didn't demand Manning money. If he did it would be a tough deal to get done. The parameters of that deal were done about 8 weeks later. And even though he didn't demand Manning money it did get a little testy when the team tried to take advantage of his good nature by nickle and diming the structure of his bonus money.

I would imagine they are in negotiation now. Otherwise what they did last spring in restructuring his existing deal would have been foolish. Painting themselves into a corner cap wise with back to back $21.8M cap hits under a flat cap and making him virtually untagable. Although some of the costly decisions they made on the way to a $20M dead cap last season which necessitated that restructure aren't exactly characteristic of this teams smarter than everyone else mindset, either.

It could also be they are finally getting a little push back from Brady who has been the good soldier at contract time for 12 years only to see them reward that mindset by screwing with his weaponry more than once. This isn't their first contract rodeo, but it will indeed be their last. Brady may be waiting to see what shape this team is leaning towards taking over the next 3-4 seasons before he settles on what he is willing to commit to QBing it for.

What do you consider 'screwing with his weaponry'?

Sadly, there are SOME FANS who have started to say that after the recent playoff loss.

Every family has a crazy uncle, if you know what I mean.

Belichick is simply indicating that he may be interested in continuing to coach after Brady retires, whenever that happens.

Robert Kraft: Agents could bungle Wes Welker deal - NFL.com

Kraft maybe indicating they are offering Welker a low deal (5-6 mil a year), take it or buzz off?

Or reading the actual article, Kraft is just talking about the negotiation process and that even when both sides want a deal, a deal can be blown by negotiators on BOTH SIDES.

The title of that article is misleading. Kraft never blames Welker's agents for potentially bungling the deal. He said that the Patriots lawyers and/or Welker's agent could bungle the deal if both sides do not manage the process properly.

The title of that article is misleading. Kraft never blames Welker's agents for potentially bungling the deal. He said that the Patriots lawyers and/or Welker's agent could bungle the deal if both sides do not manage the process properly.

This is exactly why Belichick and the team go out of their way to make sure that comments in this organization are limited and no one talks too much, because it almost seems like no matter what you say the media is instantly going to take it and turn it into an attention catching headline.

Many people don't even bother to read the actual wording only the headline, so the mediots somehow still manage to get their diluted point across to many readers.

Just this week I read about headlines that stating "Ed Reed ready to move on from Ravens and head to rival Patriots..." We all know that he didn't say anything even close to that, only responded when asked about playing for Belichick.

When Reed tried to exlplain himself in more detail after getting his words twisted the headlines then became "Reed claims he'd never go to New England, says there's 'no chance.' "

Obviously both of those headlines were untrue, and that's just one of the many cases of shaping the headline to attract the reader. These 2 cases about Kraft's comments are exactly the same. It's sickening. He never claimed most of what people are saying regarding either one of Brady or Welker.

Could Kraft ever conceive of seeing Brady play elsewhere?

"That's his choice but I would surely never like to see that happen. I think what he's done for this franchise . . . " Kraft said, his voice trailing off.

Joining in the speculation game with everyone else here, these words to me sound like someone who is carefully choosing what he says. If that is the case then I'd say we have a good shot at the contract negotiation/extention with Brady that many have expected.

Kraft's remarks are typical corporate speak during negotiations. Reluctantly, I am trying to gear myself up for a post Welker season. I fail to see how the team will be "improved" in BB's parlance without the indomitable hobbit in the slot.

yeah not worried about brady yet...still 2 more years...we just have to get use to welker playing for another team next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft