PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Daily News Thread NEW ARTICLE: Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes

Daily news threads with relevant news, stories, video, or additional content around the team. Feel free to contribute anything interesting you come across as well, which will hopefully make these helpful for people to keep up with what's going on with the team by having all the news in one place.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Ian Logue
The most likely partner for the New England Patriots continues to be the Minnesota Vikings, who appear to be coveting Drake Maye. However, it may take making a deal with New England for that to happen since the Patriots are said to also be high on the North Carolina quarterback.

The post Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Yeah, it definitely feels like there's a lot of smoke with the Vikings. The problem with trading with them and trying to move back up for McCarthy is then the Pats are competing with the Giants and others and don't have as good ammo to try to move back up.

Agree with @mike_usagisan ... Just thinking through it... Say Maye goes at 2.

Vikings trade 11, 23, their third rounder this year and a 2025 first rounder to move up for Daniels at 3.

Patriots now want to go up to 4 for McCarthy, but so do the Giants. Giants can offer the 6th overall pick, only two slots down. So it's hard for NE to compete with what they can offer. They'd need to overpay to some degree. Realistically speaking, they may also be competing with Denver, who's right in a similar range. Although, Arizona already has two firsts (4 and 27) and three thirds this year, and a high second (35) so they may not want a lot of picks this year and may prefer to stock up in the future.

I think if the Pats did trade back they'd probably want to hold their bounty and not turn around and spend most of it again just to go back up. If McCarthy fell a few slots, perhaps, but otherwise they'd probably wait.

Agree with @mike_usagisan ... Just thinking through it... Say Maye goes at 2.

Vikings trade 11, 23, their third rounder this year and a 2025 first rounder to move up for Daniels at 3.

Patriots now want to go up to 4 for McCarthy, but so do the Giants. Giants can offer the 6th overall pick, only two slots down. So it's hard for NE to compete with what they can offer. They'd need to overpay to some degree. Realistically speaking, they may also be competing with Denver, who's right in a similar range. Although, Arizona already has two firsts (4 and 27) and three thirds this year, and a high second (35) so they may not want a lot of picks this year and may prefer to stock up in the future.
Yeah, I think that's why they took a good long look at Penix (that kind of sounds wrong). If they go down, I think they'll have a hard time getting back up for McCarthy.

I still go back to the example of the Texans. They got Mills to tread water while they built up the rest of the team. If the Pats go down to Penix, I'm thinking it might be a similar approach.

Yeah, it definitely feels like there's a lot of smoke with the Vikings. The problem with trading with them and trying to move back up for McCarthy is then the Pats are competing with the Giants and others and don't have as good ammo to try to move back up.
You move back to 11 you’re pretty much resigned to the fact you likely won’t get JJ, but you might get Penix.

There’s also an outside chance one of these QB’s tumbles down the board to 11, you never know on draft day… if you’ve seen the movie.

Yeah, I think that's why they took a good long look at Penix (that kind of sounds wrong). If they go down, I think they'll have a hard time getting back up for McCarthy.

I still go back to the example of the Texans. They got Mills to tread water while they built up the rest of the team. If the Pats go down to Penix, I'm thinking it might be a similar approach.
"That kind of sounds wrong".... next two phrases are "if they go down" and then "hard time getting ... up" ..... goodness gracious, Mike, do you talk to your mother with that mouth?

Joking aside, I do think they'd really consider going with a "Tier 2" option at QB if they got a really good trade offer. If anything, I kind of think they're hoping they get that offer and are kind of faking how much they love these QBs. Just a hunch of mine. They're good, sure, but I get the vibe that Wolf and co. would rather have extra picks to shore up their offensive roster, and their talk of "6 QBs being good" kind of tells me that maybe they don't think the gap between Maye/Daniels and guys like Nix or Penix later is really that much, especially if it was a difference between only Maye or Daniels vs. Penix plus also a very good tackle or receiver plus more later this draft/next year in high draft capital. And I mean, maybe McCarthy falls a few slots and you can get him around 8 or 9 with a small trade up from 11 that doesn't cost that much. Who knows.

"That kind of sounds wrong".... next two phrases are "if they go down" and then "hard time getting ... up" ..... goodness gracious, Mike, do you talk to your mother with that mouth?

Joking aside, I do think they'd really consider going with a "Tier 2" option at QB if they got a really good trade offer. If anything, I kind of think they're hoping they get that offer and are kind of faking how much they love these QBs. Just a hunch of mine. They're good, sure, but I get the vibe that Wolf and co. would rather have extra picks to shore up their offensive roster, and their talk of "6 QBs being good" kind of tells me that maybe they don't think the gap between Maye/Daniels and guys like Nix or Penix later is really that much, especially if it was a difference between only Maye or Daniels vs. Penix plus also a very good tackle or receiver plus more later this draft/next year in high draft capital. And I mean, maybe McCarthy falls a few slots and you can get him around 8 or 9 with a small trade up from 11 that doesn't cost that much. Who knows.
Ha ha... the Penix jokes are just going to keep growing.

Yeah, I think you nailed it about the feeling that they're less in love with Maye than they want us to believe. (But maybe that's what they want us to believe?) I'd love to see McAdoo's evaluations of the top 6 to have a better sense of how close he thinks that second tier is to the top tier.

Ha ha... the Penix jokes are just going to keep growing.

Yeah, I think you nailed it about the feeling that they're less in love with Maye than they want us to believe. (But maybe that's what they want us to believe?) I'd love to see McAdoo's evaluations of the top 6 to have a better sense of how close he thinks that second tier is to the top tier.
"keep growing".
Beavis And Butthead Comedy GIF by Paramount+

Don't sleep on the Broncos... reported they are willing to offer a kings ransom for our #3.. includes surtain.. also the teams been in contact with eagles regarding AJ.. we are in the driver's seat.. mayo can really charge up the fan base with a trade for AJ..

You move back to 11 you’re pretty much resigned to the fact you likely won’t get JJ, but you might get Penix.

There’s also an outside chance one of these QB’s tumbles down the board to 11, you never know on draft day… if you’ve seen the movie.
I'd have no problem with penix if it did in fact go that way.

Don't sleep on the Broncos... reported they are willing to offer a kings ransom for our #3.. includes surtain.. also the teams been in contact with eagles regarding AJ.. we are in the driver's seat.. mayo can really charge up the fan base with a trade for AJ..
I hope you're right. It'd be great if there's a bidding war for it... if they're really ok with taking Penix later. The fact that there's so much speculation about the Pats and a trade, whereas I've seen almost none for the Cobra Commanders, makes me think the Wolf is orchestrating this intentionally.

I hope you're right. It'd be great if there's a bidding war for it... if they're really ok with taking Penix later.
Screenshot_20240422_135205_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20240421_100515_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yes, I agree. I'm really warming up to taking penix.. I just have a feeling about him... I believe he's a sleeper pick..

With the extra ammo they’d have a much better shot at an impact left tackle and superweapon WR as well.
Agreed.. we need a LT and possibly a C. As well.

With the extra ammo they’d have a much better shot at an impact left tackle and superweapon WR as well.
That is the proposition - with picks 11 + 23 you can make a couple small moves and potentially pull something off like Odunze+Penix together, and pick 34 can be a tackle. Plus Penix is a lefty, so now Onwenu is your blindside protector, meaning your "left tackle problem" is suddenly not a very big problem anymore.

Agreed.. we need a LT and possibly a C. As well.
A center? Jake Andrews is probably the guy if he continues to develop. He was a great prospect.

A center? Jake Andrews is probably the guy if he continues to develop. He was a great prospect.
Well yeah center. I'd still like to have some depth there. Jake Andrews was filling in at tackle wasn't he?

That is the proposition - with picks 11 + 23 you can make a couple small moves and potentially pull something off like Odunze+Penix together, and pick 34 can be a tackle. Plus Penix is a lefty, so now Onwenu is your blindside protector, meaning your "left tackle problem" is suddenly not a very big problem anymore.
I’d only make that trade with them to get both first this year, not interested in future picks.

The Pats could trade back again with the second first round pick and take two impact players at the top of the second round. Get that QB, LT and WR.

Well yeah center. I'd still like to have some depth there. Jake Andrews was filling in at tackle wasn't he?
Last year was an injury disaster, I also think Klemm was teaching west coast schemes to an Earnhardt-Perkins team. The offense was a mess.

I thought Jake Andrews and Antonio Mafi struggled early in the season, but showed progress and had some bright spots later in the season.

Sow was more advanced leaving camp, he was looking great then got injured and/or got covid I think, but he looks penciled in as a starter for me.

Last year was an injury disaster, I also think Klemm was teaching west coast schemes to an Earnhardt-Perkins team. The offense was a mess.

I thought Jake Andrews and Antonio Mafi struggled early in the season, but showed progress and had some bright spots later in the season.

Sow was more advanced leaving camp, he was looking great then got injured and/or got covid I think, but he looks penciled in as a starter for me.
Sow and Mafi are good young ascending players so no concerns there. Dave Andrews is one injury away from retirement when is his contract up again? I thought he took Pennies anyway on the last contract.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back