PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Kraft softshoes around Brady's future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a guy who is leaving the business part of that decision up to Belichick.

Personally I think Belichick has started floating the idea that he wants to move on from Brady at the end of this deal.

Kraft changing his tune a couple months after Bedard reporting Belichick wants to win a super bowl without Tom? Hmmm...

I think its a bad idea, he looks bad in playoff losses because he doesn't have his only true play maker on offense (Gronk) and has no real outside receiver.

where did Bedard write this?

Belichick staying longer than expected?

He says that Belichick will be here for a while and perhaps want to win one without Brady from "indications from people", reading between the lines someone with some knowledge of Belichick's mindset is giving Bedard info does not seem like random speculation to me.

I don't think BB ever gets rid if Brady unless there's a good deal when it's obvious Brady sucks....at this point in time Brady is still the best QB in nfl, so no dice

Belichick staying longer than expected?

He says that Belichick will be here for a while and perhaps want to win one without Brady from "indications from people", reading between the lines

6a00d83451be8f69e2017c31dbc4a5970b-800wi

someone with some knowledge of Belichick's mindset is giving Bedard info does not seem like random speculation to me.

You're right. It's specific speculation.

Seriously folks, calling Bedard and cheesehead spitballing every imaginary scenario they can think of, anything but speculation is hilarious. Watch the clip.

where did Bedard write this?

He didn't. And after listening to that segment link from January where he is being badgered by Felger to predict what HC might replace Belichick (his answer of Saban is nonsensical) what he was saying was that Belichick might want to move on from NE and not Brady when his contract runs out. Which Felger believed was after 2013. Although Bedard then says he has heard that another deal may have been signed already and he is here for a while longer. To which Felger says OK, then he wants to move on AFTER Brady leaves which may be in 6 years?

Usually when Kraft stops simply mailing love notes Brady's way and starts talking about dual decisions they are usually in negotiation. After the Superbowl in 2005 Kraft's first comments about Brady were that they would love to extend him PROVIDED he didn't demand Manning money. If he did it would be a tough deal to get done. The parameters of that deal were done about 8 weeks later. And even though he didn't demand Manning money it did get a little testy when the team tried to take advantage of his good nature by nickle and diming the structure of his bonus money.

I would imagine they are in negotiation now. Otherwise what they did last spring in restructuring his existing deal would have been foolish. Painting themselves into a corner cap wise with back to back $21.8M cap hits under a flat cap and making him virtually untagable. Although some of the costly decisions they made on the way to a $20M dead cap last season which necessitated that restructure aren't exactly characteristic of this teams smarter than everyone else mindset, either.

It could also be they are finally getting a little push back from Brady who has been the good soldier at contract time for 12 years only to see them reward that mindset by screwing with his weaponry more than once. This isn't their first contract rodeo, but it will indeed be their last. Brady may be waiting to see what shape this team is leaning towards taking over the next 3-4 seasons before he settles on what he is willing to commit to QBing it for.

Wow, Brady's drop off in focus and play in big games is even making his truest believer question him. Maybe this is what Tom needs to hear to light a playoff, big game fire under his ass.

Outplayed by Flacco, Sanchez and Eli in the biggest of games over the last five years isn't sitting well with the boss.

Outplayed by Flacco, Sanchez and Eli in the biggest of games over the last five years isn't sitting well with the boss.
I appreciate the sarcasm

If Brady played against our Defense, I bet he's not outplayed by anyone.

You'd think someone in the media would put an end to a myth of 1 QB outplaying against another as they never play the same defense.

Wow, Brady's drop off in focus and play in big games is even making his truest believer question him. Maybe this is what Tom needs to hear to light a playoff, big game fire under his ass.

Actually, the boss isn't sitting too badly, considering from the amount of prime-time games, sold-out games, extra home playoff games, and all of the merchandise being sold due solely to #12. Any speculation that they are considering trading Brady right now is downright stupid.

Negotiations on an extension appear to be in progress, I'm guessing.

Watched the video. Dont see anything wrong with what he said regarding Brady.

There's really nothing surprising in anything that Kraft said. It's pretty much how many fans feel. I'd like to see Tom Brady retire as a Patriot at the age of 42 with at least one more ring. But, that's not as simple as it seems.

As for any possible "message" that Kraft was or was not sending or trying to send, we'd have to be in the room behind closed doors when Robert and Jonathan Kraft and Bill Belichick are discussing what the organization really feels in the proverbial "cone of silence." To my knowledge, no one posting on this board fills that bill; and if they do, they sure as heck aren't saying anything here about it.

Were Kraft's comments part of a discussion for a contract extension? Possibly.

Were they a signal that the organization would be ready to make a change if Belichick so decided? Possibly.

Were they throwaway comments in which the owner repeated the usual Patriot platitudes about any good player under contract? Possibly, but not as likely since Kraft doesn't make many "throwaway" comments about players.

6a00d83451be8f69e2017c31dbc4a5970b-800wi

You're right. It's specific speculation.

Seriously folks, calling Bedard and cheesehead spitballing every imaginary scenario they can think of, anything but speculation is hilarious. Watch the clip.

You can believe what you want to believe, I believe Bedard is very well connected given that he was allowed access to write that great piece on the hurry up offense and talk with the coach and Brady.

I don't think him being asked a few times who the next coach is threw him into a frenzy like a 5 year old, he knew what he was saying.

You can believe what you want to believe, I believe Bedard is very well connected given that he was allowed access to write that great piece on the hurry up offense and talk with the coach and Brady.

I don't think him being asked a few times who the next coach is threw him into a frenzy like a 5 year old, he knew what he was saying.

I choose not to just believe things. He was spitballing at the prodding of the cheese state host. Of course he knows people and if he wants to pretend he can read Belichick's mind based on that, good luck. I choose to consider mind reading speculation, especially regarding someone so secretive he wouldn't tell you your pants were on fire unless it was required by the league, as speculation.

Anyone else feel as if the Article title is missleading?

Could Kraft ever conceive of seeing Brady play elsewhere?

"That's his choice but I would surely never like to see that happen. I think what he's done for this franchise . . . " Kraft said, his voice trailing off.

That's not exactly oozing with "Get the hell out of here, Tom!"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes