Status
Not open for further replies.
How exciting

What could be our only FA signing is a 97 year old TE

awesome

How exciting

awesome

FA stands for Free Agent right? We have signed a few of those, and it really doesn't matter where they played last year either.

Crumpler is 32 and has missed only five regular season games in his career. He was once a top TE, and should be at least serviceable for a couple of years.

More likely is that we will get more value from him than from any TE since Graham left.

Last edited:
How exciting

awesome

I beleive he is 32.....Under the rules this year you have to be in the league more than 6 years to be unrestricted so say most people leave college around 22 that leaves the younger UFAs at around 28 so what exactly is the complaint?

Decent signing. The way we have used TEs this is a good signing as he is a better blocker. No long term answer and likely need someone to compliment him but at least it takes away an immediate need and should allow for more important things early in the draft

Last edited:
FA stands for Free Agent right? We have signed a few of those, and it really doesn't matter where they played last year either.

lol

resigning our own players isn't noteworthy

It would have been an embarrassment if we couldn't keep our team intact.

lol

resigning our own players isn't noteworthy

It would have been an embarrassment if we couldn't keep our team intact.

They are not "our own", they were free agents who played for us last year. Do you realize what free agency is? It's not a gimick so that bad players can go to other teams. Every year teams lose their "own". It is absolutely noteworthy signing valuable long-term contracts to top-end talent, regardless if you happen to have had them under contract last year. But continue on in your kvetching in March.

Last edited:
It's the right thing to do. Crumpler's generally regarded as the best UFA TE remaining. I just hope that he turns out better than Kyle Brady & Chris Baker.

Now that he has a new eligible receiver on the roster, maybe Brady will come to Foxborough as soon as Crumpler arrives, and the 2 of them can work on some chain-moving patterns.

P.S.: I also hope that with this signing, Bill doesn't do something stupid on draft weekend like using one of our top 4 picks on a TE.

Last edited:
You want Belichick not to draft a tight end? I think that we would need to sign or trade for at least one more if we do not want a signing in the first four rounds.

I also hope that with this signing, Bill doesn't do something stupid on draft weekend like using one of our top 4 picks on a TE.

Last edited:
P.S.: I also hope that with this signing, Bill doesn't do something stupid on draft weekend like using one of our top 4 picks on a TE.
Why not? I like a number of the TE's in the draft, and we could certainly use a long-term answer at the position.

They are not "our own", they were free agents who played for us last year. Do you realize what free agency is? It's not a gimick so that bad players can go to other teams. Every year teams lose their "own". It is absolutely noteworthy signing valuable long-term contracts to top-end talent, regardless if you happen to have had them under contract last year. But continue on in your kvetching in March.

Awesome

hopefully we can be .500 next season

YEAH!

Why do we sign a TE if we really need them to block. Seriously ... why not use 3 OT's with one of them receiver eligible? ... and yes ... I am serious. If I was Belichick I would draft Jared Veldheer ... all 6'9" / 321 pounds of him. Let him be our new TE ... float a few 5 yard passes to him every once in a while.;) He should be there when we pick our final 2nd rounder. If we trade back he might be there in the 3rd.

Last edited:
TE has not been a priority for us for a while, no real production. Our greatest need is a blocking TE, anything more is a bonus. QB protect is a high necessity now that Brady is getting older. Our team has still got a lot of other needs.

Welcome Crumpler ... okay whose next ... ;););)

Last edited:
Why do we sign a TE if we really need them to block. Seriously ... why not use 3 OT's with one of them receiver eligible? ... and yes ... I am serious. If I was Belichick I would draft Jared Veldheer ... all 6'9" / 321 pounds of him. Let him be our new TE ... float a few 5 yard passes to him every once in a while.;) He should be there when we pick our final 2nd rounder. If we trade back he might be there in the 3rd.

Well, I don't see any OTs as really capable of filling a TE role, but you can get good blocking tight ends from the 4th round and on. It's the pass catching skills that puts TEs in the first couple of rounds. So no tight end until the 4th round.

I really like this signing...Alot of Chris Johnson's big runs last season were either off tackle or outside....In either case crumpler need to make a block whether he kicks out the defender (OFFTackle) or he seals the defender (outside runs) so obviously he can still get the job done as a blocker which is huge for a team like ours that doesn't use a FB....Plus like most have mentioned he is still faster than a backup OT and can catch better...Overall I really like this signing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back