PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran/Jason Cole: Pats had almost no chance with Revis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The job is to go out and win a World Championship because youre part of a Team. Not be as greedy as possible.

No, the player's job is to do what his coaches tell him to do to the best of his abilities.

As long as the player does that it's nobody's business (especially the vast majority of internet warriors who have never even remotely experienced the the physical pain and injuries the player has and still ludicrously mouth off about how the player should take less money to satisfy fans' wishes) whether he wants to be paid as much as possible or is willing to take less to be on a better team.

Reiss answered a question about that in his column, explaining that technically he was never released, because the Pats did not exercise their option for the next year the contract expired making Revis a free agent. Thus he should qualify for a compensatory pick.

Impressive that the same is true for Browner. So our FO brain trust set us up to get compensatory picks for losing two top CBs, after winning the Lombardi with them. Pretty genius, seems to me.

The Sheard signing might cancel out the Browner compensatory pick. I doubt that we will lose the Revis pick because I dont see us signing anyone to a big contract.

this entire article seems like one big excuse for the jets not to get punished for tampering. I have no idea why Revis would like a bad team like the Jets so much but either way we better get one of their draft picks.

Once I knew the Patriots were going to decline the option, I knew he was going back to New York. It just seemed like he loved playing in that city and the Jets could guarantee a lot more money than the Patriots could or were going to. It sucks, but the Pats didn't really have a chance in this one. What's going to be great, years down the line, is knowing that the Jets hamstrung a lot of their cap room for Revis and that the guy helped win a Lombardi for their bitter rivals on a one year rental. Hard to fault the Pats too much for this one and I also can't fault Revis either. He did what is best for him and cashed in in the process.

It's a great power play by Gilbert. If he becomes director of the NFLPA I think everybody better get ready for a lengthy strike some time in the future. I know the CBA goes through 2021 (I believe) but Revis had several years left on his first deal with the Jets too. I can see them walking out up to three year's early. I think Smith screwed up and got the players a lot less than they could have bargained for so don't get me wrong I'm not pro players or owners. I'm about Pro Football and sadly I see a prolonged walkout in all of our futures if Gilbert gets the nod.

Basically Revis held out 3 times on the Jets.

He was traded because Woody wouldn't give him 16 mil 1 year contract post injury.

I bet Revis wasn't used to playing 3 extra games each year. Let's face it, he only got paid @$180,000 for those three extra games the Patriots forced him to play at the end of the season. He will make basically a million dollars a game with the Jets and won't have to worry about playing those pesky games after the regular season for short money.

No, the player's job is to do what his coaches tell him to do to the best of his abilities.

As long as the player does that it's nobody's business (especially the vast majority of internet warriors who have never even remotely experienced the the physical pain and injuries the player has and still ludicrously mouth off about how the player should take less money to satisfy fans' wishes) whether he wants to be paid as much as possible or is willing to take less to be on a better team.

Sure am glad Tom Brady is the Pats QB and not Peyton Manning.

One has the bigger trophy case and the other the bigger bank account.

Never said you shouldn't be glad about players choosing to take less to come here. I'm glad too when they do that!

Just that calling players losers, selfish, etc. for taking top dollar is lame.

One has the bigger trophy case and the other the bigger bank account.
Yes but the Brady family bank account is probably much bigger

But please, let's not act like these guys face normal circumstances, or have normal decision making criteria.

That isn't even marginally relevant. $100,000 is an ungodly amount of money to the $30,000 wage earner. But the $250,000 guy could barely live on it.

Every tier has its own needs and desires. There is no "normal", especially when you might have to live 60+ years on it and want to develop multi-generational wealth. That doesn't even count the entourages or extended families a lot of these guys have.

Even bringing it back down to normalcy, I'm a CFP and I've seen families grow their incomes from $50,000 to $200,000 without being able to save any additional money. Desires have a remarkable ability to insert themselves at every opportunity, and once they're there it's like removing barnacles.

Guys, Jason Cole has some differences with Bill Belichick and thinks this is a case where he should have made an exception and matched the Jets offer. Do you think maybe we have the wrong guy running the team? Think of how good this franchise would be had Cole taken over in 2000.

Never said you shouldn't be glad about players choosing to take less to come here. I'm glad too when they do that!

Just that calling players losers, selfish, etc. for taking top dollar is lame.

Looks like Peyton Manning is the loser after all those seasons getting every nickel he could and then the Colts could not afford a defense.

Right now Revis doesn't hurt the Jets because they have no franchise QB to pay and they have a cash surplus from not doing these crazy deals the past couple of years. Bears watching if the Jets will need to go back to Revis for future cap relief so NY can field a better team and he tells them no.

I suppose you will say "damn right F them"

But we gave McCourty 28 million guaranteed. Would we really not go more than that for Revis?

McCourty is 27 and has never blown out his ACL. I think the overlooked factor here, though, is that the Patriots think Revis will just hold out in a few years anyway, so any "wins" for them with a reasonable rate on the back-end of the contract is jut window dressing. Sounds like the cold reality hit them that Revis isn't a guy who was made to play for them long-term.

But since the last 2 years are not guaranteed he can be released no problem. At 33 that might not be a bad idea, especially since the team will likely be transitioning QBs.

If Gilbert gets in as NFLPA President the NFL will be on a collision course for a lock out.

I don't see any reason for concern. Roger Goodell has skillfully handled every issue, no matter how large or small, that has faced the league during his tenure. Defusing this potential situation will be child's play for him.

But we gave McCourty 28 million guaranteed. Would we really not go more than that for Revis?

You're making the same mistake many of the mediots are -- confusing potential guaranteed money with total guaranteed money.

Revis's guaranteed money is all guaranteed from the second the league approves the contract. NE generally doesn't do that. NE will guarantee money, but with some or all of the guaranteed money guaranteed year-by-year, usually at the start of the league year.

Unless McCourty's $28 mil is completely, up-front guaranteed (I don't think it is but could be wrong), it is meaningless to compare that to Revis's guaranteed amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back