PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crumpler close to deal with Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christian Fauria spoke with Christopher Price about what Crumpler should expect. He says the more plays you make, the more touches you'll see, which certainly makes sense. Also says Pats tight ends don't get as many passes thrown their way because on 3rd down the Pats are likely to go to their slot receiver, while most NFL teams target their TE on third down.

It Is What It Is Fauria offers advice for Crumpler

Price also has another column about Crumpler and the Pats' history at tight end in another column where he points out Crumpler will be the Pats' 14th tight end to start since 2000.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/f.../03/18/crumpler-pats-latest-attempt-stabilize-

Honestly, I'm not going to say that I'm glad for or disappointed in the forthcoming signing of Crumpler. But he'll provide depth at a reasonable salary I expect to read. He's thirty-two and will turn thirty-three in December. So he'll be this age (thirty-two) for most of the regular season.

The one concern I've is that the assumption is, Crumpler will start and a rookie will learn behind him next season. I agree with that logic but, in this case, I disagree. Whoever New England decides to draft, presumingly in the second round, at tight end. I want him to start his rookie season. In my opinion, the position is wide open for a starter and that starter should be the longterm answer. I see Crumpler as someone who has been signed to be a veteran presence/leader and solid blocker at tight end. I prefer not to see him start. I'm guessing he'll sign for one or two years. Why not let the rookie compete for the starting job? If he's a worthy second round pick, he should win that battle in training camp. Because you want Brady to develop a good rapport with the rookie from the start. And Brady isn't getting younger. He needs to familiarize himself with his new targets now. That is, his new targets at tight end, wide receiver (this may include Brandon Tate) and running back.

I fully expect the Patriots to retool during this off-season. I mean there could be a new starting tight end and running back, and wide receiver playing opposite Moss if he isn't Edelman. Moreover, Vollmer likely will become a full-time starter on the offensive line.

Don't like the move but I guess it's better than having no TE's on the roster.

Smells too much like the failed Kyle Brady signing. Would rather have Watson back.

Kyle Brady was much older by the time he was signed and was recognized almost exclusvely as a blocking tight end whose physical skills had already deteriorated by the time we got him. Crumples has always been reliable in the passing game and is known for his good hands. He surely isn't nearly as athletic as he once was, but his ability to get open and catch the ball far exceeds those of Kyle Brady, while his blocking is at least on par.

Probably isn't going to help much in the passing game, but we need TE's desperately and should serve well in the running game.

The one concern I've is that the assumption is, Crumpler will start and a rookie will learn behind him next season.

We did have a decent young TE (Thomas), but we traded him away. Can't complain about this pick up but it's a short term solution.

Pats run 2 TE alot anyway, so I'm not sure what the problem is.
Not that it matters of course, but I personally think this is a good signing.

We did have a decent young TE (Thomas), but we traded him away. Can't complain about this pick up but it's a short term solution.

Thomas never showed squat while he was here. One good game was about it. He was 'made of glass'.

I very much like this signing. Crumpler still has a lot to offer, and quality veterans, like him, can also call on their experience to help them keep an edge as the physical skills diminish. They've SEEN just about everything, so they can anticipate the defense's moves faster than a younger player can.

Thomas never showed squat while he was here. One good game was about it. He was 'made of glass'.

He showed quite a bit in the preseason last year, for whatever that's worth.

I didnt see anything out of Thomas that would make me call him 'decent' unless the going definition of 'decent' is a 50/50 to make the team.

Crumpler could be an important pick up for this team. He has experience in the red zone and he's turned into an excellent blocker. With their struggles offensively last year in the red zone, I see them getting back to the play action and the run game inside the thirty. A guy like Crumpler could make a huge impact. You don't need to throw to the TE ten times a game if you can throw it effectively four times a game.

For what's it's worth I've always liked the name "Crumpler"

Not sad to see Watson move on and by all accounts Baker was a knucklehead so I am all in on signing "The Crumpler-Nator:

Big Limb-
6 TDS, most within 10 yds.

Book It.

Last edited:
Not to rain on the parade, but I watched this guy throughout his career, and I must say that his hands are no better than Ben Watson's hands. He drops quite a few after each spectacular play.

On the flip side, he should work out to be a definite upgrade as a blocker. We'll just have to see what happens.

This would be a borderline nice/meh signing. Hopefully he comes to camp in shape:rolleyes:

Something is holding up this deal. I've been hearing "close to a deal" for quite some time now.

Something is holding up this deal. I've been hearing "close to a deal" for quite some time now.

Crumpler, Patriots hook up - The Boston Globe

Things still seem to be looking good though...

I've always liked Crumpler and hope he can do more than just block - but his work ethic is sending a clear message to the other players regarding what sort of guys Belichick wants to bring in and keep, just as with Wilfork.

Last edited:
From this mornings discussion with Kraft at the owners meetings per Reiss:

New tight end Alge Crumpler should be on board soon. Asked where things stand on a possible deal with veteran free-agent tight end Alge Crumpler, Kraft said he thought something might be finalized by the end of the NFL’s annual meeting Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes