PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cole Strange ... Sell me on him moving to Tackle

I think we drafted him thinking he will be our lead guard in a new Shanahan style offense with a lot of zone blocking that fits his athletic style. We had Matty P lead our experiment which was such a colossal failure we reverted back to our old offense. He's not a good fit, and he's not very good. I wonder how he'd be at Center once Andrews leaves/retires. He had experience in college.

Nah… next season is next season.

They should extend Trent Brown on a short term deal for next year. They should also draft another young OT after they secure a new QB.

If Strange and Onwenu return this season move Sow to RT and replace Lowe. Lowe could possibly make a decent backup… but he’s no starter.

Brown, Strange, Andrews, Onwenu and Sow is their best lineup… we just haven’t seen it once this season due to injuries.

I think we drafted him thinking he will be our lead guard in a new Shanahan style offense with a lot of zone blocking that fits his athletic style. We had Matty P lead our experiment which was such a colossal failure we reverted back to our old offense. He's not a good fit, and he's not very good. I wonder how he'd be at Center once Andrews leaves/retires. He had experience in college.
I agree with that (zone blocking) and when it didn’t work…trying him at LT made the most sense…however sense was lacking.

why not? maybe rotate him in with Anderson to keep Mac's beatings down a bit. This season is now about figuring who we keep for the longer term. I would trade Trent Brown immediately before he gets hurt or quits on us again. Right now he's playing pretty good, so we might get something for him. He'll eventually revert to form and we'll end up getting nothing. Worth a shot to see if Strange can do it. And keep the rookies playing guard and see how they turn out.

Since they already wasted a 1st round pick on a guard and there's no going back, won't hurt to try.

I like the idea of making a experiment at Center as well, we need a better Center than Andrew's and is just as difficult (if not more) to draft a good one or acquire in free agency than tackle.

Center is a whole other animal, not only physically but mentally. The center makes all the line calls (blocking assignments). Andrews was a multi year starter at Georgia (where the people he played against are in the NFL, not selling insurance now) so he has that experience already.

Strange has barley even played this year and when he has, he has stunk!

I’d call Shanahan and see if the Pats can get that fifth rounder for him!

BTW Neal was an undrafted free agent, Armstrong was the 23rd pick in the draft after playing at Louisville. Not po dunk state like Strange. Armstrong played nearly ever game and was a 6 time pro bowler. Strange has already missed more games than Armstrong did in his entire career. Comparing Strange to Armstrong is akin to comparing Mac to Brady!

...BTW Neal was an undrafted free agent, Armstrong was the 23rd pick in the draft after playing at Louisville. Not po dunk state like Strange. Armstrong played nearly ever game and was a 6 time pro bowler. Strange has already missed more games than Armstrong did in his entire career. Comparing Strange to Armstrong is akin to comparing Mac to Brady!

Bingo... Not only that, but Logan Mankins was Fresno State's starting Left Tackle every game he played there... Last I checked his Bulldogs were a Division One team also...

Cole Strange has been about as disappointing as when they took him in the draft. If selected in the 3rd round he wouldn’t garner half the criticism he gets.

Tried to be as positive and hopeful as I could be and felt the Patriots were one of the better teams that draft oline for a lot of years so it would work itself out. Just watching Travis Jones throw him around like a rag doll during senior bowl practices should of showed us all we needed to know about this guy. And then they passed on the NT that tossed this guy around like a rag doll lol. That wasn’t like captain hindsight. That was captain obvious and he played right in your backyard at Uconn.

Put him at right tackle - won’t have to run as much and will only be injured 1/2 as much!

Cole Strange has been about as disappointing as when they took him in the draft. If selected in the 3rd round he wouldn’t garner half the criticism he gets.

Tried to be as positive and hopeful as I could be and felt the Patriots were one of the better teams that draft oline for a lot of years so it would work itself out. Just watching Travis Jones throw him around like a rag doll during senior bowl practices should of showed us all we needed to know about this guy. And then they passed on the NT that tossed this guy around like a rag doll lol. That wasn’t like captain hindsight. That was captain obvious and he played right in your backyard at Uconn.
Travis Jones is the backup DT behind a guy who has struggled the last 3 years as he bounced from Baltimore, got cut, then came back. We don't know much about Travis Jones yet.

Strange has been hurt, obviously.

If Mayo becomes HC that’s actually a down grade from Bill screw prior commitment go get an offensive coach.
Necro thread for OT (off topic) post? Wow!

what’s this got to do with Strange playing OT (offensive tackle)?

overloaded acronym OT is only connection…

Necro thread for OT (off topic) post? Wow!

what’s this got to do with Strange playing OT (offensive tackle)?

overloaded acronym OT is only connection…
Strange sucked again so why make a new thread to talk about it when there is already a thread about Strange sucking?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back