PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Jarvis Green be moving to linebacker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted the same question about Green as Keegs weeks ago and got the same ridicule. I'm quietly watching and waiting.

There was that excellent post some months ago about the various LB positions which noted the SOLB is the most unique and difficult to fill. All I know is that McG was very big, quick, and disruptive...as is Green. McG was not used in "deep" space that often in recent years with Bruschi, Phifer, and Vrabel so multi-talented. How often did we really see McG on a TE or RB more than a few paces from the LOS?

BB likes to get the most talented players on the field and molds the formations and strategies to enable that. Green has been knocking on the starters' door for awhile now. It seems likely to me that he's going to see more playing time with McG gone...but like I said, I'm quietly watching and waiting. That's what makes this team so fun to watch!

Of the DL linemen on the roster, if one had to switch to OLB then it would be Green. But for the team to convert a veteran DE to OLB then I would say the would have to really, really run out of other options.

teamplay said:
All I know is that McG was very big, quick, and disruptive...as is Green.

McG was very big and quick FOR A LB of 270 pounds. Green is quick, I guess, FOR A DL. There's a difference.

Having been snotty and overly obnoxious to two posters now, I would like to say this:

I've had two Frozen margaritas and...IF you're right, I'd be thrilled. I just think it's a pipe-dream. Sorry if I've been too harsh.

Pats726 said:
He has played at LB....back in 03...I believe the Mia game...(at Mia)..he filled in for WillieMcG who was out..an interesting idea....

You're absolutely correct. Jarvis started at OLB @Miami in '03. That was the game the Pats won in OT. Willie was hurt. Vrabel had a broken arm. The starting OLBs were Chatham and Green.

However, it's worth noting that the game plan was clearly to shut down Ricky Williams at all costs. The Pats played a base 46 defense that day - with the DEs playing over the Guards. And although Jarvis was technically and OLB, his responsibility was basically to stuff the guy in front of him, get some penetration, and set the edge. Miami's brilliant coaching staff, headed by Dave Wanstedt, wasn't able to make the adjustment and attack Jarvis' weakness, which is obviously the ability to play in space.

Personally, I don't think it's an outrageous idea. I do think Jarvis will have the same exact problems Kecko has - he lacks COD quickness and he can't break down & tackle in space. To say nothing of his coverage.

Moving Green to OLB in an emergency situation during the middle of the season is not the same thing as converting him during the offseason when you have the opportunity to bring in a true OLB but choose not to. Interesting info on the Miami game though.

No, nunca, nyet.

Hey, I've got an idea... why dont we play Jarvis at LT?!?

rookboston - the voice of reason. Bless you.

pats1 said:
sucks2.jpg

I hate offseason speculation!

52 more days, damnit!

Bro that is awesome.. Got a good laugh out of me!

Hey, we should move Rosevelt Colvin to strong safety.

wow for something thats actually already happened for one game, im surprised to see so many ridiculous comments.
According to this page, hes 273.

It was just a question as to whether it was possible or not.

Hopefully it does happen (again), and when it does, Frozen Margarita guy and his posse stop jerking each other off online.

re

patsox23 said:
Do you guys think Rodney - when he's back from PUP, of course! - might be used at LB? I think he could do it! He came up and supported the run sometimes! Wheeee!!!!

Don't forget Tom Brady caught a pass before and looked unembarassing as a wide receiver out there. We could have Cassel at QB with Brady lined out wide. Whee!

maverick4 said:
Don't forget Tom Brady caught a pass before and looked unembarassing as a wide receiver out there. We could have Cassel at QB with Brady lined out wide. Whee!
and the *********** continues.

funny tho.

maverick4 said:

I remember that play against the Bills in '02. Faulk threw a TD to Brady running down the sideline. That was really cool but it was called back because of two many moving in the backfield or something like that. Still really cool though.

Dude, the fact that OUT OF NECESSITY the Patriots were forced to play Jarvis at OLB has absolutely no bearing on anything. Just let it go. It's not going to happen. Not the worst thing in the world, and I'm sorry if I was too harsh, but your point is off-base and reenforced by simplistic thinking.

Last edited:
zippo59 said:
I remember that play against the Bills in '02. Faulk threw a TD to Brady running down the sideline. That was really cool but it was called back because of two many moving in the backfield or something like that. Still really cool though.

I thought it was in the Miami game and it was to like the 10yrd line. It was in December 01. I was wondering while watching the whole time, where the hell is Brady going??

zippo59 said:

I think the one most people remember is the one in 2001 where it was Faulk to Brady in the late season Miami game at NE. That one stood, though it wasn't for a TD. TB got ran out of bounds after a 20-something yard gain.

alright after reading through all of this babble I have come to one conclusion... it WAS A QUESTION!!! There isnt all too much else going on minus Ty Law gibberish and analyzing a trade of two players who have both been considerable busts.
The Patriots HAVE done weirder/different (however you want to look at it) things. (troy brown a CB ring a bell??? playing with 2 down lineman???) Give the guy a break, state why you do or dont think it would work and move on. Thats all I got

Last edited by a moderator:
patsox23 said:
Can we please - for the love of God - do SOMETHING about the newbies? Is it that school has let out? For God's sake, Jarvis Green is NOT switching to F-ing linebacker! Christ.

I don't even have a nice way to say it so STFU already.

patsox23 said:
Having been snotty and overly obnoxious to two posters now, I would like to say this:

I've had two Frozen margaritas and...IF you're right, I'd be thrilled. I just think it's a pipe-dream. Sorry if I've been too harsh.

Two frozen margaritas is an excuse for a lightweight high schooler to be a ********. Unless you are a lightweight high schooler, I'm just not buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes